Very Protective of Frisbee

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'd love to say it is adorable, but this could become an issue.

Teach him to 'leave it' and 'drop it'... show him he will get it and play when you allow it.

Since he is overly excited and growling.. it could become obsessive

We have a similar issue with Lambeau regarding orange balls... we place the ball on the floor and make him wait in a down position if he moves before we release him.. the ball is not given or we do not play -- he is getting better, growling has stopped but he does play grunt.... it is a work in progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You must not let him growl at you. My dog, Maude is obsessed with a ball. We can't "play" ball, because when she gets it, she will not give it up! If I can catch er, I grab her by the harness so I can take it, and throw it. I do not allow any of my dogs to growl at me for any reason. Time to nip it in the bud now. [MENTION=17893]bulldogs1501[/MENTION]

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Nyala too does it but it’s more like a grunting. She won’t give it to you but will bring it to you n take off. She wants you to chase her. So Duke will go after her, take it from her n make make her run for it. But yes if a dog is overprotective of a toy, go get that toy and remove it immediately. Starts with toys n next thing you know it’s a member of the family or a small child and even the other family dog like Duke. Was in Banff (Rockies) yesterday and walking both dogs. Another dogs walks by and barks at Duke n Nyala but nothing mean or whatever just like a friendly happy bark. Nyala out of nowhere turns around, hair up and barks/growled at that dog. She’s getting overprotective of Duke. It’s a few times I’ve noticed that. I immediately put her to her place. Man did I yanked her with a firm NO. She didn’t like that.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Keep in mind if you ever remove the toy, bone .. whatever the obsession is--- remove only from reach, allow them to see it but not get to it. YOU OWN IT, so they only get it when they work for it and you say they can. Also, never trash it when they are able to see.... they obsession will worsen to resource guarding .

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
I have always made sure I took the toy, or the food,from them when they were pups-and sort of (in my mind just dared them to growl)if they did, I would tell them"you don't growl at your Ma" or "no growling", and would make sure to do it when they were eating,too. They don't even growl at each other-OR take each other's food. You had better do it now, before he gets bigger and "owns" it! Never let him growl at you, or anyone in your family-over anything. [MENTION=17893]bulldogs1501[/MENTION]

OP
bulldogs1501

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Thank you for the reply [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]
When I first saw it I thought it was adorable as he's not been like that with any other toy. However the growling yesterday didn't seem right. My girlfriend thought it was normal and him just being a puppy. He tried biting at my hand so I yanked the frisbee and firmly told him NO. He came after the frisbee again and again I was firm and pushed him away. He stopped playing with it. Today when he plays with it, he'll chase after it like any other toy but no longer growls. He's now started to growl at a portable speaker :no: Is the solution to basically stop playing with him and take anything away once he starts to growl? Is it normal if he growls a little when he is trying to play tug of war? I don't really pull on the toy, just hold it and he tries to yank at it.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for the reply [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]
When I first saw it I thought it was adorable as he's not been like that with any other toy. However the growling yesterday didn't seem right. My girlfriend thought it was normal and him just being a puppy. He tried biting at my hand so I yanked the frisbee and firmly told him NO. He came after the frisbee again and again I was firm and pushed him away. He stopped playing with it. Today when he plays with it, he'll chase after it like any other toy but no longer growls. He's now started to growl at a portable speaker :no: Is the solution to basically stop playing with him and take anything away once he starts to growl? Is it normal if he growls a little when he is trying to play tug of war? I don't really pull on the toy, just hold it and he tries to yank at it.

Do not stop playing.. just make sure you control when and how long... you did right with the taken away and firm NO.

You'll learn the difference in his growls.. it is hard to explain but there is a difference in play growl/grunts and I'm pissed growls... continue playing because if you stop he could potentially develop other issues

Please keep us posted

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, I have been thinking of the difference in growls, but couldn't figure how to explain it. Once your dog learns he can not and does not growl at anyone-once you really get to know your dog-there IS a difference in play growling, and growling! Yes, do not stop playing with him!

OP
bulldogs1501

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
I have a sense for the different growls, the one with the frisbee was definitely different. That's why I wanted to ask you all that are much more experienced than I am. Only 2 months in and trying to be the best dad I can be :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have a sense for the different growls, the one with the frisbee was definitely different. That's why I wanted to ask you all that are much more experienced than I am. Only 2 months in and trying to be the best dad I can be :)

Great work! It is a journey... and we will be here to help you along

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.