Someone's not pulling anymore!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Harness are GREAT but not to train. Nyala's cut. She's observing.
0303d77ad84ca5fbc4b827e6e9bce642.jpg
7e66c4038b14cc4d20ff77264bbcb513.jpg
2abcf8dd121b0ca6069c7479c83e6e2b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I use a Martingale collar on Louie. He used to be perfect on walks but as heā€™s gotten older heā€™s gotten crazier. I need to take him out and work with him more. Iā€™ve taken both boys at the same time a couple times and oy!

Tell me about the double lead you have going on with Duke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I use a Martingale collar on Louie. He used to be perfect on walks but as heā€™s gotten older heā€™s gotten crazier. I need to take him out and work with him more. Iā€™ve taken both boys at the same time a couple times and oy!

Tell me about the double lead you have going on with Duke.

That's the lead that belong to my GS Major. Was a leather maker in Nova Scotia Canada. I basically had put stronger clips as Major was 125lbs n trained but had issues with other dogs. I did see some about 10yrs ago at a pet shop but cant remember which one except was original clips. Still sturdy but not for Major. In the middle there's a ring that you can wrap around your shoulder n clip around your waist. I use to jog and had Major with me. Great if you want to tie your dog around a pole/tree as there's a few rings on the leash. I never threw it out as I always thought one day I'll get another big dog but got 2 half the size of Major lol. Once Duke stops pulling completely and walks like Nyala, I will just clip both dogs on the same leash.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
That's the lead that belong to my GS Major. Was a leather maker in Nova Scotia Canada. I basically had put stronger clips as Major was 125lbs n trained but had issues with other dogs. I did see some about 10yrs ago at a pet shop but cant remember which one except was original clips. Still sturdy but not for Major. In the middle there's a ring that you can wrap around your shoulder n clip around your waist. I use to jog and had Major with me. Great if you want to tie your dog around a pole/tree as there's a few rings on the leash. I never threw it out as I always thought one day I'll get another big dog but got 2 half the size of Major lol. Once Duke stops pulling completely and walks like Nyala, I will just clip both dogs on the same leash.

So youā€™re using that along with a choke collar? So when he starts pulling, you pull on the choke? Maybe I should try a double on Louie. I notice when I take him on a walk alone, he doesnā€™t pull as much. But when heā€™s with Jax itā€™s like he has to be in front.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Way to go Duke! He looks way bigger than Nyala now. How much is he weighing in at?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Ha!ha! Love the look on Nyala's face in #2. "is he ever gonna' stop pulling,Ma?"

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Way to go Duke! He looks way bigger than Nyala now. How much is he weighing in at?

Both weigh the same at 47lbs. He wasn't supposed to pass 40lbs. Every single dog I ever own ALWAYS became supersize. Why? I just don't know. They just get much bigger than normal. My GS was from an RCMP trainer/breeder. When he saw Major he was positive he came from an older litter but realized it couldn't lol. Also not one one my dogs were/are fat either. Just muscles. Thank god for that.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
So youā€™re using that along with a choke collar? So when he starts pulling, you pull on the choke? Maybe I should try a double on Louie. I notice when I take him on a walk alone, he doesnā€™t pull as much. But when heā€™s with Jax itā€™s like he has to be in front.

Yes very true. I try having Nyala in the front but Duke makes a point being in the front. After 2-3km he starts backing up n both are almost synchronized. We do a good 5km within 30mins which is good for these breeds. Once I open the backgate you would think they're tried...they both run to their pee pen, do their business as they dont on the streets, then starts running like loonies all over the yard with the soccer ball.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I have same issue with Cheli/Lambeau.... all others walked well together , but these two are in constant competition to get in front of each other... we have lots of work to do with them relatedness to joint walks. Alone they are perfect

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes very true. I try having Nyala in the front but Duke makes a point being in the front. After 2-3km he starts backing up n both are almost synchronized. We do a good 5km within 30mins which is good for these breeds. Once I open the backgate you would think they're tried...they both run to their pee pen, do their business as they dont on the streets, then starts running like loonies all over the yard with the soccer ball.

I have same issue with Cheli/Lambeau.... all others walked well together , but these two are in constant competition to get in front of each other... we have lots of work to do with them relatedness to joint walks. Alone they are perfect

Okay, I actually just got a harness for Louie so next time we go for a walk I will use the harness and the Martingale and see if I can control him better using both. I know it won't happen overnight and he'll need some work. Jax actually doesn't care who is in front, he just prances right along enjoying his walk. But Louie? Sheesh. He has to be in front and he has to pee on every tree and pole and everything else he sees.

Jax is always tired after a walk. Louie? Nope, we get home and he is ready to run around and play.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Both of my guys walk in drink some water and then drop for a nap

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay, I actually just got a harness for Louie so next time we go for a walk I will use the harness and the Martingale and see if I can control him better using both. I know it won't happen overnight and he'll need some work. Jax actually doesn't care who is in front, he just prances right along enjoying his walk. But Louie? Sheesh. He has to be in front and he has to pee on every tree and pole and everything else he sees.

Jax is always tired after a walk. Louie? Nope, we get home and he is ready to run around and play.

I put Nyala on the outside as you see in the photo. Duke inside and as soon as he wants to pull, I yank the choker with a FIRM..WALK! Eventually he gets the word WALK n a yank but most of the time there is less yanking n just WALK. He's getting it. Harnesses are useless for training. Now when he sees people or other dogs he will pull n Nyala to. Both are happy campers. Just they need to learn no pulling while they see ppl or other pets. So again I raise my voice but add NYALA WALK cause Nyala is the smart one n should know better. Duke follows n does what Nyala says/do. He's the goofball. They remind me of them 2 dogs on bugs bunny. Forgot their names. SPIKE n that squirt dog. I really cant complain about their walks. That choker changed our walks to more of a pleasant walk. Now....when I need to put his harness on him in the house!?!?! Hooooly crap! He's out of control cause he's so happy he's going for a walk. Like putting a harness on a moving torpedo! So I stand there without talking and he gets it. Calm down or you're not going out. He sits in front of me, stands up with his paws on my thighs and waits till I put his legs through the hareness n click! I swear it's like a rehearsal. Lolll.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I put Nyala on the outside as you see in the photo. Duke inside and as soon as he wants to pull, I yank the choker with a FIRM..WALK! Eventually he gets the word WALK n a yank but most of the time there is less yanking n just WALK. He's getting it. Harnesses are useless for training. Now when he sees people or other dogs he will pull n Nyala to. Both are happy campers. Just they need to learn no pulling while they see ppl or other pets. So again I raise my voice but add NYALA WALK cause Nyala is the smart one n should know better. Duke follows n does what Nyala says/do. He's the goofball. They remind me of them 2 dogs on bugs bunny. Forgot their names. SPIKE n that squirt dog. I really cant complain about their walks. That choker changed our walks to more of a pleasant walk. Now....when I need to put his harness on him in the house!?!?! Hooooly crap! He's out of control cause he's so happy he's going for a walk. Like putting a harness on a moving torpedo! So I stand there without talking and he gets it. Calm down or you're not going out. He sits in front of me, stands up with his paws on my thighs and waits till I put his legs through the hareness n click! I swear it's like a rehearsal. Lolll.

I am excited to try it out! I swear Louie was a perfect walker when he was younger...now he is a maniac. It's going to be back to basics for him! In May and June we did 2 obedience classes (which is where I was told get rid of the harness and use the Martingale for training) and even the trainer had said he was the most well behaved bulldog puppy he's ever had in class. Well, he should see him now! I will take some blame though. This summer was rough with Jax and his surgery and then finding out we had to move and finding a house in such short notice so I really didn't have much time to continue to work with him. Things are settling down now so it's time to get back to it.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Harness are GREAT but not to train. Nyala's cut. She's observing.
0303d77ad84ca5fbc4b827e6e9bce642.jpg
7e66c4038b14cc4d20ff77264bbcb513.jpg
2abcf8dd121b0ca6069c7479c83e6e2b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Great Job Duke!! Ellie and I have been in a timeout since we have not had the internet for a week, so we are little late to the party!!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online