helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Looking back- I just really think Penny hated her kennel AND- she can't skip a schedule "poop" time. Once we let her free roam, almost over night it stopped. Now, every once in a while if she doesn't go at night before bed, I might wake up to a turd, or vice versa in the morning. If she doesn't poop before we leave in the AM after breakfast, I might have a surprise for me when I got home. It's few and far between, but she's still a little brat. Lol
Now Lockjaw- NEVER! There's probably something going on for him to poop in the kennel. Otherwise, he's a champ! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How old was penny?

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
How old was penny?

When we let her free roam? Just recently-ish, we started after her TPLO surgery around November- so about 1 1/2 yrs. I'm sure she would have done fine earlier, maybe closer to a year. We started with letting her out at night, then did short periods during he day. She's not a chewer of household objects (Lockjaw is- so he doesn't free roam, but he LOVES his kennel). Then eventually until it was all of the time. But whenever we would tell them the usual "time for bed, or go to bed", Lockjaw would run to his kennel (they always got "the good treats" when they were crated) and Penny would literally run to her bed in the living room- literally resisted us when we tried to crate her.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
When we let her free roam? Just recently-ish, we started after her TPLO surgery around November- so about 1 1/2 yrs. I'm sure she would have done fine earlier, maybe closer to a year. We started with letting her out at night, then did short periods during he day. She's not a chewer of household objects (Lockjaw is- so he doesn't free roam, but he LOVES his kennel). Then eventually until it was all of the time. But whenever we would tell them the usual "time for bed, or go to bed", Lockjaw would run to his kennel (they always got "the good treats" when they were crated) and Penny would literally run to her bed in the living room- literally resisted us when we tried to crate her. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never had to crate my Doberman or my GS. Nyala was clean at 3-4 months. Yes we all know not one is the same. But Duke will go outside no problem come in and pee in front of me. Little bugger. Nyala was crated but like yours loved her crate. Door started to stay open Rounf a yr old and at nights. Duke is too young to leave loose. Dont trust him. Have no choice to keep working on him. Eventually he'll get it.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I never had to crate my Doberman or my GS. Nyala was clean at 3-4 months. Yes we all know not one is the same. But Duke will go outside no problem come in and pee in front of me. Little bugger. Nyala was crated but like yours loved her crate. Door started to stay open Rounf a yr old and at nights. Duke is too young to leave loose. Dont trust him. Have no choice to keep working on him. Eventually he'll get it.

Yea, unfortunately your right. Time and patience are really you only option. Lockjaw would do that- but peeing. He could t be any more perfect when it comes him being house trained now. I would definitely stay on top of his schedule and make sure he has a sufficient poop. Penny will walk and poop, and sometimes poop, then walk a few steps and drop ANOTHER load. Lol- it's all about learning your boy, trial and error and patience. Lol

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Louie doesn't go in crate or pen (although he did twice when he had diarrhea) but he still has accidents in the house. He won't give any indication, just squat and go. We didn't crate Jax but he learned fairly quickly to go to the gate if he needed to go out. I'm waiting for the day when Louie goes to the gate. Waiting, waiting, waiting. Until then he gets taken out about every hour.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My goodness that precious face is so sweet and INNOCENT

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
having had MANY dogs in my lifetime, I found that EBD's are the most difficult to house train/take the longest. Hang in their [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] one day he will just "get it!" But of course, he has figured out that sleeping in your bed is sooooooooo much better!:evil::yes:

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
You are only a baby you poop in your kennel if you want [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
having had MANY dogs in my lifetime, I found that EBD's are the most difficult to house train/take the longest. Hang in their [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] one day he will just "get it!" But of course, he has figured out that sleeping in your bed is sooooooooo much better!:evil::yes:

Yup same here. Tons of dogs but this one beats them all. He's smarter than I think for having sneaking in my bed. Lol.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] this is my first time seeing Duke! What a cutie!! You are an excellent momma and I'm sure he will catch on soon :)

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
It's a month and a half now. It's better but like he doesn't care...im timing him so there's no accidents in the house. I even have to put him in MY bed so I can sleep. He wont go for 7hrs if he's in bed with me but if I leave him in the kennel cause I need to go out for 4hrs, little bugger will mess his kennel. He'll just go. Never had issues with the other breeds..... just this one. The day he'll be clean, he's going to be out of my room so fast he won't know what hit him from the back.
View attachment 106720

Canelo and I had some serious potty issues when he was between 3 - 6 months old, it included peeing and pooping in his kennel, he would even roll in it. Add to that he would be playing, had been outside, did all his biz but while playing would suddenly stop, start peeing and would STARE at me while peeing! Husband still cracks up about this. It wasn't a little puddle either.

In hind sight I think it's gaining control of their bodies, and I say this because during this period I got up one night not able to sleep so I got Canelo out of his kennel to keep him quiet. He wanted on the couch and in my lap, he was between 30 a 40 pounds at this point. Things were great then my lap got really warm, he peed all over me and the couch. It just seemed during this age for him to be the toughest and after he was six months old, fewer accidents and he learned. He's been a great boy.

So is it possible Mr. Handsome is in a similar phase? He's such a sweety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=8376]Canelospeeps[/MENTION] I think you are right! They also seem to regress again sometimes around 9 months! Perhaps they are getting control of their bodies AND of us!! In their beautiful heads they say("you ain't the boss of me!) then all of a sudden all is well!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.