Encounter with the unknown

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
A bit blurry pic but still shows how Castor tonight had his first close encounter with a hedgehog. He was very curious but the hedgehog of course didn't respond the way Castor expected, so Castor got rather agitated by the lack of response (and, we suspect, from the hedgehog spines).
igelkott.jpg

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
You have to be careful with those Castor. I've seen what they can do to a bullys mouth when the encounter is too close....

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
You are right - I think both Castor and we learned that there are other animals that make better friends!

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] Update: we have now also learned that hedgehogs carry fleas...late last night we noticed something crawling on Castor's face and he was scratching. I brushed him and wiped him with wet towels and found some more.After that no more scratching and Castor slept all night so I think we got rid of them, and Castor has Bravecto against ticks and they should also take care of fleas. I knew hedgehogs had ticks but had no idea about the fleas. Apparently very common that dogs get hedgehog fleas (although they don't do much harm as the dog isn't a suitable host).

Gosh - I've always liked hedgehogs but from now on we'll stay away from them!

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Thanks for the news on hedgehogs, less likely to happen here however those black and white stripped kitties raccoon, possums are common here and all have fleas. Chance has been told that he is not allowed to have them on his friends list. Mind you Chance will look at a dandelion and if the wind moves it he will bark at it for 10 minutes - go figure Castor has the world to explore unfortunately it does not all fit in the mouth but he will try. Give him a tickle from us

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thanks for the news on hedgehogs, less likely to happen here however those black and white stripped kitties raccoon, possums are common here and all have fleas. Chance has been told that he is not allowed to have them on his friends list. Mind you Chance will look at a dandelion and if the wind moves it he will bark at it for 10 minutes - go figure Castor has the world to explore unfortunately it does not all fit in the mouth but he will try. Give him a tickle from us

Yes, bulldogs are inquisitive animals! I do understand we were naive, though - I knew they have ticks and should have realised they have fleas too. Castor is a very friendly guy who wants to say hi to everyone but clearly there are some that should not be on his friends list, as you say!

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
well, i don't see hedgehogs around here but i do worry about a skunk that has been living under my neighbors out building.. its one of my fears ,that i will let my bulldogs out and one or all will come back with the skunk perfume... i will die..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No hedgehogs here... But what a cute picture

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.