Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Have I ever talked about this before? I don't think I have. Orion didn't start walking until she was almost 6 weeks old. She was unable to get her back legs underneath her. They were splayed out. This photo shows the problem.

So, we got on the internet and came up with "swimming puppy syndrome"

How to Make a Hobble for a Puppy with Splayed Legs | eHow.com

If this is not corrected..these babies can suffer horribly.
We struggled with helping her correct her walking for several weeks.
After learning how to Hobble her, she was walking on her own (after the hobble sessions) after 4 days. She hasn't stopped since.

Basically..Hobbling is tying the back legs together so she can walk...but the prevent the legs from splaying.

Last edited:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
wow that is interesting. I never knew about this.
Baby O is so darn cute, I just giggle everytime I see a photo. And her personality shows in all of them.

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
i agree with bella, i have never heard of this before...very interesting

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
She sure is making up for lost time!!!!!!
Interesting article, thanx for sharing. :)

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I think you may have briefly mentioned this once??? Wow I had never heard of that before though. Glad she developed properly in the end! She was a precious baby! (and of course she still is :) )

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Wow ... I have never heard of this before and didn't know a thing like this existed!!

Are you sure she wasn't just saving her leg strength for later so that now she has extra bounce?? I've seen the video of her jumping onto that stool ... maybe her middle name should have been "Tigger"!!! :heart:

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Aw, what an adorable video! She is an absolutely gorgeous puppy! Makes me want another tiny one! I didn't know about this either. How did you know what to do to help her walk? Thank goodness you fixed her up!

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Wow, that was a simple yet brilliant fix... I would have been tempted to change her name to Forest Gump :p She sure did overcome this with incredible spunk and style :)

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Since O was the first puppy that my mom had, we really didn't know what to do. So, I love to google and that is exactly what we did. When she didn't start walking according to the puppy schedule...we found answers on the internet. The results told us what to use and how to hobble her. She really tried to walk on her own, but it was such a task for her. We don't know if having no litter mates was a culprit. She had no motivation to get up and move. So, by hobbling her, it allowed her to play. Her back legs were hobbled so they wouldn't splay past shoulder length. That made it so she could move around without human help. That video was the first day of her being hobbled. It didn't take long for her to learn those muscles. I'm glad we didn't wait any longer...she was already over a month old.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
ohhh...and if you watch the video carefully, you can see her legs wanting to splay out. I have a few more videos of her being hobbled if anyone wants to see.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.