Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh no that sounds like no fun! Need to nip this in the bud and fast before he gets seriously hurt. Maybe have him had feed her the meals to establish that he controls her food and therefore above her? Obviously this will need right supervision. Make her do trucks for him , then she gets a few kibbles at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you all! It is great yo be back :) we have missed you lovely lot of ppl. Now, I need help. Brie is beautiful n sends hugs to you all. But...she has become aggressive toward my 9 yo. She has snapped at him several times, 1 time for trying to get his bone out for her from under the couch, another for trying to get a piece of kibble for her that fell under the couch. She growls at him she. He holds her good bowl n if he tells her to wait she goes after him. She growled at him yesterday when she was trying to climb up on me n he came over to let her. The worst was 3 days ago. He was I'm guessing annoying or teasing her by chasing her w a small remote cat. I told him to stop by the didn't right away. When he did stop, he laid down in the floor w his toy. She was across the room from him watching. She growled n ran at him, lunging n bit him on the head. We had yo take him to the ER and he needed staples to close the sound. It was very deep. Thankfully on the near n not face. So, I'm going back to square one. No privileges for her, placement training, prong collar heel, sit, stay and having Kyan do the training w her as well several times a day. He is to never be on the blood when she is free, always to let her slowly and always be above her. I'm not having him feed her again until things settle. I feel at a loss. I think she has claimed me and he has annoyed her enough over the past year that while she loves him, he is beneath her and a litter mate. He did put his hands In Her bowl when she was a puppy. But it was always me feeding her, sitting w her, petting her training her etc.no,us, I think I elevated her bu allowing her on the couch n bed w me too early? Before he had a chance yo establish himself perhaps? I funny. Any thoughts would be appreciate. The thought of giving her up is not an option for me, I must make this work. But I can't have her doing this to my son. Help please!

Great plan... she goes back to basics and he must be fully a part of the training and he should feed her. You stay with her and he places her bowl on the floor, once he moves away HE should release her to the food, not you. also, she should not be on the furniture until all this is back in place and your son is comfortable being 'above her' and you feel the same. Lisa, it will take time, but is totally doable.

use the nothing in life is free technique, it is easy enough for your son to follow and we all know it works.

BEST OF LUCK... keep us posted and I am sending many prayers and positives thoughts to you

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] when he holds the bowl she growls at him. He put it down n told her to wait..she growled n went after him. I was going to put the prong collar on w leash n correct her. Is that good idea?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama when he holds the bowl she growls at him. He put it down n told her to wait..she growled n went after him. I was going to put the prong collar on w leash n correct her. Is that good idea?

yes, until she is back in line, i would keep her on leash so you can easily correct and/or stop her, better control till she knows he behavior is unacceptable

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMama when he holds the bowl she growls at him. He put it down n told her to wait..she growled n went after him. I was going to put the prong collar on w leash n correct her. Is that good idea?

you dont have to use a prong collar i hate those barbaric things, just a regular collar just so that she knows whose boss

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
you dont have to use a prong collar i hate those barbaric things, just a regular collar just so that she knows whose boss
The trainer recommended it for her to get her in line. I'm very careful w it and it's so strange how when it is on she is under control. Like a diff dog. The plan is to use it during training and feeding w Kyan. Most of the placement training so and of course at night I use her reg collar. I'm trying to use it as little as possible, but it does help.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
[MENTION=9236]Lisabear123[/MENTION]

I'm so sorry to hear about your issues w/Brie… I'm NOT a trainer, but it sounds like Brie seems jealous of Kyal. How is she doing w/your other dogs? I know in the past you had said that she didn't like one of your dogs. It's SO hard w/kids & dogs sometimes… Bella & Winston seemed to LOVE my grandson Marcus, but our new pup Wally seems afraid of him :( It makes me sad because I was hoping they would be best buds like Winston & Marcus.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

The trainer recommended it for her to get her in line. I'm very careful w it and it's so strange how when it is on she is under control. Like a diff dog. The plan is to use it during training and feeding w Kyan. Most of the placement training so and of course at night I use her reg collar. I'm trying to use it as little as possible, but it does help.

Lisa - if you have been trained to use it and are comfortable, it is the better option for you. The prong collar is not sharp and gives the correction of what the 'mother' would do in the pack (quick nip/bite to the neck area). The flat regular collar used for correction on a Bulldog (any dog for that matter) gives more possibity of an injury to the neck/trachea ... the prong when used correctly (as most things in life) is a good training tool.

Phil - I agree they are scary looking, but they do not hurt (if used correctly).. it is a pinch. I've had them wrapped around my arm and neck when I first started working at the daycare, cause I had the same thought... what are you doing to these dogs.. it is so cruel. Well, turns out, it isn't. Mind you, they are not for everyone and people will use them incorrectly and abuse the pup with it (i've seen horrendous photos).... but when you know how to use it and use it correctly, they are great.

Also, they are not meant to be used for life... just for training and once the pup earns the right to walk with a regular collar or harness, then you remove it.

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] thank you, I'm glad to hear it's ok to use. I did learn from the trainer how to place it n use it. She does have it on more thn I'd like, when we walk to train w heel, sit, stay..when Kyan walks w her to do these things, when she is in the house on n off throughout the day but never unattended etc. II do hope it isn't forever, cos that would be no where near ideal :(

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Shes beautiful Lisa xx you and Brie have been missed

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMama thank you, I'm glad to hear it's ok to use. I did learn from the trainer how to place it n use it. She does have it on more thn I'd like, when we walk to train w heel, sit, stay..when Kyan walks w her to do these things, when she is in the house on n off throughout the day but never unattended etc. II do hope it isn't forever, cos that would be no where near ideal :(

not going to sugar coat it... you probably have a long road ahead of you, but time, consistency and patience will pay off for all of you.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMama thank you, I'm glad to hear it's ok to use. I did learn from the trainer how to place it n use it. She does have it on more thn I'd like, when we walk to train w heel, sit, stay..when Kyan walks w her to do these things, when she is in the house on n off throughout the day but never unattended etc. II do hope it isn't forever, cos that would be no where near ideal :(

Like Christine said she'll get it eventually just have to stick with it and let us know how it's going.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.