Commands

Sophatp

Feb 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonidas
I brought Leo home 6weeks ago from the breeder and they have been quite entertaining :-) He is turning 6 months next week and I am very surprised at how fast he has grown and picked up training, especially without a clicker. I plan on making a short video of all the tricks/ commands that he knows so far. I wanted to know what tricks/ commands should I teach him that would be beneficial for him and some that are just for pure entertainment such as playing dead. Thanks... Here's a list of what he knows so far:
Sit
Wait
Stay
Touch(come here)
Lay down
High five
Paw
Give me ten
Belly ( laying on his back)
Fetch
Get your leash
Take it/ drop it
Leave it
Go to
Bed
He learned how to take a bow in the last two days and And is learning beg/ sit pretty and crawl at the moment. He can do these fine at home but when I take him to the park it's a different story. I'm guessing the more training he does he'll eventually get it.

yvesaha9.jpg

5enuja2a.jpg

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
wow thats impressive! my dog will keep doing things until I praise her so she tries to do tricks lol but nothing quite yet. She only knows sit, go get a toy, lay down, come here (except she always likes to act like she doesnt know what that means when shes in trouble) Go to bed, and thats about it. I think I need to start actually training her. She is very smart but soooo rebellious.

OP
Sophatp

Sophatp

Feb 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonidas
[MENTION=10890]xxaprilrose[/MENTION], hey since we are Bullie birthdays, I would like to keep in touch with updates on Jovi. Any plans on when you are switching her meals from 3 to 2?

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
@xxaprilrose, hey since we are Bullie birthdays, I would like to keep in touch with updates on Jovi. Any plans on when you are switching her meals from 3 to 2?

I am not sure yet. I know youre suppose to do it at 6 months but I am hesitant because I still personally think Jovi is too small... well skinny. But I also know that that is just how shes growing and not the food so I cant overfeed her. So I am kind of torn. What about you? How much does your bully weigh right now?

OP
Sophatp

Sophatp

Feb 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonidas
He weights about 42lbs atm. He's really healthy, not overweight. I am going to keep him on 3 meals a day until he's 7 months and see. I am feeding him 1 cup 3 times a day. When going to 2 meals a day, do we just split the meals into 1.5 cups each meal to equal 3 cups for a day or go to 2 cups for the whole day? I plan on keeping him on puppy food for a while too.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
First, you both have beautiful bullies. And mine is a little numbnut when compared to how many commands both yours know. Hell, I'm lucky if he'll sit without a treat involved..lol..

Regarding the food-I cut Blue down to 2 cups a day when he was about 6-7 months. You really don't want to keep him on puppy food for too much longer. Its has a lot of extra fat that only puppies require. Keeping him on it too long will make him a fatty.

Remember, according to the breed standard, they should weigh about 55lbs. Sure, some will weigh less and others more. But they should never weigh too much more.

These are medium sized dogs, not large. The bigger they get, the more issues they can have with their joints. And considering that joint problems are very common with these dogs, you really want to get a grip on their weight while they're young.

Having a tubby bullie and blaming it on genetics is irresponsible in my opinion. Yes, I know some may hate me for saying this, but it's the truth. Ok, stepped off my podium :tongue:.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
HI just jumping in here. I kept Brutus on puppy food until 7mos then he went to an all stage grain free. He also went to 2 meals a day. I gave him a cup of food at each meal equaling 2 cups per day.

- - - Updated - - -

First, you both have beautiful bullies. And mine is a little numbnut when compared to how many commands both yours know. Hell, I'm lucky if he'll sit without a treat involved..lol..

Regarding the food-I cut Blue down to 2 cups a day when he was about 6-7 months. You really don't want to keep him on puppy food for too much longer. Its has a lot of extra fat that only puppies require. Keeping him on it too long will make him a fatty.

Remember, according to the breed standard, they should weigh about 55lbs. Sure, some will weigh less and others more. But they should never weigh too much more.

These are medium sized dogs, not large. The bigger they get, the more issues they can have with their joints. And considering that joint problems are very common with these dogs, you really want to get a grip on their weight while they're young.

Having a tubby bullie and blaming it on genetics is irresponsible in my opinion. Yes, I know some may hate me for saying this, but it's the truth. Ok, stepped off my podium :tongue:.
Hey is numbnut a NY word??? It is one of my favorites!!!!!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
HI just jumping in here. I kept Brutus on puppy food until 7mos then he went to an all stage grain free. He also went to 2 meals a day. I gave him a cup of food at each meal equaling 2 cups per day.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey is numbnut a NY word??? It is one of my favorites!!!!!

hmm.. i dunno? ya think it is?

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Wow your bully does know a lot! Meatball sure doesn't know all that! Maybe it's time for a trainer lol:) Meatball knows
sit
come here
time to eat
drop it
its night night time, although when he hears that he runs and hides. The only way we find him is by turning off the television or any other Noise, and we listen for his grunts! Than we have to carry him to his crate lol!

OP
Sophatp

Sophatp

Feb 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonidas
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION], Thanks the advice, I have enough puppy food to last him until he's 7 months. That was when I am planning on switching him over to fromms adult food and switching to 2 meals a day.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Blueberrys Mom, Thanks the advice, I have enough puppy food to last him until he's 7 months. That was when I am planning on switching him over to fromms adult food and switching to 2 meals a day.

Perfection on the training and food process..... I can not wait to see the videos. @pat robins may have some suggestions for you on tricks/commands her Lily is awesome

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.