ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I am still making progress on Mabel's belly! It is slowly returning to pink, healthy skin from black horribly infected skin. Here are some photos that show the progression. I am always so pleasantly surprised when I turn her over and see more freckles!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 197

Gordosmom1212

Aug 11, 2013
Pflugerville, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnum (EB), Delta (EB), Gracie (EB), Zoey (FB), Pebbles (FB), Prada (FB)
Oh my goodness poor baby so glad it is getting better.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Chris, fantastic job! Mabel is a lucky girl :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow what a change! Did the vets ever figure out what it is? You're such a great mamma!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Fantastic -that is a great progress indeed xx

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It is looking good! She is lucky to have you to take good care! Nice PINK skin!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Chris, what exactly is that? Is it a form of yeast? My boxer gets like that sometimes…
Great progress though… Mabel is such a sweetheart!!! ;)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well done, she's definitely getting better. You're a good mom.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
That looks kinda like what Sheldon has on his tummy I have been washing it with Hibiclens and putting Ketaconazole on it and powder over the top of that it looked pretty good last night but he will get another treatment tonight.

OP
ChrisRN

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
The vet said it was (is) a fungal infection. Her skin felt like rough leather and had a greasy feel. It was disgusting. :(. I never got a photo when we first got her. Even the worst of the photos was after much improvement. We started with ketaconazole (oral) and weekly medicated baths. She HATED standing in the tub for the 10 minute soak. Then we started using Malaket wipes every evening because of the recommendations of others on EBN. I knew we were making progress when the skin became smooth, but got excited when the wipes started turning black when I cleaned the area. Then we started seeing freckles. :w00t: The final step in cleaning has been Gold Bond medicated powder. I swear by the stuff! We're down to treating once or twice weekly and are still seeing improvement. She lies very still and really is a good sport about it all. Of course, the cookie she gets when we're done doesn't hurt! :yes: The vet and his tech said it probably would never turn back to its normal color. I guess we have shown them!

asimpson

Jun 20, 2011
Edgewood, Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cassius aka "Cash"
The vet said it was (is) a fungal infection. Her skin felt like rough leather and had a greasy feel. It was disgusting. :(. I never got a photo when we first got her. Even the worst of the photos was after much improvement. We started with ketaconazole (oral) and weekly medicated baths. She HATED standing in the tub for the 10 minute soak. Then we started using Malaket wipes every evening because of the recommendations of others on EBN. I knew we were making progress when the skin became smooth, but got excited when the wipes started turning black when I cleaned the area. Then we started seeing freckles. :w00t: The final step in cleaning has been Gold Bond medicated powder. I swear by the stuff! We're down to treating once or twice weekly and are still seeing improvement. She lies very still and really is a good sport about it all. Of course, the cookie she gets when we're done doesn't hurt! :yes: The vet and his tech said it probably would never turn back to its normal color. I guess we have shown them!

Glad to hear your baby is getting better and you can see progress. Hope things get back to normal as quick as possible.

Cash has been on ketaconazole before and the stuff really works. He no longer takes it but I have some on hand just in case. I bathe Cash once a week and use the medicated shampoo every time. He was having issues with dermatitis before and that was when we were introduced to the medicated shampoo. It worked really well for Cash, and it worked fairly fast- I saw results after about a week treating him with a bath and pill (ketaconazole)

I won't make the mistake by trying to chimp on the shampoo either. We learned the hard way with purchasing the over the counter Petsmart antifungal shampoo. I read the bottle and it showed the same thing as in the prescription shampoo- so I thought. I decided to give it a try to save some money. That prescription shampoo is quite expensive.

The shampoo smelled really really good, but it did a number on Cash's coat and skin. He started to get these welps and bumps all over him and on his head, and they would scab up and he would itch. It was awful. I stopped using the shampoo, and back to the prescription brand and Cash's coat cleared up almost instantly. Something must have been in the over the counter anti bacterial anti fungal shampoo.

The prescription shampoo that we use is called HexaChlor-K made by Glen Haven Theraputics.
The over the counter shampoo that we learned from is called Medicated Anti-bacterial & Anti- Fungal shampoo made by GNC Pets. It has a picture of a bulldog on the front.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Fantastic.... slow progression, but it really is getting there. Great job, Chris!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.