Vegas stew anyone?

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I recall reading this was a human diet stew...in a different post.

My only concern with this...is for dogs that would have low sugar drops...and possibly head tremors due to their sugar levels dropping...I would just like to mention this...in case ones try this and notice their dog's head would start to shake...that it maybe due to their sugar levels dropping. There is no nutritional value to cabbage...I also wonder about the sodium intake with using canned food...I give my bulldogs "frozen" green beans as suggested by my own vet due to sodium content in canned foods.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
OK ... so Daddy is Orion .... you'd think we had not fed him in two weeks!! At least I'm not alone in this!!

Really hoping we don't get to the stage where we have to lock Daddy up each meal time to give the other dogs a chance to eat in peace!!

[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] I spoke to soon ... Daddy is now at the stage where we have to lock him up from the other dogs so that he doesn't steal their food!! :down:

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
No, libras vet recommended her to make this for Vegas so it wasnt a diet stew for people, although I am sure it would be a great one. lol

Here's the post I read...that made me think it was meant for humans originally...
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...videos/4931-before-after-vegas-stew-diet.html

Originally Posted by rayers
he looks great! :heart: Wonder if Vegas stew works on humans???? I may need to consider that myself :lol:...................hmmmmm

Actually, it was a human recipe! It's a high fiber stew made to make you feel fuller, longer. It wouldn't work on me because I've never bought those ingredients before in my ENTIRE life. I'm not a fan of any of the stuff that goes into it. But, it worked for him. I was actually nervous that the weight loss had occurred due to another reason. I thought maybe he was sick. Really sick. But, blood tests came back good :pray: and it turns out that the diet worked. I often find myself looking at him thinking ......he is too skinny. But he isn't. He is so much more playful. He doesn't have a hard time jumping around and rolling around. His back leg was giving him problems before, but now it doesn't seem to hurt.

I assumed if the vet had given it to him...then there would have been no reasons for the tests that was run due to weight loss. But that is where I got that "theory" of mine...sorry if I misunderstood. Big OOPS on my part.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I recall reading this was a human diet stew...in a different post.

My only concern with this...is for dogs that would have low sugar drops...and possibly head tremors due to their sugar levels dropping...I would just like to mention this...in case ones try this and notice their dog's head would start to shake...that it maybe due to their sugar levels dropping. There is no nutritional value to cabbage...I also wonder about the sodium intake with using canned food...I give my bulldogs "frozen" green beans as suggested by my own vet due to sodium content in canned foods.

We have started using frozen green beans instead of canned. During the summer we grow our own tomatoes to use. And you can always choose the low sodium canned veggies. Also..for the low blood sugar, he is still getting some kibble. The stew is just a filler so they don't always think they are hungry.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Being all everyday ingredients it would work for both people and dogs. Unfortunately we are in control of what we choose to eat so in my case this diet would NEVER work for me. hahaha

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]
We have started using frozen green beans instead of canned. During the summer we grow our own tomatoes to use. And you can always choose the low sodium canned veggies. Also..for the low blood sugar, he is still getting some kibble. The stew is just a filler so they don't always think they are hungry.

I'm not saying this isn't good for your dog. I am curious Cheryl...was this something that you tried...and found worked for your dog? Or...was it given to you by your vet?

My vet said "no" to this diet...and to only a cup of dog food a day for Tank. To give this to a dog with a known history of tremors...one cup of kibble isn't enough. [He eats 1 1/2 cups plus frozen green beans] No he's not losing weight fast...but he's not getting tremors and that is the key. She has never heard of this Vegas Stew diet before either...But said she didn't wish for him to have that much cabbage in his diet.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Being all everyday ingredients it would work for both people and dogs. Unfortunately we are in control of what we choose to eat so in my case this diet would NEVER work for me. hahaha

True...this reminds me of the cabbage soup diet almost though...that I recall my MIL making years ago...It worked but gave me the runs. [Sorry if it was TMI :eek:]

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
It was suggested by my vet. He said it was a diet that was for humans, but was found to work as a great filler for dogs. So, Vegas went from 1 cup of food twice daily to 1/2 cup of food twice daily and 3 cups of the stew daily. He dropped 11 pounds in 4 months. Now I feed it to him (the stew and kibble) for a week or so, then he's off it for a week. I don't think he needs to lose anymore weight..so I alternate to make sure. Being high fiber ingredients is the key...it makes them feel full.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
So the tests ran later...due to the weight loss...Was there other factors then they were looking at, then to run extra tests other than the weight loss? I'm just trying to grasp the big picture...as to why a vet who suggested a diet...to run uncalled for tests.

Sounds like the stew did the trick...Shame I can't use it for Tank...but him having a prior history of head tremors...I just didn't want to risk it without getting our vet's opinion. Having a dog with known sugar levels to drop...it is a must to keep them as level as possible. And offering a diet such as this stew diet...would be hard on his system our vet felt. [Not sure why she was concerned over the amount of cabbage he would eat :confused: I didn't ask since she said no to the diet]

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
My original vet went on maternity leave and never came back.:eek: This was the vet who started seeing him after she left. He wanted to start from scratch with Vegas and his epilepsy...even to the point of suggesting a change in kibble. He was the first and only vet that had ever suggested that he was heavy. He suggested cutting back on his kibble and treats and feeding him high fiber vegetables. He also told me the longer the cabbage and tomatoes where "stewed" the less gassy they would make him. So, we tried it. Vegas doesn't have any gas with the veggies. Also, the amount of each veggie I selected for the stew was up to me.
I'm trying to find where I wrote that they were doing tests on him. He has normal bloodwork that he has done every 3 to 4 months due to epilepsy and one that has to be done every year..testing his liver function and other functions due to the medication intake. All the tests were normal checkup tests..so, they weren't unnecessary.
It's not a diet I would ever choose for myself. I have a extreme dislike for all the ingredients listed. I've never purchased mushrooms, cabbage or bell peppers willingly. They still get the nutrients from the kibble.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
My original vet went on maternity leave and never came back.:eek: This was the vet who started seeing him after she left. He wanted to start from scratch with Vegas and his epilepsy...even to the point of suggesting a change in kibble. He was the first and only vet that had ever suggested that he was heavy. He suggested cutting back on his kibble and treats and feeding him high fiber vegetables. He also told me the longer the cabbage and tomatoes where "stewed" the less gassy they would make him. So, we tried it. Vegas doesn't have any gas with the veggies. Also, the amount of each veggie I selected for the stew was up to me.
I'm trying to find where I wrote that they were doing tests on him. He has normal bloodwork that he has done every 3 to 4 months due to epilepsy and one that has to be done every year..testing his liver function and other functions due to the medication intake. All the tests were normal checkup tests..so, they weren't unnecessary.
It's not a diet I would ever choose for myself. I have a extreme dislike for all the ingredients listed. I've never purchased mushrooms, cabbage or bell peppers willingly. They still get the nutrients from the kibble.

The link I found the comment you are trying to find...with the entire post copied and quoted so it isn't taken out of context. ;) Reading it and no other posts...you can see where I came up with the theory that you tested this stew on your dog...Sorry I misunderstood.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...videos/4931-before-after-vegas-stew-diet.html

Actually, it was a human recipe! It's a high fiber stew made to make you feel fuller, longer. It wouldn't work on me because I've never bought those ingredients before in my ENTIRE life. I'm not a fan of any of the stuff that goes into it. But, it worked for him. I was actually nervous that the weight loss had occurred due to another reason. I thought maybe he was sick. Really sick. But, blood tests came back good :pray: and it turns out that the diet worked. I often find myself looking at him thinking ......he is too skinny. But he isn't. He is so much more playful. He doesn't have a hard time jumping around and rolling around. His back leg was giving him problems before, but now it doesn't seem to hurt.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Ok. This might be silly but I can't hear the video because the kids decided it would be cool to break my computer. lol. Seriously though, can you just write out the recipe real quick? I am guessing that using fresh veggies works too? Lucy the basset needs to loose some weight so I am thinking of doing this. Thanks!

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION]

The ingredients are
Cabbage
mushrooms
bell peppers
tomatoes
greenbeans

Whatever portions you like.
Yes, fresh is better......less additives/salt.
I usually stew it for about 4 to 5 hours. The longer it's stewed...the less gassy it makes the pups. (so I've heard)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Thank you so much! Do you add water or anything?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.