English Bulldog Can Catch Frisbees Too! Well... almost.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Last night I watched a tutorial on teaching a dog how to catch a frisbee. So, on today's play session with Angus, this is what we did. Towards the end of the hour - his energy is starting to get really drained - I finally got him to jump at the frisbee but he has not yet managed to catch it... ALMOST, though! I'm hoping he'll eventually catch one!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
That is FANTASTIC!!! Vegas won't even chase a ball, he just looks at it until I go fetch it. Angus will get it soon, good job mama!!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Clever boy Angus nearly there :clap2:
Ftse chases the ball but wont give it back to you just keeps it his mouth running away from me :confused:

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I found when I was a teen-ager playing with my German Shepherd that if you give my German Shepherd a small enough ball that she can chew up, it's harder to entice her to bring back the ball because she thinks the ball is the reward. But, with a German Shepherd, a size 3 soccer ball has enough soft padding that she can grab it but big enough that it's hard to chew up and so she would bring back the ball so I'll throw it again for her to chase.

My Labrador though will chase after anything and bring it back, even all the way to the middle of the lake.

I got Bullie and she will chase just to run after something but she won't even grab the toy, she'll just stand there looking at it. She's not toy motivated.

Angus is very toy motivated but he would chase and chew up the toy. The soccer ball trick worked with Angus. It's not much fun because it's too big for him to chew so the only way he can make it fun again is if he brings it back to me so I can kick it again. The frisbee was a lot harder. I tried the frisbee several times before but he can't figure out how to grab the frisbee off the ground and I can't figure out how to teach it to him. The youtube tutorial really helped explain how to go about it step by step and it took less than an hour to teach Angus how to pick it up. But I still have to figure out how to teach him to catch it mid-air.

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Wow, really amazing that he BRINGS IT BACK to you, lol

No doubt that he'll be catching it very soon, you've every right
to be proud...great job, both of you.
:clap2:

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Tyler (RIP) figured out he could just run up the front of the kids when they played frisbee keep away. Funny the kids only wanted to be a bulldog frisbee ramp once. Even after CPR the frisbee didn't make it.

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Update... Okay, I found out why Angus can't catch a frisbee. It's because I can't throw it properly! Yep! I finally did some practice throws without Angus to get the frisbee to float on a straight line instead of curving to the sides at random (something to do with the flick of the wrist)... and sure enough, Angus can consistently catch them when I throw it straight out!

Only problem is - I can't throw straight and hold the video camera at the same time. So, when I catch one of the kids, I'll have them take a video for y'all...

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Such a cute boy!!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Way to go Angus!!!!!!!! I doubt that HRH would even look at the frisbee.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I love how he brings it back! He is adorable and your back yard is beautiful!
Thanks for the smiles this video brought, I totally enjoyed it. And I think my Momo is in love!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.