Rumble "walking"

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
This is Rumble on our "walk" last night. Since we only made it accross the street and then he refused to move, I am thinking someone needs to explain him the concept of "walking" again!
20130206_190850.jpg

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Well in bully world ....... "walking" actually means going as far as the bully feels like it, and then plopping down wherever they happen to be at the time, and getting their bully pawrent to carry them home. :yes: :up:

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well in bully world ....... "walking" actually means going as far as the bully feels like it, and then plopping down wherever they happen to be at the time, and getting their bully pawrent to carry them home. :yes: :up:
In that case Rumble has the concept down perfect!! :clap2:
However, our trainer seems to think we need to practice walking. This is extremely difficult when Rumble will not cooperate!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
In that case Rumble has the concept down perfect!! :clap2:
However, our trainer seems to think we need to practice walking. This is extremely difficult when Rumble will not cooperate!

Maybe your trainer has never been owned by a bully!!! I have now had four bullies .. and only two of them show any interest in walking. The other two would prefer to sit in the front seat of the car and be driven around .... preferably to ANYWHERE that as a drive thru so that whoever is at the window can shower them with love and attention!!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Bring some broccoli with you as a bribe....but Mom, he's too cute to walk.

vikkibaker43

Feb 6, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby
Our bullie Abby loovvveeessss to walk the problem is when she is done - she is DONE. lol She will park her 65 lb. bullie butt for the next hour or until you carry her home. Seriously thinking about investing in a doggie stroller.

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Ellie enjoys her walks. One thing that we did is that before we started walking her, we would let her run around the house with the collar/harness on with the leash attached and dragging behind her. This was to let her get used to the added weight and we did it for about 10 minutes or so every night for a couple of weeks before we started walking. Obviously, make sure that you're there to supervise so that the leash doesn't get caught on anything.

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bring some broccoli with you as a bribe....but Mom, he's too cute to walk.

We haven't tried broccoli with Rumble but he won't even move for his other treats. Once he plants his butt he is not moving unless I pick him up. So frustrating! Some days he will walk and walk and others he is like I don't know what you are thinking mom but I am not moving!

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
Guinevere used to do well walking with the big dog, but now that B is gone little miss Guinevere usually refuses to do anything other than potty (unless she sees someone who will give her attention!). I don't want to force it though, because soon enough it wil be too hot in the desert for a walk!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some like to go for walks and some don't. BeBe, Jewel, and Diva love to go on walks. Buddy and Lucy could care less but will walk with you. Blondie would go the the end of the driveway and that's it. So just be patient, try the snacks and they might work, but if not, well you can get a wagon or pet stroller. They love to ride. :2thumbs:

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Some like to go for walks and some don't. BeBe, Jewel, and Diva love to go on walks. Buddy and Lucy could care less but will walk with you. Blondie would go the the end of the driveway and that's it. So just be patient, try the snacks and they might work, but if not, well you can get a wagon or pet stroller. They love to ride. :2thumbs:

I would love this! :D However, I am afraid the hubby would not be seen with us if that was the situation!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
We haven't tried broccoli with Rumble but he won't even move for his other treats. Once he plants his butt he is not moving unless I pick him up. So frustrating! Some days he will walk and walk and others he is like I don't know what you are thinking mom but I am not moving!

They sure can be stubborn little buggers. Otis goes for walks but they are not very far and his little wiggle butt is moving quickly on the way back...lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm exhausted just seeing the picture.... it must have been a long "walk" :D

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

Bea didn't "enjoy" walking as a pup and even food wasn't much of a motivator --unless it was really HIGH VALUE treats (like hot dogs or cheese cubes). Since Bea has a really keen prey drive, what got her moving early on was a "squeaker" in a toy. I'd squeak the toy in front of her - she'd "chase it" for a short time. Eventually, she got to play with the toy. After manipulating her for a long awhile with this or that -- she got into the "habit" of walking and then I was good to go. Bea still isn't the walker that Bo is. She plods along stopping to smell anything that appears in her path. Figuring out what will motivate her to MOVE was key. If she's really "into it" -- she can keep pace with Bo without a problem -- short distances, of course.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.