Final 2012 Photoshoot of Kain before the new year :)

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I can't seem to pick a favorite but I really like that first one ... they are all so great though

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
AWESOME pics! Kain is soooo photogenic!! Great shots!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Wow so cool! They are awesome pics! I agree with [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] - my fav pic is the same. Kain looks like he's resting or something. Idk but it's so sweet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great photos of your beautiful kain.... he is so handsome

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
To everyone:
If you are interested in improving your pet photography, I strongly recommend the book "Beautiful Beasties: A Creative Guide to Modern Pet Photography" by Jamie Phlughoeft. Jamie is an incredible pet photographer and her book is a no-nonsense approach to everything from camera settings to editing to branding and price setting (if you want to turn pro). She also just happens to be very nice. :p I started following her work long before I bought her book. She's very helpful if you seek advice via Facebook - when time allows. IMO, this is a book best suited to amateurs, but I think anyone can benefit from a read through.

[MENTION=4305]Vince00[/MENTION] First off, I want to say thank you for sharing your amazing pics of Kain. He's a gorgeous dog and you are very talented behind the camera! Your lighting setup is fantastic. I haven't gotten there yet. I mostly shoot in ambient lighting. Studio lighting is a challenge and a half.

Second, in response to your question,a "faux" leather jacket that might suit your purposes is the Zelda Wisdom rockstar halloween costume. We bought a large one for Chance a couple of years ago. Its fit will depend on how big your dog is. Chance is a larger bulldog so anything smaller wouldn't work. The "choker" and wig come with the costume. The choker is fabric with metal studs. We bought it at Halloween but you can probably find it online.

Ac0L9U3CMAEAR-L.jpg

Third, how are you liking the 24-70? I've been debating this lens (or the 17-40..or the 10-22) for a while. I also shoot with the 60D and would love a true wide angle, which would mean a non L lens on a cropped sensor but I can't quite convince myself to drop cash on something that won't upgrade to a full sensor in a couple of years. Do you shoot primarily with the 24-70? I agree with [MENTION=4890]spork3127[/MENTION] ... the 50 f1.4 is a fantastic lens. A little slow but good for sleeping and/or patient bullies. :p

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
[MENTION=2565]malaviKat[/MENTION]:) I'll have to check that out, he does fill that jacket in pretty tight hey. Thank you for the kind words as well as everyone else that commented in this post.

The 24-70 is a great lens and in my case on my camera the most. I have the 50mm 1.8 and the 85mm 1.8 but with the 24-70 @ 2.8 and 70-200mm @ 4 I rarely use anything else it seems.

I'm hoping to use the 85mm @ 1.8 alot more as it is such a nice lens.

For the 24-70 it is a heavy lens for sure (nicknamed "The Brick") I sometimes wonder if it is AS SHARP as people let on to be but when I get a great focus with no movement I do get sharp photos for sure. I kinda wish it had IS (image stabilization) but to be honest very seldom am I shooting that slow since it does go to 2.8 anyway. I'm very pleased with it and happy I don't have to switch lens as much now that I have that combo. Hindsight, although the 24-105 was not considered as sharp I think that range is ALOT nicer and would work perfect for my indoor shots where the 70mm side is not long enough.

I can take a quick snap of the light setup I was messing around on white backdrop last night so all the lights are there, studio work is great when It all starts coming together but light and how light bounces etc is a challenge in itself. I enjoy it for sure. Of course everything is better after a little light room and Photoshop adjustment. :)

BTW I'm very pleased that I went with the L lens as I fully intend to get a full frame next so that will REALLY open the door for a true 24mm lens. I thought the same, how do I spend a grand on a non L lens but the reviews on the one is so darn good I almost thought of doing it.

Personally I'm staying L or Primes at a minimum as I HATE unsharp photos, I like to almost count eyelashes I like them so sharp.

I took this school portrait of my daughter on a grey tiedie backdrop and a red gel, and the sharpness on metallic paper is unreal. Just remember shoot raw, and brush sharpen in the specific spots (eyebrows, eyes, and mouth).

wow, here I go getting all off topic now lol.

p1318459178-5.jpg

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I love being behind the camera....I just have no idea what I'm doing. Maybe now with both @spork3127 and @Vince00 they can give some tips on pet photography. I have an external flash and I have no idea how to use it. :ashamed:

If you have an external flash your 1/2 way there :)

When using the flash you should be able to angle it different directions, the worst option is shooting straight off the camera or using on camera flash it always looks bad. With your external flash point it about 45 degrees up towards the white ceiling (bounce flash) and the lighting quality will go WAY up...

As for your camera settings set your camera to "AV" mode for Canon or "A" mode for Nikon, this is Aperture priority mode and it will allow the background to blur easily with a DSLR.
All you have to do is adjust your aperture to the lowest number you can for the lens equipped, hopefully in the 2.8 or 4 range atleast and the camera will determine shutter and ISO speeds so you don't have to worry about that.

So in summary, turn on the camera, set to AV mode, aim external flash up at the ceiling to bounce down on the subject from above, degrease Aperture to the smallest number you can 2.8 or 4 etc, zoom in as far as you can to add blur / depth of field, and then frame your shot and snap.

"IF" you find you still get blurry and slow pictures from the time you snap to the time it appears on the display you probably will find your shutter speed is too slow so in that case set your camera to "TV" mode Canon or S for Nikon and make sure you are shooting 'atleast' 1/60 of a second otherwise you will end up with a blurry photo indoors.

I wrote a little summary one time I will see if I can find it.

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
To everyone:
Third, how are you liking the 24-70? I've been debating this lens (or the 17-40..or the 10-22) for a while. I also shoot with the 60D and would love a true wide angle, which would mean a non L lens on a cropped sensor but I can't quite convince myself to drop cash on something that won't upgrade to a full sensor in a couple of years. Do you shoot primarily with the 24-70? I agree with @spork3127 ... the 50 f1.4 is a fantastic lens. A little slow but good for sleeping and/or patient bullies. :p

I love my 24-70 L. It's typically been my walk around lens, but it's truly a fantastic piece of glass. I'm still on the 1st version of it as I couldn't justify the hefty price to upgrade to the 2nd version that was recently released. You can probably find a used copy of the 1st version for a decent price now though. I also have the 10-22 and ever since I bought it, it's pushed my 24-70 for usage. There's something about shooting as wide as I can that's fun. I also hate that it will only work on a crop sensor, but I've still got a few years before I plan on upgrading to a full frame. When that happens, I'll probably keep my 7D body and just leave the 10-22 attached. If you're unsure of which lens you want to invest in (24-70, 17-40, 10-22) you can rent one. I rented the 10-22 prior to buying it and was hooked. Next to a prime like the 28mm, 24mm, etc, the 10-22 is great in tight areas where you need that extra range.....especially if the lighting is decent as it's going to be slower than a prime.

Last edited:

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
[MENTION=4305]Vince00[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4890]spork3127[/MENTION] This is an awesome starter conversation on pet photography. Is there a pet photography tips thread? There really ought to be! :)

Vince, I agree with you about the L series lenses. I bought my first (currently, my only) L series lens last summer (70-200 f2.8 II) and just about died when I saw the sharpness and clarity of the photos that it produced. I do think that the 24-105 has the best range out there for walking around but as I have an 18-135 kit lens that isn't bad outdoors, I can't currently justify the 24-105. It was on my list for a really long time though. I recall reading that version I of the 24-70 didn't have absolute quality control across the board and that people experienced variations in softness. It might be that you have a slightly softer version of the lens than, say, test lenses shooting in ideal conditions.

The portrait of your daughter is, by the way, fantastic. :) Wouldn't mind seeing your aforementioned lighting setup when you have time.

spork, you're going to get me hooked on the 10-22 all over again. ;) Since you enjoy it so much, I'm requesting some comically distorted bully noses!

Are either of you using Lightroom 4?

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
I use Lightroom 4 and LOVE it. I had a "not so legit" version of LR2 to try it out and got hooked, so I ponied up for the legal copy. :D I'm still learning it though. I'm hoping to spend a weekend in the near future just sitting at my computer and watching tutorials on it.

I'll have to disappoint with the comically distorted bully noses. As much as I like the 10-22, there's very little fisheye effect. My copy has just a touch in the corners, but that's about it. If you weren't looking for it while zoomed in inside of LR or PS, you'd probably never notice it. I actually haven't used it on Ellie yet and now that I'm thinking of it, I'm kind of surprised.

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
But comically distorted dog faces are half the reason to indulge in pet photography! :)

Lightroom is a wonder, honestly. I am still using LR3 but can't wait to use LR4. It has changed my workflow so much but I cannot imagine being without it now. There is a ton to learn though.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
If you have an external flash your 1/2 way there :)

When using the flash you should be able to angle it different directions, the worst option is shooting straight off the camera or using on camera flash it always looks bad. With your external flash point it about 45 degrees up towards the white ceiling (bounce flash) and the lighting quality will go WAY up...

As for your camera settings set your camera to "AV" mode for Canon or "A" mode for Nikon, this is Aperture priority mode and it will allow the background to blur easily with a DSLR.
All you have to do is adjust your aperture to the lowest number you can for the lens equipped, hopefully in the 2.8 or 4 range atleast and the camera will determine shutter and ISO speeds so you don't have to worry about that.

So in summary, turn on the camera, set to AV mode, aim external flash up at the ceiling to bounce down on the subject from above, degrease Aperture to the smallest number you can 2.8 or 4 etc, zoom in as far as you can to add blur / depth of field, and then frame your shot and snap.

"IF" you find you still get blurry and slow pictures from the time you snap to the time it appears on the display you probably will find your shutter speed is too slow so in that case set your camera to "TV" mode Canon or S for Nikon and make sure you are shooting 'atleast' 1/60 of a second otherwise you will end up with a blurry photo indoors.

I wrote a little summary one time I will see if I can find it.

Ok....well, I've figured out that much on the external flash...but all the buttons on it, nope. A wide angle will be my next investment, I just got some of the lens baby products for my birthday.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.