Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Final 2012 Photoshoot of Kain before the new year :)

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kain
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Final 2012 Photoshoot of Kain before the new year :)

Quote Originally Posted by Libra926 View Post
    I love being behind the camera....I just have no idea what I'm doing. Maybe now with both @spork3127 and @Vince00 they can give some tips on pet photography. I have an external flash and I have no idea how to use it.
    If you have an external flash your 1/2 way there

When using the flash you should be able to angle it different directions, the worst option is shooting straight off the camera or using on camera flash it always looks bad. With your external flash point it about 45 degrees up towards the white ceiling (bounce flash) and the lighting quality will go WAY up...

As for your camera settings set your camera to "AV" mode for Canon or "A" mode for Nikon, this is Aperture priority mode and it will allow the background to blur easily with a DSLR.
    All you have to do is adjust your aperture to the lowest number you can for the lens equipped, hopefully in the 2.8 or 4 range atleast and the camera will determine shutter and ISO speeds so you don't have to worry about that.

So in summary, turn on the camera, set to AV mode, aim external flash up at the ceiling to bounce down on the subject from above, degrease Aperture to the smallest number you can 2.8 or 4 etc, zoom in as far as you can to add blur / depth of field, and then frame your shot and snap.

"IF" you find you still get blurry and slow pictures from the time you snap to the time it appears on the display you probably will find your shutter speed is too slow so in that case set your camera to "TV" mode Canon or S for Nikon and make sure you are shooting 'atleast' 1/60 of a second otherwise you will end up with a blurry photo indoors.

I wrote a little summary one time I will see if I can find it.

Big Easy Brain Drain Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by malaviKat View Post
    To everyone:
    Third, how are you liking the 24-70? I've been debating this lens (or the 17-40..or the 10-22) for a while. I also shoot with the 60D and would love a true wide angle, which would mean a non L lens on a cropped sensor but I can't quite convince myself to drop cash on something that won't upgrade to a full sensor in a couple of years. Do you shoot primarily with the 24-70? I agree with @spork3127 ... the 50 f1.4 is a fantastic lens. A little slow but good for sleeping and/or patient bullies.
    I love my 24-70 L. It's typically been my walk around lens, but it's truly a fantastic piece of glass. I'm still on the 1st version of it as I couldn't justify the hefty price to upgrade to the 2nd version that was recently released. You can probably find a used copy of the 1st version for a decent price now though. I also have the 10-22 and ever since I bought it, it's pushed my 24-70 for usage. There's something about shooting as wide as I can that's fun. I also hate that it will only work on a crop sensor, but I've still got a few years before I plan on upgrading to a full frame. When that happens, I'll probably keep my 7D body and just leave the 10-22 attached. If you're unsure of which lens you want to invest in (24-70, 17-40, 10-22) you can rent one. I rented the 10-22 prior to buying it and was hooked. Next to a prime like the 28mm, 24mm, etc, the 10-22 is great in tight areas where you need that extra range.....especially if the lighting is decent as it's going to be slower than a prime.
    Last edited by spork3127; 01-02-2013 at 05:55 PM.
    Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. - Cecil Beaton

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)

@Vince00 and @spork3127 This is an awesome starter conversation on pet photography. Is there a pet photography tips thread? There really ought to be!

Vince, I agree with you about the L series lenses. I bought my first (currently, my only) L series lens last summer (70-200 f2.8 II) and just about died when I saw the sharpness and clarity of the photos that it produced. I do think that the 24-105 has the best range out there for walking around but as I have an 18-135 kit lens that isn't bad outdoors, I can't currently justify the 24-105. It was on my list for a really long time though. I recall reading that version I of the 24-70 didn't have absolute quality control across the board and that people experienced variations in softness. It might be that you have a slightly softer version of the lens than, say, test lenses shooting in ideal conditions.

The portrait of your daughter is, by the way, fantastic. Wouldn't mind seeing your aforementioned lighting setup when you have time.

spork, you're going to get me hooked on the 10-22 all over again. Since you enjoy it so much, I'm requesting some comically distorted bully noses!

Are either of you using Lightroom 4?

Big Easy Brain Drain Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
    Likes (Received)

I use Lightroom 4 and LOVE it. I had a "not so legit" version of LR2 to try it out and got hooked, so I ponied up for the legal copy. I'm still learning it though. I'm hoping to spend a weekend in the near future just sitting at my computer and watching tutorials on it.

I'll have to disappoint with the comically distorted bully noses. As much as I like the 10-22, there's very little fisheye effect. My copy has just a touch in the corners, but that's about it. If you weren't looking for it while zoomed in inside of LR or PS, you'd probably never notice it. I actually haven't used it on Ellie yet and now that I'm thinking of it, I'm kind of surprised.
    Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. - Cecil Beaton

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)

But comically distorted dog faces are half the reason to indulge in pet photography!

Lightroom is a wonder, honestly. I am still using LR3 but can't wait to use LR4. It has changed my workflow so much but I cannot imagine being without it now. There is a ton to learn though.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vince00 View Post
    If you have an external flash your 1/2 way there

When using the flash you should be able to angle it different directions, the worst option is shooting straight off the camera or using on camera flash it always looks bad. With your external flash point it about 45 degrees up towards the white ceiling (bounce flash) and the lighting quality will go WAY up...

As for your camera settings set your camera to "AV" mode for Canon or "A" mode for Nikon, this is Aperture priority mode and it will allow the background to blur easily with a DSLR.
    All you have to do is adjust your aperture to the lowest number you can for the lens equipped, hopefully in the 2.8 or 4 range atleast and the camera will determine shutter and ISO speeds so you don't have to worry about that.

So in summary, turn on the camera, set to AV mode, aim external flash up at the ceiling to bounce down on the subject from above, degrease Aperture to the smallest number you can 2.8 or 4 etc, zoom in as far as you can to add blur / depth of field, and then frame your shot and snap.

"IF" you find you still get blurry and slow pictures from the time you snap to the time it appears on the display you probably will find your shutter speed is too slow so in that case set your camera to "TV" mode Canon or S for Nikon and make sure you are shooting 'atleast' 1/60 of a second otherwise you will end up with a blurry photo indoors.

I wrote a little summary one time I will see if I can find it.
    Ok....well, I've figured out that much on the external flash...but all the buttons on it, nope. A wide angle will be my next investment, I just got some of the lens baby products for my birthday.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
    Likes (Received)

those pictures are awesome he's very handsome also

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Beautiful pictures!! Im in awe!

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

All you "Camera Freaks" should start a discussion group LOL

Those are amazing pix.... thanx for sharing with us all.

ps: just kidding about the freaks thing..

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)

@BruceP I do think we need a photography thread though. I know on other forums that aren't photography specific there are sometimes photography boards set up when interests overlap.

Perhaps one of the mods might help? *hint hint*

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by malaviKat View Post
    @BruceP I do think we need a photography thread though. I know on other forums that aren't photography specific there are sometimes photography boards set up when interests overlap.

Perhaps one of the mods might help? *hint hint*

We will get right on it if we dont already..... thanx for the suggestion. Anyone else have any suggestions feel free to PM me .

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

I contacted one of our Lead Mods and asked that a Photography Social Group be started... I would have done it but I know nothing about the hobby.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads