Bacon feeling better

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Well Boo passed his blockage and is back to his normal self enjoying his antler on his hassock ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352261181.162761.jpg

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
such great news!! so glad he is feeling better

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So glad he is feeling better and passed his blockage.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Well Boo passed his blockage and is back to his normal self enjoying his antler on his hassock View attachment 30183

In case folks didn't see that entire thread, you should recap what happened. It's a great lesson and a reason to react swiftly when you know your pup's not feeling right!

OP
Baconator

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Okay so here is what happened: Last Wednesday night, during the Sandy blackout Bacon was allowed to sleep with us out of his crate on the pullout bed so he could snuggle and keep warm because we had no heat. He woke up and got into something, because we woke up to him gagging, coughing, and vomiting: this went on for about a half hour and he finally settled down. We woke up the next morning and he was still gagging but no more vomiting. Jen took him to the vet, she said he must have eaten something that set him off insinuating it was food or something that was not creating a blockage. She gave medicine to settle his stomach and told us to give him pepcid as well. We took it upon ourselves to switch him over to bland diet at the same time as well. He wouldn't touch water for the first two days so we added additional water to the rice to compensate but still no :poo: which happened the last time we switched him to bland so we didn't really make a big deal out of it. The cough persisted as well but primarily when he first got up in the morning and if he got nuts running around. There we no signs of a blockage other then the lack of a :poo:. A few more days went by and I think we got one really squidgy :poo: out of him and the cough/gagging became only a first thing in the morning issue. But still no consistent :poo:. So now it's Monday morning 5-6 days after the initial episode and we decided to go back to the vet again that night. When we got home from work there was a big :poo: in his outdoor pen that was totally liquid when it came out. Took Bacon in she checked his lungs and she said she didn't hear anything. She was also very surprised that he still didn't have solid :poo:. We were discussing more and I said that I thought he had some sort of blockage based on what I saw and what I had seen with him in the past being that only liquid is getting passed the blockage. She gave him a good feel down and said she thought she felt some sort of blockage and wanted to do an x-ray. The x-ray came back negative but she said if there was a soft tissue blockage (anything other then rocks, metal, or a big piece of wood) it wouldn't show up unless they did a barium x-ray. She sent us home and suggested switching to liquid pepto instead of pepcid, tried to get us to feed him some intestinal lubricating food which we said no to because it was crap and said to call back on Wednesday and if he isn't better to come back for the barium x-ray. Jen got home from work yesterday and he hadn't :poo: again during the day in his outside kennel. So she took him out in the back yard and after a good heave hoe Bacon released what he ate on to the lawn. It appeared to be a black fabric type material which we think was from one of the couches that were pulled out into bed's which is why he could get to it. Long story short after going through this ordeal here are my suggestions. If you EVER think your bully ate something get a barium x-ray done first thing so you know for sure what is going on. Secondly, as mentioned by someone else in one of the 87 feeds that I frantically posted over the last week, I think he aspirated a little when throwing up which created the coughing/gagging in the morning. Kind of like when you go to drink something and it "goes down the wrong pipe" because that is slowly getting better on it's own. And just one more :poo: because I don't think there are enough in this post.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Glad he's doing better...he's looking as handsome as ever too!

OP
Baconator

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Okay so here is what happened: Last Wednesday night, during the Sandy blackout Bacon was allowed to sleep with us out of his crate on the pullout bed so he could snuggle and keep warm because we had no heat. He woke up and got into something, because we woke up to him gagging, coughing, and vomiting: this went on for about a half hour and he finally settled down. We woke up the next morning and he was still gagging but no more vomiting. Jen took him to the vet, she said he must have eaten something that set him off insinuating it was food or something that was not creating a blockage. She gave medicine to settle his stomach and told us to give him pepcid as well. We took it upon ourselves to switch him over to bland diet at the same time as well. He wouldn't touch water for the first two days so we added additional water to the rice to compensate but still no :poo: which happened the last time we switched him to bland so we didn't really make a big deal out of it. The cough persisted as well but primarily when he first got up in the morning and if he got nuts running around. There we no signs of a blockage other then the lack of a :poo:. A few more days went by and I think we got one really squidgy :poo: out of him and the cough/gagging became only a first thing in the morning issue. But still no consistent :poo:. So now it's Monday morning 5-6 days after the initial episode and we decided to go back to the vet again that night. When we got home from work there was a big :poo: in his outdoor pen that was totally liquid when it came out. Took Bacon in she checked his lungs and she said she didn't hear anything. She was also very surprised that he still didn't have solid :poo:. We were discussing more and I said that I thought he had some sort of blockage based on what I saw and what I had seen with him in the past being that only liquid is getting passed the blockage. She gave him a good feel down and said she thought she felt some sort of blockage and wanted to do an x-ray. The x-ray came back negative but she said if there was a soft tissue blockage (anything other then rocks, metal, or a big piece of wood) it wouldn't show up unless they did a barium x-ray. She sent us home and suggested switching to liquid pepto instead of pepcid, tried to get us to feed him some intestinal lubricating food which we said no to because it was crap and said to call back on Wednesday and if he isn't better to come back for the barium x-ray. Jen got home from work yesterday and he hadn't :poo: again during the day in his outside kennel. So she took him out in the back yard and after a good heave hoe Bacon released what he ate on to the lawn. It appeared to be a black fabric type material which we think was from one of the couches that were pulled out into bed's which is why he could get to it. Long story short after going through this ordeal here are my suggestions. If you EVER think your bully ate something get a barium x-ray done first thing so you know for sure what is going on. Secondly, as mentioned by someone else in one of the 87 feeds that I frantically posted over the last week, I think he aspirated a little when throwing up which created the coughing/gagging in the morning. Kind of like when you go to drink something and it "goes down the wrong pipe" because that is slowly getting better on it's own. And just one more :poo: because I don't think there are enough in this post.

I forgot to add that both times he was at the Vet she gave him shots of fluids loaded with electrolytes around his front shoulders that made him look like a hunchback to ensure he wouldn't get dehydrated and we were instructed to not feed him for 24 hours after this. During this entire process he never showed any distress signs, lethargy, tiredness, lack of coordination(worse then normal). He was same old little ball of energy

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
So glad he is doing better!! He looks very content! I love all the little poo piles in your recap haha. :) So basically the main symptoms were the vomiting initally, the coughing/gagging, and the lack of solid/consistent poo. All good things to remember as far as what might signify a blockage. I think we can all learn a lot from your ordeal. I'm happy he was able to pass the piece of the couch!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

EXCELLENT information..... so happy bacon boy is doing better

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
30183d1352261181-bacon-feeling-better-imageuploadedbytapatalk1352261181.162761.jpg

He definitely looks happy now!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.