Mavis
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350187539.176953.jpg

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Good shot!
Are you going to teach her to swim, or get her a life jacket?

28647d1350187542-wanna-go-pool-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350187539.176953.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She looks very curious! Be sure to get her a life jacket,

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
What a cutie pie... all wrinkly and stuff!!! :love:

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin

She certainly looks curious. We have a pool also and Dublin showed great interest so we were determined to teach her to swim. So many people thought we were crazy. "bulldogs don't swim" They are wrong.. IF you ever see Cesar's pack in the pool there are a whole bunch of bullies swimming. It takes patience ( no surprise with our bullies :)) Start with putting her in a life jacket and putting her on a floaty bed, with you in the water of course. Play with her by introducing the water onto the floaty and taking her around the pool. You will get an idea of her comfort level. Short play times but often. You then progress to just you and Mavis ( with her life jacket on Get her used to one early) Hold her close to you and walk her around the pool and you will see her begin to use her legs. Each time you take her in give her a little more distance from you but still holding her. Next step is to let her go ( dont' think I need to mention that she is still in her life jacket?? :yes:) for a few seconds. Stay calm and tell her what a good girl she is. Build the time up and always let her swim by herself to the steps the last couple of feet or as as you are exiting. When it is time to take her out of the life jacket, you begin the last step over again. The goal of this is that should your bullie ever fall in your pool or anyone else's they can at least make it to the steps to get out. Dont' be fooled by gates, fences or other pool protection items. We live in world of people who forget to do things all the time. She will more than likely be somewhat scared the first time you let her go by herself as you guide her towards the stairs but have someone on the other end with treats and a big "good girl" repeat, repeat, repeat...............She will get more play time in the pool if she is wearing her life jacket as she will tire less easily, but always make sure that you take it off for that last trip to the steps I know Dublin loves the water. Be it the pool or the beach or being on the boat. She does not however love to swim, but she can and for us that is the most important part of this whole exercise, and the fact that she loves to do the things we do. She loves to lay on her floaty bed but we alway make her swim the length of the pool to the steps to keep her "skills up" . She is never left unattended by the pool, but as I said previously you never know when things could happen. You and Mavis can look forward to many fun times in the pool in the future. P.S. She is so beautiful :2thumbs:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.