Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That is cute!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bulldogs are becoming very popular in advertisements/commercials.... kind of scares me. those not doing their research will start buying them and then .... ugh.

Bridget

Jul 28, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridget
Have you seen the new VW Jetta commercial advertising keyless entry? It insinuates that the bulldog has eaten the keys and the owner waves the dog in front of the door to demonstrate how keyless entry works. Totally funny to watch and yet horrifying at the same time as I wonder how life threatening that could be in reality. The commercial does end with the owner at the vets.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Bulldogs are becoming very popular in advertisements/commercials.... kind of scares me. those not doing their research will start buying them and then .... ugh.

I so agree with you and yes I love all the commercials especially the new Jetta one, but your worry is mine also.. Did you know that the no.1 most popular breed in CA is the EBN?? So many celebrities have them. When people say to me " Oh I want a EB like yours" I feel compelled to spell out the wonderful ups and the not so wonderful downs of the breed. I know there are fantastic breeders out there ( and on this site) but I worry so much about the EB's that are being breed by those not so fantastic breeders. I thought I did all of my research and still...... I love my Dublin and am truly lucky to have her but Oh! what a road it has been. I come from a family of breeders ( Boxers) and they are amazing and follow all guidelines but the stories they could tell..... I plan to adopt one of the ever growing number of abandoned EB's.... Please consider doing the same..

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I'll try to make this short in reference to people buying EB's b/c their cute and popular...

My friend had a pit mix who was hyper and she (& her bf) took no steps to train or exercise her. So they were looking for a new apartment, in a town they just HAD to live in b/c of the school system (they have 2 children), found one, wouldn't allow pitbulls, (why they didn't keep searching for an apartment that did) they got rid of her (shelter or adoption place of some sort), the guy for the apartment 'backed out' and they didn't get the apartment (even though they put a deposit on it :hmm::confused: don't know how this happens or can happen), they eventually find another apartment back in the city they came from that did allow dogs and got another dog (pit/lab mix)..there really is a point :) So her bf says to me after seeing pictures of Lilly & Bruin 'I want an EB, that's my next dog' :cursing: So at this point I'm irritated b/c I'm thinking 'you didn't train or exercise your other dog, which was why she was so hyper and you just got rid of her at the drop of a hat to live somewhere that you didn't even end up living!! Then you go get another dog like its nothing! And you want an EB that requires way more attention than you can obviously give'. So all I said was "yea they're cute, but really costly and very high maintenance" Then prayed my butt off that they don't get one. Let me just note that I haven't seen that friend or her bf since. I lost a lot of respect for them when they got rid of their first dog and got another one, all within a few months.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'll try to make this short in reference to people buying EB's b/c their cute and popular...

My friend had a pit mix who was hyper and she (& her bf) took no steps to train or exercise her. So they were looking for a new apartment, in a town they just HAD to live in b/c of the school system (they have 2 children), found one, wouldn't allow pitbulls, (why they didn't keep searching for an apartment that did) they got rid of her (shelter or adoption place of some sort), the guy for the apartment 'backed out' and they didn't get the apartment (even though they put a deposit on it :hmm::confused: don't know how this happens or can happen), they eventually find another apartment back in the city they came from that did allow dogs and got another dog (pit/lab mix)..there really is a point :) So her bf says to me after seeing pictures of Lilly & Bruin 'I want an EB, that's my next dog' :cursing: So at this point I'm irritated b/c I'm thinking 'you didn't train or exercise your other dog, which was why she was so hyper and you just got rid of her at the drop of a hat to live somewhere that you didn't even end up living!! Then you go get another dog like its nothing! And you want an EB that requires way more attention than you can obviously give'. So all I said was "yea they're cute, but really costly and very high maintenance" Then prayed my butt off that they don't get one. Let me just note that I haven't seen that friend or her bf since. I lost a lot of respect for them when they got rid of their first dog and got another one, all within a few months.

You are soooooooooooo much nicer than I would have been -- friend or not, knowing all you do/did I would have flat out said you can not handle the responsibilities of owning an EB -- EB's are not pets they are family members

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy

Those kind of people should not "own" ANY dog. Especially a bully who is not just any dog.... :luv:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow

first off that is a cute add for sure. second i have people when i take sarah to petco for a visit that say oh i want a eb and well i cant help but say yea there wonderful BUT they come with their problems which i list a few. i want people to understand this is a wonderful breed but they are alot of work and need alot of care and attention. i just want to save them having to get rid of it or heaven forbid not taking care of it so its neglected or abused. my neighbors across the street should not own pets but they seem to keep getting them. grrr

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
While I completely understand the high price for purchasing an English Bulldog, I also am glad for the fact that it does take many people out of the market for getting one that would be less than responsible. Granted it doesn't stop all, as our Bully Rescues show, but I can't imagine what it would be like if they were a less expensive breed.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Cute picture! It seems that EB have always been commercialized or in cartoon, movies etc. I think that especially now it is the breeders responsibility to interview and select only appropriate owners. Lisa made me jump through all kinds of hoops, lol!!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.