What happens in our house when you chew your paws.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
dublin in socks 1.jpgdublin in socks 2.jpgDublin's allergies are really bad right now. The "poster child" for Benedryl and now she chews her paws also if she is left alone for any length of time. this is new and unwelcome for sure...
Anyway she is "super" happy with her new socks:pouting:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I got a tip from a raw feeding group of a regimen of pro- and prebiotics, slippery elm and garlic-fenugreektablets that is supposed to help with this kind of issues. Chewing paws can be a sign of yeast or just boredom. If it's yeast this regimen could help...
every day for as long as it takes to see a difference..
1/2 tsp Bio Health
1/2 tsp Lacto Health
2 Slippery elm capsules
3 garlic-fenugreek tablets

My Usko licks his paws when we're away for too long, so it also can be behavioral.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas's allergies are out of control now too, I bet I wiped his feet 4 times yesterday because he was OCD licking. I have been giving benadryl daily here too. Something is in the air (grass) right now I think. He does this often but not as much as he has been this last few days.

OP
Dubbiedog

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
I got a tip from a raw feeding group of a regimen of pro- and prebiotics, slippery elm and garlic-fenugreektablets that is supposed to help with this kind of issues. Chewing paws can be a sign of yeast or just boredom. If it's yeast this regimen could help...
every day for as long as it takes to see a difference..
1/2 tsp Bio Health
1/2 tsp Lacto Health
2 Slippery elm capsules
3 garlic-fenugreek tablets

My Usko licks his paws when we're away for too long, so it also can be behavioral.

She does have yeast issues so I will work on getting the items you mention above and see what happens but I do know the issue from last evening had to be behavioral. She has take to doing this if we leave at all. We work from home and for the most part she is with us all day. If I leave and my husband is here then she is fine and vice versa but if we leave together we come back to soaking wet chewed paws and it is very distressing. This is only a new issue and I belive it started on our trip North to drop or son at college. She came with us but we had to leave her with my Brother and sister in law for a few hours while we took Luke into NYC and when we came back she had literally left a pool of spit and drool on their floor from chewing on her paws. They didnt' know what was going on and couldn't get her to stop. She is a super sociable dog but we dont' leave her at day care or with anyone. Before the trip we could leave her at home out of her crate and not a bother on her. Last night we had to take a client out to dinner and when we got home she had chewed her paw until it was bleeding and my older son was here. Any advice??? Is this a Cesar question??? :-)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It really is a Cesar question...I saw THE Cesar just this spring in Finland and the best wisdom that we took home from it was that worst thing dogs suffer this day is separation anxiety. You should select a place for your dog to stay when you're about to leave the house. Preferably his/hers own bed or where it's comfortable. Don't let her follow you around, but make her stay in one place. When she's comfortable when you leave, it's more likely that she is so when you're gone. If she's anxious when you leave she's more likely to be anxious and lick and chew her paws when you leave.

I also work from home 2 out of 5 days so Usko is use to being with somebody, so I believe he licking his paws is totally behavioral.

Last edited:

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
If you have like paper tape (medical style or hockey stick tape, which we have abundance of) tape lightly around the top 3/4 of the socks. Just enough so it is difficult to get them off. Not on the fur. When I daughter was a toddler she got into something and had horrible reaction on her feet and we used to tape them on at night so she wouldn't scratch them.

OP
Dubbiedog

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
It really is a Cesar question...I saw THE Cesar just this spring in Finland and the best wisdom that we took home from it was that worst thing dogs suffer this day is separation anxiety. You should select a place for your dog to stay when you're about to leave the house. Preferably his/hers own bed or where it's comfortable. Don't let her follow you around, but make her stay in one place. When she's comfortable when you leave, it's more likely that she is so when you're gone. If she's anxious when you leave she's more likely to be anxious and lick and chew her paws when you leave.

Yes I remember reading your posts. That had to be wonderful! You hit the nail on the head. She follows us around like crazy and does get more and more anxious. We had stopped putting her in her crate when we left as she is usually so good and never touches anything and was never anxious until leaving her at the in laws for a few hours. I think i will have to do the crate thing again as there is no way she will stop following us and stay in one place unless it is her crate. Thanks for the advice :yes:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
this is not my happy face!

26781d1347112686-what-happens-our-house-when-you-chew-your-paws-dublin-socks-2.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well, at least the coordinate with her name-sake :D

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
I bought the contraption online that has garter like things for the socks to keep them on, for dogs who chew their feet. But I am so scared to use them at night when he's in his crate, in case he chews the elastic and gets sick. I tried the socks one night and they were off the next morning of course. Mr. D won't stop licking whenever someone isn't around. All his feet are pink between the toes and I am at my wit's end. NOTHING has worked to end this, antihistamines, antibiotics, neo predef, salve I bought online (which I just used once as it's petroleum based and I'm worried it's going to start yeast or worse) I see people recommend bitter apple but I forsee an allergic reaction to that junk. This all started after a few nights at the kennel. He came home with red/raw feet in July and we just can't get a handle on it now, though it improved a bit after the meds. He also kicks like crazy whenever he goes to the bathroom so that's can't help either. Any ideas guys? He gets bathed every 2 weeks or so. I spray his feet daily with an anti bacteria/yeast spray.
ETA He's been allergy tested - the food he eats supposedly has nothing in it he's allergic to. I also give him snip tip oils every night in his food.

Last edited:
OP
Dubbiedog

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
I bought the contraption online that has garter like things for the socks to keep them on, for dogs who chew their feet. But I am so scared to use them at night when he's in his crate, in case he chews the elastic and gets sick. I tried the socks one night and they were off the next morning of course. Mr. D won't stop licking whenever someone isn't around. All his feet are pink between the toes and I am at my wit's end. NOTHING has worked to end this, antihistamines, antibiotics, neo predef, salve I bought online (which I just used once as it's petroleum based and I'm worried it's going to start yeast or worse) I see people recommend bitter apple but I forsee an allergic reaction to that junk. This all started after a few nights at the kennel. He came home with red/raw feet in July and we just can't get a handle on it now, though it improved a bit after the meds. He also kicks like crazy whenever he goes to the bathroom so that's can't help either. Any ideas guys? He gets bathed every 2 weeks or so. I spray his feet daily with an anti bacteria/yeast spray.
ETA He's been allergy tested - the food he eats supposedly has nothing in it he's allergic to. I also give him snip tip oils every night in his food.

Hi I just saw this now. The one thing that stands out in your post is the fact that you noticed it when he came back from the kennel and you hit the nail on the head. Now dublin does lick and chew her feet because of allergies but she had a major episode when we took her to NY when taking my son to college. she was amazing on the trip and had to stay with us in numerous "strange" places. We left her with my brother and sister in law on Long Island ( just for a few hours) while we went into the city. When we got back, she was beside herself. She had chewed and licked her paws until they were red and literally dripping in spit and drool. It struck me there and then she was doing that out of anxiety. Poor baby thought we had left her as we never do other than at home. it has taken weeks for her to back off quite a bit from the licking and chewing but once she does it is furious.. If you met her you would be struck by how sweet, laidback and quiet she is. She keeps it all in and boom! the anxiety comes out like it did when we left her that time. I spoke to the vet about it and of course he said there are many reasons that dog lick and chew and anxiety and boredom are two of them. How is Mr. D today???? I have used the Bitter Apple and it works for a lot of things and is very safe, but if Mr. D is doing it for a psychological reason you have to work on distracting him when you see him do it. Let me know how it is going. Ann

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: have you ever heard of dermapaw its for paws go on the website dermapaw.com an as for yeast infection Franklin had one really bad on his tail an all I used was Apple cider vinegar / water 50/50 in spay bottle an in 4 days it was gone but the dermapaw I got for my male that just past he had bad paws I order dermapaw an some socks for dogs that had stretchy thing on them I forget what it's called but they help them stay on View attachment 27374

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.