The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Chubby or not too chubby?

Considering even losing 5 lbs can make such a big difference, let's see how she looks when she's down by that much.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kain
    Likes (Received)

If they are to have an hourglass shape she's heavy she has more of a V shape. Kain is a definite hourglass but only 6 months and 28 lbs. I would lighten her load wont be a bad thing for sure either way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Just by cutting out the people food alone should make a difference. Check out the Vegas stew that our vet suggested for Vegas. He was around 68 to 69 pounds a few years ago. Then our vet told us that he was fat. It really ruined my day. I don't think Vegas really cared, until we took away his treats. He only gets frozen green beans..and he loves it.

We don't make him exercise, but the food change and treat change did wonders. He is now between 52 and 55 pounds. He has a nice tapered waist....which I'd never seen before. All my mom's bulldogs are bigger than Mini hippos. Both Vegas and Orion loved the stew....I cut down their food intake to 1/2 cup kibble and all the stew they wanted. Sometimes I'd give them 1 cup of stew sometimes 2 cups of stew. It got to the point where O was looking "too trim". She is so tiny, even 2 pounds makes a difference. We try to keep her between 32 to 35 pounds.
    Let me know what you think about it....I'll help if I can. I really think the food change will really help.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

I agree a few pounds will make a huge diff. I have finally gotten Cutty skinny as can be. He could gain a pound I think but with his knee I dont wanna do that to him. Trying to keep him right where he is for now which is 47 pounds. I say dont go by the weight but go by the looks. When they lay down they are supposed to look too skinny sort of. I remember thinking Cutty looked too skinny when we got him that is why I say that. He lays down and his tummy is sucked in and his big chest sticks out. Now of course no ribs are showing when he is standing at all. But you can def see where the last rib ends and the tuck is good on him right now.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

Okay and I get in "trouble" cause Dublin is "fat" and she is down from 51 to 47lbs but she is short and stocky.....

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubs
    Likes (Received)

Tubs is around 62 lbs. He was up to 65 at one point, but I just make sure he has his lovely little waist. He was also the biggest one out of his litter. I feed him a cup of kibble in the morning and a cup at night. If he doesn't eat what I gave him in the morning, I don't give him more at night. The vet had also told me at one point to give him more in the morning and less at night (if he ever had a problem with his weight) because of his activity level. However, he is actually more active at night...LOL.....he sleeps all day (guess what he is doing right now). He also likes fruit (strawberries, bananas, watermelon), those along with veggies would be good treats!!!!!! He does not get any people food (other than fruits) at all. My aunt tried to give him a piece of soft pretzel the other day and I almost took her head off!!! :hahaha:

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    I'll just say it, she's a bit, ahhhh, chubby. But hey so am I right now. No seriously I saw two other bullies at my vet's office not long ago and omg they were fat! Not chubby, fat! They looked like mini hippos.

@cali baker what do you think?
    ummm...i think she is a tad on the "big boned" side! okay, a little "chubby" is a good description! my guy Tate is a chubby one too. I'm trying to get him down to 60lbs from the 67lbs that he is now. Better for overall health of our precious bulldogs to keep them on a lower weight. How did i know feeding him applewood smoked bacon every now and then would cause him to get chubby?

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lacey
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Silva and Stella
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone! We go for shots in a month, so I will see how some of the changes I made worked!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Anonymous

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Since she is tall... she will weight more than average bully weight, but the tapered waste is what you want to see when looking at her from the position

We had this issue with Banks... she was up to 70lbs and our vet was NOT happy... we cut her kibble in half (1/2 cup) and substituted the other 1/2 cup with green beans -- she lost the 10 lbs in about 6 wks
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

As everyone knows, I am mama to formerly the heaviest bulldog on the board in Linus. Stella has him beat and he's a male.

You love Stella and Stella loves to eat but yes, she needs to lose a few pounds. At his heaviest, Linus was 83 pounds - and yes, like Stella he is a big bully, but he was also too fat.

We have him down to 75 now and even that little bit makes a huge difference so try a few little things to shave off the weight. I'd still like to get 5 more off of Linus but those have been harder to come by.

She will age better and live longer and be happier as a reward...and what a big reward that is!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rupert
    Likes (Received)

She looks fine. Little Rupert has a tail too, so he tail wags and butt wiggles!

-img_2786-jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads