Cooper playing on the Swing Set!

OP
C

Cooper11

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] [MENTION=3872]Watson[/MENTION]

I just started having to chain him. It isn't a chain it is a normal wire leash thing. But I can't sit out with him the whole time because i can't leave my 2 year old in the house alone. When he is able to come out with me I don't chain him up. The chain is as big as our yard he can go over 50 feet so he wouldn't be allowed to go any further than that anyway. He was good for awhile and would go out and come right back up. But since we have like 5 dogs that roam the neighborhood he goes after them.

My shih tzu who was very well trained and never left the yard got hit by a car and I am NEVER going to let that happen again. I will stand and watch him but when he started ignoring me when i said to come in and he ran to the front yard I had to chain him up. He doesn't get chained all the time..if I am outside he is not chained. My other dog is not chained either. Once Cooper learns he can't run the neighborhood then he will be free to run. He is rough and when he sees the little dog in the neighborhood he runs after them and he is too rough. So for his safety and the other dogs he gets chained. Personally I wold rather see some one chain their dog than to let it run all over the neighborhood. It would be different if Cooper listened to me but he does not so he has to get chained. Half the time I don't even think he realizes he is chained up.

OP
C

Cooper11

And at this point if he doesn't get chained up he will Kill himself on the swing set!!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
You can't walk him on a leash to potty? Then leave him in the house while out with the baby? I don't understand. Miila gets crazy over the girls swingset so she goes in when they r out if need be.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
C

Cooper11

You can't walk him on a leash to potty? Then leave him in the house while out with the baby? I don't understand. Miila gets crazy over the girls swingset so she goes in when they r out if need be.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Leave him in the house while out with the baby......No he will go up on the swing set regardless if they are up there or not. And I do go for walks but No I cannot take him for a walk every time he has to potty. What is the difference between me walking him on a leash to go potty vs chaining him....He doesn't not hurt himself. He goes down the step and goes potty and he will sniff around and then come right back in. If I was worried about his safety or him getting hurt by me chaining I would not chain him.... I did not make this thread to have every one jumping me about chaining my dog up. They do sell these chains and such at every pet store and I am sure i am not the only one who chains my dog.

OP
C

Cooper11

yes he could get hurt by the wire but he can also get hurt running up the deck, running up the steps, jumping from the couch, chasing my other dog....as I said I watch him and I am not worried about him hurting himself on the chain. He has NEVER got his leg caught in the chain or even close to.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I didn't realize your yard wasn't fenced..but I do have a suggestion! My daughter bought one of those big kennel runs with roof..gate..all enclosed. It works great to contains them safely and you can padlock it too!so for a couple hundred bucks it is a safe place for him to hang out and no chain! It's something that breaks down too if you ever move and they ome in different sizes. Hers has a top to keep sun off too...just a suggestion Megan..I've heard of too many dogs hanging themselves in situations no one could foresee. I'm not judging you at all, but now Coop knows about the slide..what if he broke loose and got caught up on something that normally would be okay for him to play on. Sometimes our best intentions turn on us..

OP
C

Cooper11

I didn't realize your yard wasn't fenced..but I do have a suggestion! My daughter bought one of those big kennel runs with roof..gate..all enclosed. It works great to contains them safely and you can padlock it too!so for a couple hundred bucks it is a safe place for him to hang out and no chain! It's something that breaks down too if you ever move and they ome in different sizes. Hers has a top to keep sun off too...just a suggestion Megan..I've heard of too many dogs hanging themselves in situations no one could foresee. I'm not judging you at all, but now Coop knows about the slide..what if he broke loose and got caught up on something that normally would be okay for him to play on. Sometimes our best intentions turn on us..

Yeah we had a privacy fence at our old house...and were planning on getting on here.....Just haven't done it yet and since there are so many kids running around in the back yard from yard to yard I dunno if we will.....And I watch him when he goes out. I don't just chain him and let him go. In the morning when the hubby will let him out he doesn't get chained cuz he is tired and comes right back in...at night he doesn't get chained either cause he is afraid of the dark and won't leave the yard. So he is chained probably 2 times a day that is if I can't go out with him. I know what you are saying Becky :) My mother in law had a German Shepard hurt her leg because they chained her up. Eventually he won't have to be chained he will learn to stay in the yard. I have done it with all my dogs...I haven't chained all my dogs but i have had good luck with all my dogs learning to stay in the yard. I have also looked into the kennel thing the chain link looking ones???? is that what you are talking about. In the summer it get so Hot and humid here so he will NOT be outside often at all. he will go out and come right back in. Like I said i am well aware of the dangers of him being chained and that is why i watch him. I think he is safer on the chain and has a better chance of getting hit by a car if not on a chain then hurting his leg or something from the chain. I can totally take suggestions and I am open to anything but I posted this video not to say I chain my dog up and have everyone all over me. There are things I don't agree with people doing but that is when I just don't leave a comments. I didn't take your comment at all as being rude. :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Meg I dont think everyone was jumping all over you, just concerned for coops safety. Try not to take it so. I will be watching this thread to make sure it does not get out of hand.

btw I loved seeing coop in seeing all his markings. He sure is pretty!

Members online

No members online now.