Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
The last 36 hours have been hectic. I don't know whether to smile or cry. It started on Wednesday night about 7:30 when I got home from work. Putting my shoes and coat in the closet, I smelled a funky smell. Fearing it could be a gas leak, we turned our gas off. So, we spent the night with no heat and the morning with no hot water (except what was in the tank) The gas company was due at our house between 8 and 8:30, but I had to leave for work at 7:50. So, the kids got an early breakfast and then I took them upstairs to my room. I put Orion into her travel kennel and I left Vegas loose in the room. I turned up the tv pretty loud in hopes of easing his anxiety when the gas Co came to the door.

I get a call at work from my MIL stating that Vegas threw up his breakfast and meds. I asked her to give him his meds again. By the time I got home at 5:30, Vegas had thrown up about 8 to 10 times throughout the day. He was laying on top of his kennel and barely lifted his head when I walked in the door. Poor baby. He started throwing up about 9ish, but it was just phlegm and blood. I decided to feed Vegas only a small amount of rice with his seizure tabs. I neglected to give him his potassium bromide, but with good reason. Potassium bromide takes awhile to build up into the system. So, once you change a dose...it takes weeks to see the result. I usually give him 4mls and I pour it onto a small portion of bread. It's very salty...and they mix it with beef flavoring.
With that being said, I didn't want the salty mixture going into his already upset tummy. So, last night he got diazepam and phenobarbital only.
This morning Vegas had a grand mal seizure about 5:15am. Then he paced for about an hour and a half. Usually the seizures cause him to "forage for food", so I put a plate on the floor with the rest of the rice from last night. Not a good idea.

Now I have sticky rice all over the kitchen floor. It's hard to get up with a rag, it just rolls and smears. I have it all over my jammies, floors, cabinets (Vegas has been pacing and running into the cabinets and wiping his face on it) I've stepped in it with my slippers...and when I walk it makes a sticky suction sound, so I removed them and then I stepped in it with my socks. Using the rag is challenging, because Vegas wants what I clean up with the rag. I tried to use the mop, but Orion wants to attack it. *sigh*

What can I do? I have 7 hours before I have to be at work. So, I made you a movie with my video from this morning. This does not show his seizure, this only shows what it's like AFTER he has one. This is not all the time. Sometimes he goes right to sleep. Sometimes he paces for several hours.

Video.jpg

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Oh honey, I wish there was something someone could do for him, and you. He is teaching us lots. Thank you so much for sharing the facts of canine epilepsy and how you live with it in your life.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I feel terrible for him, and you, having to go through this... wish there was something I could do to help. He is lucky to have you as a Mom though.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh Cheryl, how heartbreaking. I don't know how you do it! Vegas is so sweet, I hurt for him that he has to endure these. :( You are such a good bully mama :heart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I truely have no words.... wow.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
oh boy. I don't know ow you doing without bursting into tears, but I'm glad you do it! He looks like a healthy guy.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor Vegas, so glad he has you for his bully mama. Give him a big hug from us, and Miss O too, she's so cute.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
So many :hug: to you and Vegas. You are an amazing person for all the love and care you give your bullies, especially in these hardest of times.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.