FAQ: Do you give your bullies supplements? If so, what do you give and how often?

lovemybull

Jan 8, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
UB
Interested in what brand of joint supplements people are giving. I see NuVet, Movoflex and Acti-flex but others are referring to glucosamine in general. My bully had been blood tested a while ago (8 years) and showed allergies to chicken. Nuvet and Movoflex both have chicken in them. Thank you!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Interested in what brand of joint supplements people are giving. I see NuVet, Movoflex and Acti-flex but others are referring to glucosamine in general. My bully had been blood tested a while ago (8 years) and showed allergies to chicken. Nuvet and Movoflex both have chicken in them. Thank you!

Tumeric with a little bit of black pepper or GLM (green lipped mussel powder) [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION]

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

I'm going to be trying the GLM but I also just came across this Liquid Glucosamine I might try at some point - https://www.liquidhealthpets.com/

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
The Liquid Glucosamine I buy is the one at Costco. All Liquid supplements are absorbed faster thought the system. Anything thatā€™s liquid, oils are way better than hard capsules/ tablets. For Capsules, only about 50% is absorbed. Waste of money. The powder form is much better than capsules. I said this often for turmeric you need to add just a tiny tiny pinch of black pepper for its full potent to be absorbed n any silicon/plastic capsules is to be thrown away n just use whatever is inside into your dogā€™s meal. Our human capsules are not made for any dogā€™s digestion.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
The Liquid Glucosamine I buy is the one at Costco. All Liquid supplements are absorbed faster thought the system. Anything thatā€™s liquid, oils are way better than hard capsules/ tablets. For Capsules, only about 50% is absorbed. Waste of money. The powder form is much better than capsules. I said this often for turmeric you need to add just a tiny tiny pinch of black pepper for its full potent to be absorbed n any silicon/plastic capsules is to be thrown away n just use whatever is inside into your dogā€™s meal. Our human capsules are not made for any dogā€™s digestion.

Is the liquid you get okay for dogs as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Is the liquid you get okay for dogs as well?

I do give it to Nyala ONLY every other day and havenā€™t started Duke on it just yet. I donā€™t believe over supplementing too much when they are very young. They both eat very well, healthy n gets a lot of exercise. I find the problem with people they will boost all sorts in their pets when nothing is wrong with them. This is my opinion for young dogā€™s. Unless there is a health issue (like Jax) or eating grain kibbles or junk food, thatā€™s another story. My friend has. 9yr old lab n a 4yr old mix husky. The 9yr old started limping due to the age. She gives him that liquid glucosamine from Costco and he now can run a bit more. She also gives him essential oils, bone broth etc. Herself she has knee issues so when she takes her dose so does Spud. Her 4yr old takes it only every other day like Nyala. In my opinion, a dog that is healthy and is around 5yrs old, should be the right time to start ā€œcertainā€ supplements but not everything thatā€™s out there. I rather give or boost my dogs with produce. Bare in mind saying this, doesnā€™t mean it works for Nyala will work for all dogs. I just know I rather have all supplements if possible in liquid form. Intravenous is even better but thatā€™s another story which wonā€™t happen lolll.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I do give it to Nyala ONLY every other day and havenā€™t started Duke on it just yet. I donā€™t believe over supplementing too much when they are very young. They both eat very well, healthy n gets a lot of exercise. I find the problem with people they will boost all sorts in their pets when nothing is wrong with them. This is my opinion for young dogā€™s. Unless there is a health issue (like Jax) or eating grain kibbles or junk food, thatā€™s another story. My friend has. 9yr old lab n a 4yr old mix husky. The 9yr old started limping due to the age. She gives him that liquid glucosamine from Costco and he now can run a bit more. She also gives him essential oils, bone broth etc. Herself she has knee issues so when she takes her dose so does Spud. Her 4yr old takes it only every other day like Nyala. In my opinion, a dog that is healthy and is around 5yrs old, should be the right time to start ā€œcertainā€ supplements but not everything thatā€™s out there. I rather give or boost my dogs with produce. Bare in mind saying this, doesnā€™t mean it works for Nyala will work for all dogs. I just know I rather have all supplements if possible in liquid form. Intravenous is even better but thatā€™s another story which wonā€™t happen lolll.

Yeah, Iā€™m looking into joint supplements for Jax. Will they help him? Who knows but I have to try. I got the GLM but havenā€™t started it yet. Want to make sure heā€™s on track and donā€™t want to start adding in a whole bunch of new stuff all at the same time. So weā€™ve started the CBD oil. I have The Honest Kitchen bone broth. I got lazy and stopped mixing it up but will start again. I also have fermented fish stock that I give here and there.

I can see it now...Helene will soon be walking around with an IV of supplements lol.

lovemybull

Jan 8, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
UB
Thank you 2BullyMama and Cbrugs for your quick responses! I am interested in the liquid health K-9 glucosamine option that Cbrugs mentioned. BUT it has aloe vera juice- from what I've (over)read, some say aloe vera juice is not good for dogs?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Yeah, Iā€™m looking into joint supplements for Jax. Will they help him? Who knows but I have to try. I got the GLM but havenā€™t started it yet. Want to make sure heā€™s on track and donā€™t want to start adding in a whole bunch of new stuff all at the same time. So weā€™ve started the CBD oil. I have The Honest Kitchen bone broth. I got lazy and stopped mixing it up but will start again. I also have fermented fish stock that I give here and there.

I can see it now...Helene will soon be walking around with an IV of supplements lol.

Just stick to your CBD oil for now till he gets back on track. Since heā€™s a small little guy a tablespoon per day is enough. I stopped giving fish oil. But when I did, i looked for cold press if possible. Heated oils are useless imo. I buy little frozen herrings as a snack for my 2. Way better than any oil.

Btw, when you feel drained and you need that ā€œpick me upperā€..... look for a naturopath that does IV B12.... really works!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Just stick to your CBD oil for now till he gets back on track. Since heā€™s a small little guy a tablespoon per day is enough. I stopped giving fish oil. But when I did, i looked for cold press if possible. Heated oils are useless imo. I buy little frozen herrings as a snack for my 2. Way better than any oil.

Btw, when you feel drained and you need that ā€œpick me upperā€..... look for a naturopath that does IV B12.... really works!!

Oh, both my boys love little sea critters lol. They go crazy for sardines. I also get freeze dried little minnows as snacks.

Sofia

Jul 9, 2018
Athens,Greece
Country
Greece
Bulldog(s) Names
Kyla
A silly question from me as a new member at EBN.it is neccessary for a healthy puppy to get supplements ( I dont mean yogurt or acv which are natural ways to help)?is from preventing for future problems?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
A silly question from me as a new member at EBN.it is neccessary for a healthy puppy to get supplements ( I dont mean yogurt or acv which are natural ways to help)?is from preventing for future problems?

It really depends on what food you feed

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online