FAQ: Do you give your bullies supplements? If so, what do you give and how often?

rocky1

May 4, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Giving Blue Wilderness chicken supplemented with 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil 1x daily, 400 mg glucosamine/chondroitin tab and 1000 mg ester- C. Thinking of adding Omega 3. Given that Blu has glucosamine and Omega 3,6, and 9, do you think all of these supplements are necessary for healthy 2 year old with good stools? Shedding is out of control, so i thought the additional omega 3 would help. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Giving Blue Wilderness chicken supplemented with 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil 1x daily, 400 mg glucosamine/chondroitin tab and 1000 mg ester- C. Thinking of adding Omega 3. Given that Blu has glucosamine and Omega 3,6, and 9, do you think all of these supplements are necessary for healthy 2 year old with good stools? Shedding is out of control, so i thought the additional omega 3 would help. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi, the shedding may be caused by seasonal changes, but it could also be caused by allergies as well. You mention that you are currently feeding Blue Wilderness, which is a chicken based kibble. Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken and grains. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, beef and grains and my male Bulldozer was never allergic to anything until last year, when he developed an allergy to beef after being on the same food for 2 years. He started showing signs of allergies like excessive licking of his paws, yeasty ears, goopy eyes, and excessive shedding, his hair was coming off in clumps. I switched their food to Fromms Lamb and Lentil, and they have been on this food for almost a year with good results. You are already giving great supplements with glucosamine and chondroitin, and these are great for the joints and bones, you are adding oil, although I haven't heard about vegetable oil, only salmon oil, cod liver oil, olive oil, and coconut oils. I wouldn't add any more oils as you are already giving one source. We give our guys 1 Tbsp of coconut oil in their evening kibble, along with kelp, which contains every vitamin your dog will need. We also add 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday, but you can also add it to the evening kibble instead. There are many health benefits to ACV, such as it is a natural anti inflammatory, which is good for joints and bones and also good for hair and coat, plus it is a natural anti bacterial and anti fungal, which kills the bad bacteria in the body, so it boosts the immune system, as well as it balances the Ph levels of the blood. We also add 2 Tbsps of plain unsweetened yogurt to the morning kibble which is a good source of Probiotics which aids in digestion, and also boosts the immune system as well.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Izzy gets:

AM: 2 pumps of Salmon oil with her kibble and 1 tbs of Greek Yogurt. 1 Rymadil covered in Peanut Butter (thats her anti imflammatory medication for her knee) and 1 multivitamin. Sometimes I will switch it up and give the coconut oil - which she loves! I make fun of her and say she will make love to her bowl when I give coconut oil because she will keep licking the bowl for hours after she is done eating! It's kind of cute to watch! :) But since I bought a huge container of Salmon Oil we are sticking to that for now.

PM: Mainly kibble - no toppings. I guess all the fun happens in the morning!

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
I use all of these daily :)

NuVet Plus
Turmeric w/a dab of coconut oil to aid in digestion - I use for it's anti-cancer properties plus it's an anti-inflammatory!
Glucosamine & Chondroitin (I use it as a preventative starting at 4yr of age in all my bullies) None have ever had hip or joint issues. One is 8 and the other passed at almost 12!
Vit E (b/c fish oil depletes this vitamin in the body)
Raw fermented fish stock by Answers Pet Food - supposedly it is better than fish oil
Raw fermented goats milk by Answers Pet Food - use for it's digestive enzymes and probiotics

MichelleDavis

Jul 22, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chase
Our bulldog is turning 6 in November and just this year we have started him on the chewable Glucosamine and Chrondroitin for his joints. He started getting funny with a limp if he lays down too long, but since we have had him on his supplements, he has been good! Thanks for the tips! We will try giving him some of the plain yogurt and coconut oil into his food to see how he does with it :)

Michelle & Wesley

pumbasmom

Jun 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pumba Ru
Pumba is 13 weeks old and our vet suggested Cosequin for small dogs since he is under 25 lbs. We give plain Greek yogurt as a frozen treat mixed with unrefined coconut oil. We also use two pumps of Healthy Extension skin and coat. As for dry food we are slowing moving him over to Solid Gold large breed puppy with raw food toppers. I am curious as to the Vitamin C our doctor recommended we get Pumba on it daily but do you use human vitamin C supplements any recommendations?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Pumba is 13 weeks old and our vet suggested Cosequin for small dogs since he is under 25 lbs. We give plain Greek yogurt as a frozen treat mixed with unrefined coconut oil. We also use two pumps of Healthy Extension skin and coat. As for dry food we are slowing moving him over to Solid Gold large breed puppy with raw food toppers. I am curious as to the Vitamin C our doctor recommended we get Pumba on it daily but do you use human vitamin C supplements any recommendations?

Ask your vet about Movoflex— we use it for Cheli’s spine issues and it really helps.
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] might have insight on vitamin C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Dogs manufacture their own vitamin C in the liver, so I would not give it as a supplement for a healthy dog or a puppy. Since you're giving raw food as well I would rather chop some sweet pepper and put some of that in his food. It has a lot of healthy ingredients in a more natural form.

pumbasmom

Jun 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pumba Ru
Good to know. I noticed this morning Pumbas eyes are funky his paws are a tad pinker then usual. I cleaned his eyes and instantly said to myself home cooking it is. I made a pot of ground turkey cooked some carrots and butternut squash cooked one egg and grounded the shell with 2tablespoons of organic flaxseed. Then chopped up a bunch of organic spinach and peels apples. I have the Health Extension joint mobility and just read the fine print that says it has traces of wheat. So now at a loss as to how to get his glucosamine in his diet. Any suggestions on this or any advice on what to add to his food? Oh I also put a handful of blueberries in the mix. Running to the store to get sweet peppers now am I missing anything? I used two pounds of ground turkey to start. No beans or lentils thinking of adding peas. Oh and I mixed in two teaspoons of organic apple cider vinegar. Yes I have lost my mind today!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good to know. I noticed this morning Pumbas eyes are funky his paws are a tad pinker then usual. I cleaned his eyes and instantly said to myself home cooking it is. I made a pot of ground turkey cooked some carrots and butternut squash cooked one egg and grounded the shell with 2tablespoons of organic flaxseed. Then chopped up a bunch of organic spinach and peels apples. I have the Health Extension joint mobility and just read the fine print that says it has traces of wheat. So now at a loss as to how to get his glucosamine in his diet. Any suggestions on this or any advice on what to add to his food? Oh I also put a handful of blueberries in the mix. Running to the store to get sweet peppers now am I missing anything? I used two pounds of ground turkey to start. No beans or lentils thinking of adding peas. Oh and I mixed in two teaspoons of organic apple cider vinegar. Yes I have lost my mind today!

c9031ac68c67cd9650ba1450c6f2bf19.jpg

This is what I use for joints... no wheat in it

pumbasmom

Jun 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pumba Ru
Thank you!! I am going to google it! I ran to Petsmart on my way home and everything had slight traces of wheat or say. I am going to google this now and call my vet first thing in the am about it! Thanks so much!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you!! I am going to google it! I ran to Petsmart on my way home and everything had slight traces of wheat or say. I am going to google this now and call my vet first thing in the am about it! Thanks so much!

No prescription needed... Amazon. My vet told us about it and he highly recommended

Damn.. last ingredient is soybean oil *sigh*
I never noticed it and might explain some things with Lambeau, as he is allergic to soy. CRAP

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I am going to start giving Jax GLM (green lipped mussel powder). It is supposed to be a natural anti-inflammatory and good for the joints.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
for the joints,,,, some of us use the cosequin ds (10.00 off at costco right now) or the acti flex for horses (and humans and dogs!) Has some great stuff in it and my daughters pug has lost her limp being on this one right now !!! :) Must adjust dose for weight ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online