FAQ: Do you give your bullies supplements? If so, what do you give and how often?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I was wondering what Supplements everyone uses or adds to their bullies dog food? How much they add? How often they add them? And if you see any improvements or benefits from using these supplements.

I add 4 supplements to Bulldozer and Blossoms food everyday:

1} I add 2 Tbsps of plain yogurt to their morning kibble everyday. Yogurt is a great source of
Probiotics, which is great for digestion, elimination, and it boosts the immune system. It helps
to fight infections, parasites, and allergy symptoms. Allergies are caused by an abnormal
response of the immune system, so by boosting the immune system you can help the body fight
these off. Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, beef, corn and grains.

2} I add 1 Tbsp. of Apple Cider Vinegar to their drinking water everyday. There are many health
benefits to using ACV, such as it is a natural anti inflammatory, (99% of diseases including
Arthritis are caused by inflammation in the body), it is also a natural anti bacterial and anti fungal,
which kills the bad bacteria in the body, so again boosts the immune system. It also balances the
Ph levels of the blood. There is an excellent article that our member Sherry posted on the Home
Page, called The Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar, it lists all the many other benefits of this
supplement.

3} I also add 1 Tbsp. of Coconut Oil to their evening kibble everyday. Coconut Oil is an excellent
source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids, which is beneficial for skin the skin and coat, bones and joints,
as well as the brain. You can also use Salmon Oil or Cod Liver Oil, although some bullies are
allergic to, or don't tolerate Salmon Oil, and when you use fish oils, it can leave a fishy smell.

4} I also add 1 Tsp. of PetKelp Joint and Bone Formula, with added Chrondroitin and Glucosamine to
the evening kibble everyday. Kelp provides over 70 Vitamins and Minerals from Ocean Kelp, and
provides all the vitamins your dog will ever need, plus the added benefits of Chrondroitin and
Glucosamine which helps keep the bones and joints healthy.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Great Info. I give yogurt as a topper and NuVet.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs get Kauffman's Stress Protection formula, which is probiotics, vitamins minerals and anti oxidents. They also get glucosimine, and active culture yogurt for a nightime snack. and they get AWAY WITH TOO MUCH!!!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea gets Kefir, coconut oil and powdered probiotics daily. We used to give her HardyPet and switched to NuVet but we had to stop both as she is sensitive to the chicken that is in them.

Feb 17, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley
Charley is on Nupro (gold) Vitamin supplement that he gets as a gravy on his evening meal; he loves it and we've noticed dramatic improvement in his skin and coat! He was on pumpkin for a while, but we recently stopped adding it to his morning once we got him on the Nupro. I like the yogurt idea for the morning though, I may start doing that as well!

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
I just started giving him a tablespoon of yogurt. I'm not sure if it's causing Diarrhea though. His poop was too soft. Is ACV good to give for a 15 week old already?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I just started giving him a tablespoon of yogurt. I'm not sure if it's causing Diarrhea though. His poop was too soft. Is ACV good to give for a 15 week old already?

Cut back a little on the yogurt, maybe a teaspoon see if that helps. Yes, AVC is fine now

deerhuntress

Jan 24, 2015
Alabama
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
I've started given salmon oil and kelp on Roscoe's food about a month ago. I give him probiotic wafers but I just ordered NuVet to try.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella gets ACV, coconut oil, and fish oil as toppers on both of her daily meals.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
We give yogurt (plain white or Greek), coconut oil, nuvet and nujoint, I also make a pot of homecooked food for a few meals a week, but not lately since I can't cook at the moment. They are doing well without it but I'm sure they miss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We give yogurt (plain white or Greek), coconut oil, nuvet and nujoint, I also make a pot of homecooked food for a few meals a week, but not lately since I can't cook at the moment. They are doing well without it but I'm sure they miss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im sure they do miss mamas cooking Lisa, how is your hand doing? Anymore improvement?
I also home cook for our guys, but haven't done it for a couple of months, I should get back to it.
What recipe do you use?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
For Usko I give flaxseed and Camelina groats, Multidog Multivitamin, probiotics, MSM, Glucosamine, Gout Care and occasionally fish oil.
Voitto gets flaxseed and Camelina groats, probiotics, Canine Joint Care (with MSM, Glucosamine and Chondroitin) and fish oil.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
These are great supplements Julie, I haven't thought about using flaxseed. I know it's a great source of Omegas, but how is it for poops? being that it is fibre I was wondering if it would cause them to poop more or to make it too soft?

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Charley is on Nupro (gold) Vitamin supplement that he gets as a gravy on his evening meal; he loves it and we've noticed dramatic improvement in his skin and coat! He was on pumpkin for a while, but we recently stopped adding it to his morning once we got him on the Nupro. I like the yogurt idea for the morning though, I may start doing that as well!

I hadn't seen this supplement before, and it caught my eye. I give Nuvet. But for some reason, if I give it daily, I notice an increase of shedding. I notice it has chicken, which Ace didn't do well on chicken based kibble. I might give this a try.

Feb 17, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley
I hadn't seen this supplement before, and it caught my eye. I give Nuvet. But for some reason, if I give it daily, I notice an increase of shedding. I notice it has chicken, which Ace didn't do well on chicken based kibble. I might give this a try.

Interesting about the shedding; I notice Charley has been shedding more, but I assumed it was related to seasonal change. I would give it a shot; we are really pleased the results. Charley won a month supply of Nuvet this month, so I'll be able to compare the two and which we like more! Good luck.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online