Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FAQ: Do you give your bullies supplements? If so, what do you give and how often?

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: FAQ: Do you give your bullies supplements? If so, what do you give and how often?

These are great supplements Julie, I haven't thought about using flaxseed. I know it's a great source of Omegas, but how is it for poops? being that it is fibre I was wondering if it would cause them to poop more or to make it too soft?
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member AceTheBathound's Avatar
    Real Name
    Eric
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ACE (The Bathound)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: FAQ: Do you give your bullies supplements? If so, what do you give and how often?

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Charley View Post
    Charley is on Nupro (gold) Vitamin supplement that he gets as a gravy on his evening meal; he loves it and we've noticed dramatic improvement in his skin and coat! He was on pumpkin for a while, but we recently stopped adding it to his morning once we got him on the Nupro. I like the yogurt idea for the morning though, I may start doing that as well!
    I hadn't seen this supplement before, and it caught my eye. I give Nuvet. But for some reason, if I give it daily, I notice an increase of shedding. I notice it has chicken, which Ace didn't do well on chicken based kibble. I might give this a try.
    Ace! Come here boy...
    Ace just stares

3. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Charley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AceTheBathound View Post
    I hadn't seen this supplement before, and it caught my eye. I give Nuvet. But for some reason, if I give it daily, I notice an increase of shedding. I notice it has chicken, which Ace didn't do well on chicken based kibble. I might give this a try.
    Interesting about the shedding; I notice Charley has been shedding more, but I assumed it was related to seasonal change. I would give it a shot; we are really pleased the results. Charley won a month supply of Nuvet this month, so I'll be able to compare the two and which we like more! Good luck.

5. Likes bullmama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Seamus
    Likes (Received)

Giving Blue Wilderness chicken supplemented with 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil 1x daily, 400 mg glucosamine/chondroitin tab and 1000 mg ester- C. Thinking of adding Omega 3. Given that Blu has glucosamine and Omega 3,6, and 9, do you think all of these supplements are necessary for healthy 2 year old with good stools? Shedding is out of control, so i thought the additional omega 3 would help. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
    Giving Blue Wilderness chicken supplemented with 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil 1x daily, 400 mg glucosamine/chondroitin tab and 1000 mg ester- C. Thinking of adding Omega 3. Given that Blu has glucosamine and Omega 3,6, and 9, do you think all of these supplements are necessary for healthy 2 year old with good stools? Shedding is out of control, so i thought the additional omega 3 would help. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Hi, the shedding may be caused by seasonal changes, but it could also be caused by allergies as well. You mention that you are currently feeding Blue Wilderness, which is a chicken based kibble. Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken and grains. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, beef and grains and my male Bulldozer was never allergic to anything until last year, when he developed an allergy to beef after being on the same food for 2 years. He started showing signs of allergies like excessive licking of his paws, yeasty ears, goopy eyes, and excessive shedding, his hair was coming off in clumps. I switched their food to Fromms Lamb and Lentil, and they have been on this food for almost a year with good results. You are already giving great supplements with glucosamine and chondroitin, and these are great for the joints and bones, you are adding oil, although I haven't heard about vegetable oil, only salmon oil, cod liver oil, olive oil, and coconut oils. I wouldn't add any more oils as you are already giving one source. We give our guys 1 Tbsp of coconut oil in their evening kibble, along with kelp, which contains every vitamin your dog will need. We also add 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday, but you can also add it to the evening kibble instead. There are many health benefits to ACV, such as it is a natural anti inflammatory, which is good for joints and bones and also good for hair and coat, plus it is a natural anti bacterial and anti fungal, which kills the bad bacteria in the body, so it boosts the immune system, as well as it balances the Ph levels of the blood. We also add 2 Tbsps of plain unsweetened yogurt to the morning kibble which is a good source of Probiotics which aids in digestion, and also boosts the immune system as well.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

I Give Elmo Boy NuVet Plus, Coconut Oil and Yogurt.

Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Izzy gets:

AM: 2 pumps of Salmon oil with her kibble and 1 tbs of Greek Yogurt. 1 Rymadil covered in Peanut Butter (thats her anti imflammatory medication for her knee) and 1 multivitamin. Sometimes I will switch it up and give the coconut oil - which she loves! I make fun of her and say she will make love to her bowl when I give coconut oil because she will keep licking the bowl for hours after she is done eating! It's kind of cute to watch! But since I bought a huge container of Salmon Oil we are sticking to that for now.

PM: Mainly kibble - no toppings. I guess all the fun happens in the morning!

My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    us
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
    Likes (Received)

I use all of these daily

NuVet Plus
    Turmeric w/a dab of coconut oil to aid in digestion - I use for it's anti-cancer properties plus it's an anti-inflammatory!
    Glucosamine & Chondroitin (I use it as a preventative starting at 4yr of age in all my bullies) None have ever had hip or joint issues. One is 8 and the other passed at almost 12!
    Vit E (b/c fish oil depletes this vitamin in the body)
    Raw fermented fish stock by Answers Pet Food - supposedly it is better than fish oil
    Raw fermented goats milk by Answers Pet Food - use for it's digestive enzymes and probiotics
    Happiness is looking at your dogs face...and forgetting all your problems

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chase
    Likes (Received)

Our bulldog is turning 6 in November and just this year we have started him on the chewable Glucosamine and Chrondroitin for his joints. He started getting funny with a limp if he lays down too long, but since we have had him on his supplements, he has been good! Thanks for the tips! We will try giving him some of the plain yogurt and coconut oil into his food to see how he does with it

Michelle & Wesley

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads