FAQ: Does your bulldog have tear stains?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
3 questions! One for everybody!

Does your bulldog have tear stains?

If not, have they ever had tear stains?

If they did, how did you get rid of them?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks is now 9 yrs old... no tear stains to be had! However, when she was 1 - 2 yrs old, they were HORRIBLE... why wrong food and she was allergic to chicken. We did not know it so once we identified the allergy, changed her to Fromm Beef Fritatta, the stains were gone!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Never any visible tear stains, as Castor's fur is dark under the eyes, but his tears were dark and rusty-coloured until we changed from kibble to raw.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My boys don't have them, but occasionally if their wrinkles look that they're getting moist I usually clean with Witch Hazel and put some Desitin on top. That works for my boys.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Yes, Leo had them when I got him. The stains were bad. I cleared them up with Angel Eyes in two weeks. He has never had them since. Lola never had them.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Yes. Orion has had a yeasty face for most of her life. Tear stains, ruddy face and ruddy paws. We switched her to Beef Frittata, didn't work. The only time it would clear up was when she was on antibiotics. Until we started giving her twice daily Greek yogurt. Now she is tear stain free, white faced and white pawed.

328365_2348258582300_1901067436_o.jpgIMG_9533 ORion before.jpgIMG_0376 orion.jpgIMG_1779.jpg

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea has had them in the past and with her they were all food related so we just avoid the foods that cause them.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Yes Ftse has had tear stains diet related and at the moment he has a few and we have started a new food so we will see how it goes.

H

HoldenIron

Nope, Abraham has never had them. We try to keep his rope and wrinkles clean with wipes once a day but no tear stains yet.

jrm4810

Jun 16, 2013
Ocean County NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Tubs has had them but I cleared them up using Mal-A-Ket wipes available on Amazon and them corm starch in the folds everyday his face is beautiful

BabyFarrahsmommy

Sep 28, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Farrah
Farrah has very bad tear stains. They go from her eye all the way down to her mouth. I've tried coconut oil, as the breeder suggested and I bought wrinkle paste by squish face, has not helped at all...
I've read about baby powder, corn starch and witch hazel concoctions, milk of magnesia even? I don't want to sting her eyes or hurt her in any way.
I'm going to try some of the suggestions I just read here, and I'm curious if teething has anything to do with it?? (I read somewhere that until they're done teething nothing will help tear stains, is this true??) She's still a puppy, almost 6 months old.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Farrah has very bad tear stains. They go from her eye all the way down to her mouth. I've tried coconut oil, as the breeder suggested and I bought wrinkle paste by squish face, has not helped at all...
I've read about baby powder, corn starch and witch hazel concoctions, milk of magnesia even? I don't want to sting her eyes or hurt her in any way.
I'm going to try some of the suggestions I just read here, and I'm curious if teething has anything to do with it?? (I read somewhere that until they're done teething nothing will help tear stains, is this true??) She's still a puppy, almost 6 months old.

It could be a variety if issues causing the tear stains. You can try a stainless steel bowl and filtered water if you are not already. It could also be caused by food. In Louie's instance, it is caused because his lower lids roll in just enough to cause the tear ducts to block and thus he is constantly tearing.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We've seen that it changing food can make a difference. When Castor was young, we had some kibble that caused dark-coloured tears and then we turned to raw (as I say in an old post above!). After a while he was back on kibble, but another kind and everything was fine until a year or so ago. The I think it was his salmon oil that caused dark tears. So we switched to another oil (Nutrolin) and things are much better. Now, dogs are different, but in Castor's case, if this was food-related, it seems like beef and salmon were the culprits. Now he eats game and gets veggie oil and his tears are no longer dark.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have been very lucky with mine, as they have not had tear stains.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
As soon as I put Duke n Jake on raw, stains simply disappeared. I still clean them with fragrance free baby wipes but you absolutely need to dry the folds really good. Jake is all white but days it can turn very light pink cause Nyala keeps licking the poor guy’s face like there was no tomorrow. It tends to stay moist. But yes, I find it’s what you’re feeding your dogs. Probiotics = good immune system. Get some smelly green tripe as a snack. It will help!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.