FAQ: Pet Insurance?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We have had our bulldog insured since we brought him home. It is still quite expensive though. It costs us $90 a month and that is with a $100 deductible. We have barely used it because it doesn't cover general things - But when he has had the odd ear infection, they will cover the medication and visit (When we didn't have the deductible because it usually is only about $100. Honestly, I find right now it isn't worth it, but because our bullie is turning 6 in November, I won't cancel it. Our insurance company covers even hip dysplasia. We are with Trupanion. I hope this helps!

https://trupanion.com/canada/ppc/homepage?gclid=CM7dwaSK78YCFQiTaQod2y4K7Q

Michelle & Wesley

I just got a quote from them. Nyala is 4 months old. So it was $200 deductible, $105 a month. Might as well set aside the money myself and if the day comes its sitting in the bank. Your deal is better. Go figure. :)

Bent9

Aug 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bent
This is a tough one..we considered health insurance for Bent as well. Keep in mind, this is our 1st English Bull Dog. From our discussions with other pet owners, EBD owners etc...we obviously chose a breed that is notorious for health problems. So after all the debate, we elected not to get the insurance for the following reasons:

1. Breed Lineage - we were able to trace Bent's lineage and parents several generations back and feel confident that some of the more difficult traits would not exist wit him. He comes from a champion line and has good genes. VERY IMPORTANT start with a good slate and you'll be less prone to health problems.

2. We are devout owners and have educated ourselves immensely on preventative maintenance, such as cleanliness, habits, reactions etc...

3. The amount of money spent mthly on insurance really was equivalent (for us at least) to a savings account. We were neither ahead or behind.

4. We were not certain if serious conditions such as cancer, tail amputation etc. would be covered anyways.

At least these were our opinions or ideas at the time, this may change over the next time. Bent is only 3 at the moment.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
My Trupanion started at $40 and change per month with a very low deductible. After 3 ACL surgeries we pay $63.63 per month with a $350 deductible. I even considered putting money aside instead for now.... but really debating on that possibility. Izzy been insured since she was 8 weeks old.

I agree with you about just making a savings account, specially if your puppy is older and comes from a good genetic pool.

This is a tough one..we considered health insurance for Bent as well. Keep in mind, this is our 1st English Bull Dog. From our discussions with other pet owners, EBD owners etc...we obviously chose a breed that is notorious for health problems. So after all the debate, we elected not to get the insurance for the following reasons:

1. Breed Lineage - we were able to trace Bent's lineage and parents several generations back and feel confident that some of the more difficult traits would not exist wit him. He comes from a champion line and has good genes. VERY IMPORTANT start with a good slate and you'll be less prone to health problems.

2. We are devout owners and have educated ourselves immensely on preventative maintenance, such as cleanliness, habits, reactions etc...

3. The amount of money spent mthly on insurance really was equivalent (for us at least) to a savings account. We were neither ahead or behind.

4. We were not certain if serious conditions such as cancer, tail amputation etc. would be covered anyways.

At least these were our opinions or ideas at the time, this may change over the next time. Bent is only 3 at the moment.

Boborgemia

Jul 31, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I didn't hear any pet insurance at all. I hope there is.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I didn't hear any pet insurance at all. I hope there is.

I have a credit card just if something major would happen for my 2 pups. I call it my doggy card and I put money on the side which I'll use before the credit card. I looked up these insurance companies when i got Duke a few months ago and these insurances for our pets has sky rocket especially the deductible so you're better putting money aside if you do the math. You got to be consistent putting the money aside.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I have pet insurance for both Jax and Louie and boy, am I glad I do! Jax just had surgery to repair a herniated disc in his deck and after all was said and done, I paid almost $9,000 and after $250 deductible which I actually met right before the surgery, I got 90% back. Knowing I had the insurance I didn't have to question at all whether or not to go forward with the surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbourque314

Jun 25, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lincoln
Lincoln is covered through PetPlan and always will be. He had distichiasis surgery about a month ago totaling $2400 and they paid 90% of it.

MagnusAndMatilda

Dec 24, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda
I would highly recommend it. My English had several scenarios where it more than made it worth while. My Frenchie got attacked and the other dog bit into his eye. Emergency surgery saved his eye at the cost of 8k. Insurance paid almost 5k. The other 3k will be collected by the offenders owner.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Has anyone used Nationwide? I'm researching plans now!

I do. I have the whole pet with wellness for my Frenchie and major medical for Louie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbourque314

Jun 25, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lincoln
I've been on PetPlan since Lincoln was born. They have covered everything that he has needed (minus shots) so far. Highly recommend!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
What do you use for red chin

If your dog has a white face/chin it’s normal for it to be red. The pigmentation of white face dogs are more sensitive. Unless it has rashes or acne. White faces needs to be cleaned daily n especially keep it dried all times. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.