FAQ: How much Benadryl can you give your bully?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How much benadryl can you give your bully when he needs it?

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
HI,
It depends on the dogs weight. I give either one or two and my dogs weigh 50-60 pounds. If it is really bad allergies, I will give two to kick start and then down to one twice a day.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks gets 2 2x a day, but when real bad... I will do 3x a day

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
1mg per pound of body weight.

Also, never use benedryl with any other medicine in it. Must be just plain benedryl. They come in 25mg tablets or capsules.

Also, if your bulldog weighs 50 pounds and you only give him one tablet, it will simply do no good.

I have read you can give up to three times a day, but I personally stick with twice a day.

They can become very drowsy and loopy when on benedryl.

Lastly, I notice it really doesn't help much with just one dose. So if your bulldog has an attack of the itchies, and you give them their first dose, and it doesn't help, don't give up. Continue giving at least daily to see any results.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I usually start Wally out w/one, but he only weights 45lbs… if he's really bad I will give him 2 pills.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Chumley eats a handful and sleeps for 3 days straight...
(just kidding of course.)

he sleeps 2 days straight.

Tuneybuster

Oct 7, 2014
I think it's best to check with your Vet for proper dosage.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
It is 1mg per pound. It is important to check with your vet especially if you are giving other medications. They also come in handy ODT strips which is AWESOME in case of an emergency. Currently I toss 2 tablets onto Orion's breakfast and dinner. Sometimes she spits them out. In case of an emergency, having the ODT strips is important. We keep these on hand in case of a bee sting or another allergic reaction.

H

HoldenIron

I have only had to give it to Abraham once so far. I gave him the children's liquid Benadryl. 1 mg per pound of body weight. Slept like a baby all evening and all night. No one else seems to be using liquid....is that a No No or something?

Last edited:

mo4xdamomma

Jan 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlee
I have only had to give it to Abraham once so far. I gave him the children's liquid Benadryl. 1 mg per pound of body weight. Slept like a baby all evening and all night. No one else seems to be using liquid....is that a No No or something?
my dog won't take liquid or caplets so I gave her a fast melt Benadryl. Not sure if that's ok either but she got relief

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i buy generic 50mg/pill benedryls for myself, so Lola, when necessary, gets 1 pill (50mg) twice a day. Rarely she needs it though, as she's on a low dose of the steroids :)

WhitneyBlanche

Mar 3, 2015
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
I've begun giving my Ollie Benadryl daily as she's been having some skin issues.
I don't want her to be exhausted all day- so I've been giving them to her at night before her bed time. I figure that way she will get the sleepy effects while she's going to be sleeping anyway. Is this ok or do you think it won't be as effective? I suspect the allergy is grass or bug related so if she's getting it at night will it still protect her during the day when she is spending time outside?
Ollie is 35 pounds so I've been giving her 1 x 25 mg tablet a day.

MichelleDavis

Jul 22, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chase
We have depended on Benadryl quite a few times over the years when our bullie gets into things he shouldn't. He's 55 pounds and we usually only give him 1 unless it's bad - Then he gets 2. He's been good with both, of course just sleeps a lot more than normal :)

Michelle & Wesley

FANNYSMAMA

Sep 21, 2015
ID
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fannie Mae
Is Benadryl given only for itching??? My girl (3 years old, and I've had her just over a week) is having breathing problems, and I really think that it's due to allergies. I've tried asking the breeder that I got her from for more information, but I can't get a response. Please help. I'm so worried about her as she's so phlemmy and having a tough time.

Members online

No members online now.