FAQ: What kind of shampoo do you use on your bulldog?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I just got my puppy a week ago and was told to only use the blue Dawn liquid soap. Anyone else use that?

I have actually read that is not a good idea to use it:

Why Dish Detergent May Not be Safe for Dogs
The reason Dawn is used on birds after an oil spill is because they need to quickly remove the oil from their bodies so that they can then start treating the damage done to their skin. The reason Dawn is used in the skunk smell remover is that a skunk's spray has an oily consistency that clings to a dog's coat and skin – Dawn breaks it up, helping us to remove the majority of the spray quickly.

The common denominator is that dish detergent can be very harsh; it has to be to get the job done. And for some dogs, it may be too harsh for regular bathing. With regular use, you may see your dog's skin become irritated and dry.

jsygrls

Jul 17, 2020
Port Orange Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Charles Barkley aka "Bubba"
I use CHI oatmeal shampoo, it works well his coat looks great. I only bathe him once every 5 weeks or so , trying to avoid skin issues, baby wipes during in between times.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I have actually read that is not a good idea to use it:

Why Dish Detergent May Not be Safe for Dogs
The reason Dawn is used on birds after an oil spill is because they need to quickly remove the oil from their bodies so that they can then start treating the damage done to their skin. The reason Dawn is used in the skunk smell remover is that a skunk's spray has an oily consistency that clings to a dog's coat and skin – Dawn breaks it up, helping us to remove the majority of the spray quickly.

The common denominator is that dish detergent can be very harsh; it has to be to get the job done. And for some dogs, it may be too harsh for regular bathing. With regular use, you may see your dog's skin become irritated and dry.

This is true except for one thing:

- "Regular bathing" is different for different pawrents. Some bathe their dogs daily (dirty or not), some weekly, some bathe their dogs 4x a year, some only bathe their dogs when they get dirty and stinky. Therefore, the blanket claim that Dawn is not Safe for Dogs is not correct. It is safe for dogs. But it strips their natural oils so they need time to replenish it before doing so again. If a human can handwash their dishes every single day without much concern for their hands, a weekly dog bath with Dawn would also not be a concern, especially if the dog is healthy and on a well balanced diet.

But... in the same sense that we don't typically use Dawn to take a daily bath - because we're just not too dirty to justify the stripping power of Dawn - there are better dog products out there that is better for the regular dog bath that doesn't require the stripping power of Dawn.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Dawn contains methylisothiazolinone. It’s toxic... Does a great job removing any smelly n grim though. I personally use Dr Bronners. Their peppermint will also strip dirt n grim just like dawn. (Not for dishes)

https://www.practiganic.com/2014/05/dish-soaps-good-bad-and-toxic.html

Btw.. no need to wash your dog every day or weekly or monthly. I make my own essential oil mix and use that instead for their smell but mostly for a healthy skin.

Diesel1

Jun 3, 2021
Long Island, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Can anyone explain the reason for the diluted ACV rinse? Between my wife swigging the stuff straight and whatever with her oils etc...... and now hearing everything that some of you folks are doing with it, it's seems like it's the best thing since sliced bread. What exactly do it do for a rinse? I already gag from the smell of that shhhhhhtuff.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.