FAQ: How did you survive puppy teething phase?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
FAQ: How did you survive puppy teething?
Also known as the shark phase! Please give any tips, tricks and advice you have for new puppy owners!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mandals0810

Aug 27, 2014
Mississippi
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sassy
Sassy is still teething.... have them several toys to chew on! Sassy has never chewed on anything inappropriate, always the toys we provide for her :D

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
It was only supposed to be a phase? Crap. I'm in trouble. They are now 7 and 5 years old. :bang:

JDLaing

Sep 25, 2014
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
When I had a bulldog 25 years ago he ate everything. Chairs, tables, doors, window sills, wicker baskets, and the occasional shoe.
Now that I have Mack he doesn't touch a thing. A real culture shock for me.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Constantly saying "no bite" putting a nylabone in their mouth and saying "here, bite THIS". But since I had other dogs-they mostly played and bit the other dogs instead of me!
If things were quiet, always checking to see what they were up to. Crating them when I left the house. Never leaving shoes or anything I valued where they could chew it.
Being very vigilant at checking on them.

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
I'm still working on that, lol. My arms, hands, legs & ankles are pretty beat up. I'm just not fast enough, my hubby is though. #superjealous
We have several chew toys for Chubbs but that doesn't seem to matter. :(

H

HoldenIron

Abraham is only 6 months so we still have a little ways to go yet but so far he hasn't been destructive. He chews his KONG and likes to chew on us some when we pet him but all in all it hasn't been to bad. Kinda feel sorry for the little guy cause I know he is hurting. My wife will freeze him a wet wash cloth sometimes and give it to him to chew so as to numb his sore gums some and give him a little relief.

Vinny Duong

Oct 20, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Patrick
Patrick is 3months and he goes through phases where he's dead set on biting my hands or pant legs. Nothing can stop him even his favorite bully stick. Hope this phase goes by quick

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
it will go away, grabbing them by both sides of the cheek and make sure you get eye contact and stating clearly "no bite" like Lynn said really is the trick. Growling and crying when they do it helps too. You need to make them understand you are the leader of the pack and they have to listen to you.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I also taught no bite, plus a ton of redirecting with toys, and when that didn't work- Bitter Apple all over my hands and feet.

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Lots of chew toys....and things they are allowed to bite and chew on.....and lots of redirection. Also, band-aids for the shark-phase.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
We just put our Nikes on and we ran for our lives!!

I remember one time a friend called me while I was playing with Goob in the backyard. All of a sudden I felt his jaws sink into my calf! I was partly laughing/ partly crying with what happened. I still have two vampire scars on my calf as proof. We also have videos of Goob trying to nip our shoes, pants, and legs. I would forget that we were raising a hammerhead shark and wear flip flops...yikes! Big mistake!

He STILL shark attacks us at times and he is 3 years old. Not as often as he used to but we just have toys close by to stick in his mouth.

I guess I don't have much advice other than...if you can't outrun them, take it like a man! ha!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Lots of redirects and patience. With a few bloody fingers and hands along the way. Now she only get mouthy with us from a short distance which is funny to see when she does it. Oh and she has her fur sister Aria to chew on as well.

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
Sorry about such boring idea, but how about a wood stick for a chewy toy? :)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@yulia Blue is a very hard chewer, too easy to break off and choke. Especially once it get wet from their drool.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.