FAQ: How did you survive puppy teething phase?

Wilhelm

Jan 24, 2018
Arizona
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Winnie
I have two Bullies- same litter- one is gentle and rarely ever chews on me, while the other one looks like Bruce from Jaws. Not sure how they could be so different but they are. At six months the teething and chewing has not abated, but seems to be getting worse, as she now chews everyone and not just her sister. Funny thing is that the only one immune from their actions is my ten year old Cairn Terrier. He just looks at them and they just give him a sniff and walk with him around the yard. We have tried chew toys (ropes mainly) and she seems to enjoy flesh more. Other than stern "talks" - what has worked best? She has severe allergies and treats are a real hit or miss for positive reinforcement at this point. I have read the posts, but am still at a quandary. Thank you for any assistance. :help1:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have two Bullies- same litter- one is gentle and rarely ever chews on me, while the other one looks like Bruce from Jaws. Not sure how they could be so different but they are. At six months the teething and chewing has not abated, but seems to be getting worse, as she now chews everyone and not just her sister. Funny thing is that the only one immune from their actions is my ten year old Cairn Terrier. He just looks at them and they just give him a sniff and walk with him around the yard. We have tried chew toys (ropes mainly) and she seems to enjoy flesh more. Other than stern "talks" - what has worked best? She has severe allergies and treats are a real hit or miss for positive reinforcement at this point. I have read the posts, but am still at a quandary. Thank you for any assistance. :help1:

Have you been using the training technique.. 'nothing in life is free' ? That may help some

What allergies, do you know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilhelm

Jan 24, 2018
Arizona
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Winnie
Have you been using the training technique.. 'nothing in life is free' ? That may help some

What allergies, do you know?

The allergies are dog food based (initially we thought that maybe it was a grass based allergy)- we have gone through several brands and are now on a vet based high protein dog food (name alludes me at the moment). Bella would break out on her tummy, as well as starting hives along her legs. So far the new food works, but she is also in an anti-histamine twice daily... So treats become a hit or miss, presently i am trying carrots (natural and something to chew)- as to the bitter apple spray mentioned by another person- my Westie used to love that stuff- would keep licking the areas that i sprayed and then keep on chewing. Hopefully the Bullies will not favour that taste. I will try it after ruling out allergic responses to it. thank you,

Wilhelm

Jan 24, 2018
Arizona
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Winnie
oh, i forgot- we are taking both pups to a training school for basic obedience, so i will address training at that point concerning the biting/chewing.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The allergies are dog food based (initially we thought that maybe it was a grass based allergy)- we have gone through several brands and are now on a vet based high protein dog food (name alludes me at the moment). Bella would break out on her tummy, as well as starting hives along her legs. So far the new food works, but she is also in an anti-histamine twice daily... So treats become a hit or miss, presently i am trying carrots (natural and something to chew)- as to the bitter apple spray mentioned by another person- my Westie used to love that stuff- would keep licking the areas that i sprayed and then keep on chewing. Hopefully the Bullies will not favour that taste. I will try it after ruling out allergic responses to it. thank you,

Vet food is fine for a short term 'fix', but most vets (not knocking them) know nothing about nutrition... they don't have the time to study it so they just sell and push what the big companies ask them too sell.

Look into some of these;
raw is the best you can feed
The Honest Kitchen - dehydrated raw is second best
Kibbles would be -- Orijen, Fromm, Acana, Earthborn Holistic, Zingnature

Zue10

Mar 24, 2018
Florida
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Zeus is 5 months old and still teething, so far what has worked for us is giving him three toys at a time and changing them when he is bored with them. Also saying ouch loud and walking away from him as well as keeping him confined to a playpen.

MindyD

Apr 7, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophia
A Shark Phase???!! Are ya guys kidding me right now???? We call Sophie a zombie bully bc she is constantly eating our flesh. Granted she's only 4 months old...BUT 3 YEARS and a Shark Phase?? Oh my.....

KathyandArgo

Oct 21, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Argo
I'm still working on that, lol. My arms, hands, legs & ankles are pretty beat up. I'm just not fast enough, my hubby is though. #superjealous
We have several chew toys for Chubbs but that doesn't seem to matter. :(

LOL no kidding - same with my husband, he gets kisses I get sneak attacks lol. Working on the "NO" and nylabone mentioned above - wish me luck..... from the Human Chewtoy/Pincushion :)

MindyD

Apr 7, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophia
Not only their biting, but their lack of personal boundaries..lol Sophia walks all over me, to the point that I woke up one morning with what looked like finger bruises up and down my arms! It looked like my husband abused me in his sleep until we realized it's paw prints, not finger prints!! Ugh LOL!

JEFFB1062

Apr 29, 2019
North Carolina
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maxie
so Maxie (9.5 weeks) is chewing my shoes while they're on my feet,hands fingers.WE have a ton of toys we can get her attention to them for a little bit but right back to the fore mention body parts...hope it's only a phase the wife and I are getting bit up...2 kids wasn't this hard to raise but we were 31 years younger too

BulldogMomma1216

May 13, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Riley
We have an almost 5 month old boy. Saying "no bite" has not seemed to phase him. He has a weird obsession with our carpet and loves flipping it over.

Shoes have been exiled to the basement. We no longer can have nice things lmao

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
so Maxie (9.5 weeks) is chewing my shoes while they're on my feet,hands fingers.WE have a ton of toys we can get her attention to them for a little bit but right back to the fore mention body parts...hope it's only a phase the wife and I are getting bit up...2 kids wasn't this hard to raise but we were 31 years younger too

Stay diligent with redirects.. it takes tome and patience but he will get it

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
We have an almost 5 month old boy. Saying "no bite" has not seemed to phase him. He has a weird obsession with our carpet and loves flipping it over.

Shoes have been exiled to the basement. We no longer can have nice things lmao[/QU

My pups were obsessed with my shoes/shoe laces. They had every nylabone I could buy, and I bought them a cheap pair of little kid's tennies, so they would have a pair I could give them, when they latched on to mine! I would say "no bite, here, bite this!" Redirect over and over. Keep at it, once they learn(and get second teeth) things will be better!(it all depends on you!) [MENTION=19015]BulldogMomma1216[/MENTION]

BabyFarrahsmommy

Sep 28, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Farrah
Farrah is 13 weeks old. She is a dirty biter. Just seems to really want to chew on and bite me, her mom. If I say no, touch her, anything to redirect her she comes after me with teeth growling and angry. I have to walk or run away. My hands and feet will be forever scarred. My husband, all the men in the neighborhood in fact, even if it's the first time they meet her, get a paw in the air then she rolls over for them and just lays there. I've fallen so many times because she's got my ankle, a pant leg, a toe.....
I have bought every kind of chewing apparatus I can find. She has empty water bottles, kids toys, you name it..... Her favorite one is a large plastic dinosaur, I don't even try to get it from her anymore.
I just tried ice cubes, we have a winner!!!! I'm so thankful for the suggestion!!
She loves it! Even went to the freezer and asked for one. Such a smart girl. I've ordered a freezer chew toy, should be here tomorrow. I hope she likes it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.