FAQ: How did you survive puppy teething phase?

ShiningDiadem

Apr 17, 2015
Florida
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Capone
Patrick is 3months and he goes through phases where he's dead set on biting my hands or pant legs. Nothing can stop him even his favorite bully stick. Hope this phase goes by quick

Capone turned 3 months today and he is set on grabbing my pant legs as well or anything that is moving (shoes). I have the hardest time walking without tripping over him. He has been really snappy lately at my hands and I don't know how to break that habit. It's starting to get worse now that his jaws are getting stronger. I didn't mind so much when he was younger.

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
Capone turned 3 months today and he is set on grabbing my pant legs as well or anything that is moving (shoes). I have the hardest time walking without tripping over him. He has been really snappy lately at my hands and I don't know how to break that habit. It's starting to get worse now that his jaws are getting stronger. I didn't mind so much when he was younger.

It will get better, I promise! At 3 months Effie was a terror. Our arms looked like we were attacked by rabid vampires or something. She turns 18 weeks this weekend, and it has finally started to slow down. She's still very nippy- I have to warn strangers and children. Most of the time she wants to give kisses, but you have a 50/50 shot that she could also be trying to eat you LOL. Effie used to love grabbing my pants legs. I would stop walking, remove her teeth from my jeans, and stick a nylabone in her mouth. She still loves shoes- we have to keep them put up. We tried using a water bottle at one point too...but I think she actually liked it. She's a weirdo. The only thing that seems to be working is redirection, and consistently showing her that we are the alpha. If she's on my lap and goes to bite me, I tell her no firmly, put her on the ground, and then ignore her for about 30 seconds. Then I let her back up. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Eventually she figures out that if she bites then she goes on the floor. It's a lot of work and repetition. It gets worse before it gets better (like you said, they start growing and those jaws get stronger- and more painful!)...they're very stubborn. But keeping working, and I swear it will eventually slow down and fade away! That's what everyone told me. I didn't believe them. But, turns out- they were right!

ShiningDiadem

Apr 17, 2015
Florida
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Capone
Thanks for the encouragement [MENTION=14079]betterxthanxnew[/MENTION]! Capone likes the water bottle too (hilarious). I have redirected with his nylabone, kong, and rope. His toys will grab his attention for only a moment then it's back to what he really wants -- skin, lol. But I will hang in there and stay consistent. Pray :pray: for us, lol!!!

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
Thanks for the encouragement [MENTION=14079]betterxthanxnew[/MENTION]! Capone likes the water bottle too (hilarious). I have redirected with his nylabone, kong, and rope. His toys will grab his attention for only a moment then it's back to what he really wants -- skin, lol. But I will hang in there and stay consistent. Pray :pray: for us, lol!!!

LOL! Definitely praying for you! :ROFL:
We thought we had brought home a shark there for a while. Sometimes, there's nothing you can do besides just keep redirecting (even when it seems like it doesn't work!). When we get frustrated (or just need a break!) we give her bully sticks, or edible nylabones. Of course she has to be supervised while she's chowing down on those- but it did offer our poor arms a break! Also, we dampen washcloths and freeze them, she loves to chew on those! I imagine it feels good on her sore teething gums.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
How did we survive? Very easy........we downsized everything.....no shower curtains, we now have shower doors that side left and right. My girls eat curtains of every make and model........my girls treasure the taste of so many things (furniture, wood,,,,,we do love wood of any make or model, leather,,,,they just cannot contain themselves, water hoses,,,,,,,bring on their true love for water sports, cabnets, toys, magazines, toliet paper, laundry,,,,,both clean and dirty, shoes,,,,,,augh they just cannot live without those, plants have to be edible, baseboards etc) the list is endless and they continue to embark on their chewing exploits daily. The secret.......don't leave them alone unsupervised......ever!!! If you have to leave them unsupervised crate them until someone has eyes on them at all times. They will trick you and be good for a long time and gain your confidence to leave them out while you are away and you will come home to your house in shambles. HAHAHA!!!! Love them with all your heart, watch them with all your might, and enjoy them for life!! Good luck!

BustersOwner

May 3, 2015
Chicago Burbs
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Between Buster biting us and potty training only working when HE wants to do it, we keep warning him we are sending him back to his mommy. He just keeps on attacking us and our older dog. He wants to play with the older dog but he has an eye infection and hasn't been feeling well so he hasn't be in the area Buster is allowed to be free in. But when they cross paths Buster keeps on trying to get him to play. I think he takes out in his aggression on us.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Between Buster biting us and potty training only working when HE wants to do it, we keep warning him we are sending him back to his mommy. He just keeps on attacking us and our older dog. He wants to play with the older dog but he has an eye infection and hasn't been feeling well so he hasn't be in the area Buster is allowed to be free in. But when they cross paths Buster keeps on trying to get him to play. I think he takes out in his aggression on us.

Welcome to you & Buster :) Based on his picture (he's precious, btw) - he's still just a baby - and will grow out of it. The only thing is that you have to correct him each time, maybe with a firm "no bite" and start implementing training now. So it doesn't get worse as he gets older. He definitely is just playing, and doesn't mean it, but if you start correcting him, and rewarding him for good behavior - he'll catch on alot faster :)

BustersOwner

May 3, 2015
Chicago Burbs
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Welcome to you & Buster :) Based on his picture (he's precious, btw) - he's still just a baby - and will grow out of it. The only thing is that you have to correct him each time, maybe with a firm "no bite" and start implementing training now. So it doesn't get worse as he gets older. He definitely is just playing, and doesn't mean it, but if you start correcting him, and rewarding him for good behavior - he'll catch on alot faster :)

I need a more recent picture as he just turns 18 weeks today. Lol
We always say "no bite" and we just started to stop playing if he continues to bite. The vet said he should be losing his puppy teeth soon. Will that usually help some?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I need a more recent picture as he just turns 18 weeks today. Lol
We always say "no bite" and we just started to stop playing if he continues to bite. The vet said he should be losing his puppy teeth soon. Will that usually help some?

Good! Keep on with the no bite, and ignoring - bullies are extremely stubborn so it will take a while for it to sink in, lol. I would love to say that it will help, but honestly probably not. You could try some nylabones, or antlers once he gets his big boy teeth in, so you can re-direct him when he's biting. Just make sure you always supervise them with anything, and get larger bones that they aren't able to swallow. Bullies are notorious for swallowing things, which can then cause an obstruction.

BustersOwner

May 3, 2015
Chicago Burbs
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Good! Keep on with the no bite, and ignoring - bullies are extremely stubborn so it will take a while for it to sink in, lol. I would love to say that it will help, but honestly probably not. You could try some nylabones, or antlers once he gets his big boy teeth in, so you can re-direct him when he's biting. Just make sure you always supervise them with anything, and get larger bones that they aren't able to swallow. Bullies are notorious for swallowing things, which can then cause an obstruction.

Lol, yeah I remember how my last bullie would eat a bone all the way down to the very end and I would have to fish out if his mouth. Haha, Man I Miss that little bastard!

jackip

Jun 16, 2015
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fudge
Our new boy Fudge is a chewer really bad. It was kind of shock to me since our boxer never ate anything except one pair of my flip flops and one window sill candle light thing. He had one accident with the corner of the white trim on the bottom of the wall, but after a stern punishment he never chewed anything ever again. Our new bullie tho - omg he will literally put everything in his mouth including my boxer lol. Everytime I try to pet him all he does is bite me LOL... its cute but kind of annoying.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
All my life I had dobermans and German Shepherds and it never fails you give the raw bones. Not the joints but the one that has bone marrow in it. They will never touch your furniture. I would freeze them. They chew on that for days n days. Works!

Chanelle13

Jan 8, 2016
Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Romulan & Roscoe
we tried evvvvvvvvvvverything- it was so frustrating.. But I think the thing that works the best is just be consistent.. pay attention and just keep putting a toy infront of him/her when they are biting.

spameggsandrice

Aug 14, 2017
Simpsonville, SC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brix
I was wondering about this too. He has been with us since Saturday. I think he is getting very comfortable in his new home. Just yesterday he started the shark attacking. With my youngest son, he will crouch down then do a flying lunge chomp thing. When I'm walking he'll bite at my ankles. We have chew toys and everything, but he really wants hands and feet. You hear a lot of "NO BITE" in our house right now.

sophiebell

Aug 2, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
sophiebell
I know how you feel!! My hands look like I have been picking briars!! Cuts all over them to the point of bleeding. She has toys but every time I try to give it to her she bites me instead of the toy.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.