FAQ: How did you survive puppy teething phase?

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
oh well, a raw bone then, perhaps? some bones (non-sharp ones, of course) are pretty darn hard. good for teeth, good for stomach/digestion, good nutrition-wise. Sounds like a good chewing toy :)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
oh well, a raw bone then, perhaps? some bones (non-sharp ones, of course) are pretty darn hard. good for teeth, good for stomach/digestion, good nutrition-wise. Sounds like a good chewing toy :)

yep, I give those soup bones- the huge beef bone marrow ones when I'm feeling adventurous and don't mind cleaning up..lol..

Antlers are also popular here. Elk, Moose, etc.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Winnie is our new puppy and she quit eating us alive about a month ago. It was an awful problem for me and my husband because we're old and have thin skin that tears easily--we both looked like burn victims or something!! We tried everything, re-direction didn't really work very well. Another bulldog owner told me that she used a spray bottle of water. You just squirt her in the face and say "no bite!" It doesn't hurt, just startles, and she didn't like it. The only drawback is that you don't always carry the bottle around with you. I would forget and put it down and she'd get me every time! It took a while, but after a bit I could just show her the bottle and she would quit biting. She did "talk back" just to let me know she didn't approve of being squirted. With a squirt bottle, you don't have to yell at them, and the bottle is squirting them when they bite, not you ;-). Another thing you can use is a soda can with some pennies taped inside. Give it a shake, and they are startled by the noise. Hang in there, I thought Winnie would never​ quit, but she doesn't bite at all now and is the most affectionate bulldog I've had (the others were not big biters)!

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Kevin was an Angel.. He never chewed on anything...

kevin-behave.jpg

He's just as well behaved now at 1 year old... :w00t:

Bambi

May 24, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Odin
We are finally just getting out of the shark phase - and i echo what everyone else has said, redirecting with a toy etc. but what we really found helpful was to Yelp like a puppy, and then leave the room for 10-30 seconds.. Odin learned pretty quick that biting would make us go away when what he really wanted was to be near us.

JenBrute

Dec 1, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Brutus is 5 months old and is now finally getting the hang of "No!". I absolutely love that you guys call it the "shark" phase because for Halloween this year I put him in a shark costume because he was such a monster at the time and all of my family understood and laughed the moment they saw him with the shiny silver fin on. Not too much worked for my guy. Re-direction was not working as he gets fixated on hands and feet. Yelping OUCH in a high pitched voice did not scare him nor stop him, it made him bite even harder. Basically the only thing that worked was for me to get him into the boot room (his play room) and put up the baby gate and let him howl/whine until he calmed down and then he could come out again. This happened at least 4-5 times a night for about 2 months. It was utterly exhausting and I felt like I was losing my mind! But it does get better. We also start puppy classes on Tuesday which I am very excited for!

USMCBulldog

Jan 24, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mochi
Lol so funny reading these posts as I am the proud new owner of a 2.5 month old English Bullshark. We are consistent with redirecting with chew toys but he does chomp a hand or foot here and there.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Kevin was an Angel.. He never chewed on anything...

kevin-behave.jpg

He's just as well behaved now at 1 year old... :w00t:

OMG... :rofl: :rofl: hysterical!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I saw this photo when originally posted! It is priceless! I don't know how [MENTION=3952]TheLost[/MENTION] does it-but he is in the right place at the right time with the camera(evidence):ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Lots of re-directing, frozen chew toys, and training basic commands like sit to get his mind off the teething.

When all that failed, there was always Bitter Apple. We sprayed it on our fingers- never failed.. he hated the stuff..lol

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
I saw this photo when originally posted! It is priceless! I don't know how @TheLost does it-but he is in the right place at the right time with the camera(evidence):ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Kevin is like a shadow... always underfoot. Due to me claiming him as 'My Dog' there are NUMEROUS times i don't take a picture because if there is proof he destroyed something... i'm somehow guilty by association! I just hide the evidence or blame Molley :)

Lots of re-directing, frozen chew toys, and training basic commands like sit to get his mind off the teething.

When all that failed, there was always Bitter Apple. We sprayed it on our fingers- never failed.. he hated the stuff..lol

+1 to the Bitter Apple. All of my wife's high heeled shoes are covered with the stuff... except the ones that have mysteriously vanished while Kevin was unsupervised-i-didnt-see-anything-not-my-fault. :whistle:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=3952]TheLost[/MENTION] Uh-oh Kevin is not into high heels is he? Better check the bottom of the toy box :pouting:

Seline Weiskopff

Mar 11, 2015
syracuse
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
molly
Well its nice to find out im not alone! Shark phase really makes sense. MOLLY is only 12weeks old so Im guessing I have a long road ahead. She has been getting better ive been getting her outside for longer waks seemz to burn the energy off lol

Maryjane

Jan 25, 2015
Country
No Permanent Address
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Ziggy
I have tons of bruises and a few cuts to show that i got a shark baby instead of a baby bully. Lol!!!

I am surviving puppy shark phase by tons of redirecting woth a chewtoy and lots of praises. It doesnt work all the time but i can see that he is getting the idea.

harpo029

Dec 1, 2014
Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubie
I guess we r lucky! Our Aubie has gotten a few charger cords and the bottom of the kitchen table chairs. But other than that he chews on his toys. He will try to chew our hands but we redirect him to other things. Also we will feed him ice. He LOVES it and it helps numb his mouth and make it feel better. We do kennel him with his toys at night and when we r gone from the house. But he has never touched a shoe and thank God has not chewed up cushions and furniture!! I would die!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.