FAQ: How far and how often do you walk your bulldog(s)?

newboulds

Nov 2, 2015
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Tia
Glad to hear that your bullies are strong minded too. I have a 18 week old "Tia" and she just sits on the pavement to tell me shes not going anywhere and we have a stand off until she has enough and eventually moves (our walk is only 5 mins but can take 30 mins to do). When we get to the park she loves it what she doesn't like is the getting there. She loves coming home she trots away.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It all depends on the heat, but usually Boris will only make it around the block. We will sometimes stop by at "The Bulldog" bar and get a drink as they give us a discount if we bring our little man with us :)

We use a standard collar with a bungee leash (max of 65lbs) to correct his pulling lately. He does fairly well when walking until someone slams a car door or he hears a skateboarder coming. We keep the walks pretty short to ensure we don't cause his HD to worsen faster.

View attachment 90362

View attachment 90363

Walks shouldn't cause his HD to worsen, in fact, he should be going on walks to strengthen the surrounding joint muscles which help with the HD. At least that's how my ortho vet explained it.
It's activities like jumping, things that are hard on the joints that need to kept to a minimal. But going on walks a few times a day is good for him.

Blue also has HD, and we do a mile every Saturday and and Sunday. Would love to do it every day but not gonna happen in the city.

eta; unless of course there's some reason your vets is against it.

Spants

Nov 6, 2015
Montana
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Sassy
Hi! I'm new here :)

Sassy LOVES walking. Her leash is her all time favorite toy- she picks it up, carries it around, and brings it to every new visitor when she greets them.

We walk 2-3 times a day probably about a 1/2 mile to a mile mostly. She also really enjoys hiking and going for longer walks. These are less frequent and only on cooler days. Also, I research the particular trail to be sure it follows a creek so she has access to water the whole time! Playing in creeks is one of her favorite things and since we live on a river she is very comfortable around water.

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Had walking problems in the beginning using a harness went to a trainer he recommended a slip lead (and till George got used to it some treats) he loves walking now. Usually 15 - 20 mins but he would walk forever now he loves it but as he's still a puppy we keep the walk short. He can be a little hyper after it though. As long as your dog has some playtime using their brain it seems that this is excercise enough for them in bad weather or excessively hot weather.

penguinspam

Feb 13, 2016
Poole, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty
We take Betty on a mile long walk first thing in the morning (about 25-30 minutes) and then again in the evening. She's quite a lean bulldog (everyone says she looks skinny when we're out and about, but the vet said she's at a healthy weight) and usually likes the exercise. Unless its raining, then she tries to drag me back to the house. We're quite lucky as her previous owner must have trained her well, she walks perfectly on a harness and is good off the lead as well.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Im like you Betty. Everyday we walk at the dog park. I do 2 rounds. Plus my son something comes to the house with his 2 pitbulls like today and Nyala gives them their money's worth for a pup. She just doesn't stop and goes after them or rams into them for a good hour outside. Hope she keeps this energy up as I love to walk n ride my bike. Would be fantastic if she follows. :)

Doc Barry or Barry Bob.

May 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsa is 2 1/2. Note: Bruiser left us at almost 14; Boss at almost 13 and Biggie at 10 1/2
We have 2 MALE BULLIES -One does not like to go outside before bedtime -even if we make him by dragging him outside he will not pee or poop. He doesn't make any mistakes and then goes outside right away in the morning. We have tried all of his favorite treats but when he doesn't want to go outside we must drag him - I hate doing it. Any ideas

Again, he goes outside for rides, first thing in the morning and he enjoys it but not later in the day etc

Hoosier

Dec 2, 2017
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
I’m laughing at the walk descriptions! Our last two dogs were mini schnauzers and one loved to walk while the other went just to be with her people. Our EB, Sherman, goes a block and is ready for a nap. It makes us laugh because he is so opposed to most activity!

7oniarc

May 9, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dinah
:LMAO: @ "You would think we were killing them" So true.

- - - Updated - - -

LOVE LOVE LOVE the name "Sherman"

Bottii12

Jul 9, 2018
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Boti
I started taking my pup when he was 3 mons for a walk around the block but just at night time bc texas weather in June-sept gets super super hot and humid so at night it kinda cools down so since then i been dping that now he is 7 mons and he loves to walk at night and run with my chihuahua see who wins which oc my chihuahua always wins him lol
During the day when i get off work i will take him out for like 10 min n go back in and he will actually would go in whenver he feels is to hot and i would no force him to stay any longer .

ChaosAndMayhem

Nov 30, 2019
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
Chaos is 3 months and she HATES walks. Now if I say walk or grab her leash she hides and sulks. We have given up. She loves to play (rope of course) inside. Outside is for doing her business and that’s it. If I walk her, we are lucky to get past the driveway and that’s with her being half dragged and moping behind me. I don’t know why we bother with a leash. To run away she’d have to be willing to run and actually go somewhere not being carried or in a car. Lol. She’ll do the minimal she has to do to poop and then come in for a nap. Girl is ridiculous. I asked the vet who laughed and said “these guys are more the cuddling type than the walking type.” I say, as she’s snoring beside me after an exhausting 10 foot walk from the car. ��

Mauidiver

Apr 7, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I take my 9 month old (Dozer) walking about 3/4 times a week during Texas winter for about a mile which takes 25 minutes. Would take him more but he drags his nails and I’m afraid he will walk them off to the quick if I take him anymore. At least I don’t have to try and cut his nails. Our old dog would not even let us touch his nails or he would turn into the hulk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
92823085_10158329809449726_8473617982747049984_o.jpgThis is our usual walk 2-5 times a week. Bullies, especially boys must walk at least 50% more since they don't walk in atraight line as I do:D The speed is actually much faster, but the boys stop every now and then to smell.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I see that I replied to this question when Castor was 1.5, and then his schedule looked like this: "Four times per day; three walks of 30-40 minutes plus a short walk before we go to bed". Now he has turned 7, and we take him out for walks three times per day, each one 20-60 minutes depending on what he wants and the weather (and those two variables are often related). He's odd these days; some days he can walk for an hour without problem but some days it's like he's nailed to the ground and he won't move. We hope he's not in pain but will let a vet look at him when times are better.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION], geez Nyala was a puppy lol..

———————-

Well I don’t go to dog parks as I stopped that like 4yrs ago. Nyala walks a good 4-5km but Jake is the new comer of last July. He lived on a farm so no walks. He now does 1km. I’ve started to stretch him to 1.5km. Where I live I try to walk as much as I can but our weather is either too cold or too cold or tooooooo tooooo cold or damm, freezing your a*s off.... lolll we try to walk daily which so far so good.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online