FAQ: How far and how often do you walk your bulldog(s)?

moosedt

Nov 21, 2013
southern california
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
Where I live it has a big park What I do is I walk her to the park and she loves to run so we walk for about 10 mins and run until she wants to stop which is about 10 mins sometimes more I take her on walk about 3 to 4 times a week. Sometimes or less depending on weather

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Farley Foo (8 1/2 yrs old) RIP My precious FarlyFoo 7/24/2017
[MENTION=12231]Goob14[/MENTION] I don't blame you for not fighting with Goob about a walk.. *lol* It's is so funny how these bullies can protest by not moving. They are so heavy to boot when they are dead weight. I have to bribe Farley with treats to go places out of his comfort zone.:cookie:

Last edited:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
We gave up on the walk. We're in this urban subdivision with concrete sidewalks... we go quarter mile out and we're carrying Bullie home - all 60 lbs of her. She lost some weight and she started to have more energy so we get to the quarter mile mark and she's good for the walk home... but then her paws get bloody...

Angus, on the other hand can walk all day long. A half-mile walk and he's looking at me like, "are you kidding me?"...

So, now, we don't bother with a walk. Instead, we play Frisbee in the backyard for at least an hour each day when the kids are in school, but closer to 3 hours each day when they're not in school because they usually have their friends over who take turns playing fetch with the dogs.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Goob was the same way when he was small. But, i would pick him up and walk him as far as i could so he was FORCED to walk home. Its like he got an energy boost in one direction (home) haha. If we didnt go the direction he wanted, he would lay down where ever he was...the middle of the street...a lawn...a driveway..ANYWHERE! I think the neighbors laughed when they saw me carrying a 40 pound bulldog after he laid down in a yard REFUSING to budge otherwise.

Now, a 65 pound Goob is not worth fighting...If he doesn't get passed the driveway...we aren't walking
These little stinkers!

OMG, this is Bella. She does NOT want to walk, unless she's walking toward a person, dog, or our home. I've also done the carry-away-from-home trick so that she has to walk back toward home, which she does at a good clip! It's ridiculous. I am willing to carry her now, since she's 10-15 pounds, but this cannot go on for too much longer. I've decided to just let her walk in my fenced-in backyard. It's better for both of us. lol!

She's so stubborn. Once she's decided she's done walking (usually right after she pees), she'll just sit down and make me pull her...which I cannot do! It's horrible.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If Bullies were horses-they would be called Barn Sour. When they don't want to leave.

MichelleDavis

Jul 22, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chase
We currently live in an apartment so when we de-poop him twice a day, he goes for a small walk. We just take him around the block, which is more than enough. In the summer, of course we go early in the morning and later in the evening when it is cooler and the walk is a lot slower, but he absolutely loves his walks! Just long enough for a stretch since he sleeps all day.

Michelle & Wesley

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Elmo hates to walk, he has a large deck to walk on in the summer, and the cooler months we let him outside in the fenced in yard which is 2 acres, but he comes right back into the house after about 5min. Elmo had rather be inside any day.

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Bentley loves his walks! He is horrible to play with in our backyard. I cannot get a toy away from him. Walking is a way to spend time outside. When we first adopted him I tried just around our street to find out what his limit was. We usually do 1 1/2 or 2 streets usually after dinner. Allergies have been so bad this summer that we haven't been keeping up on our walking schedule. I think we are both bummed.

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Great topic-Charlie loves to walk but we won't be winning any races any time soon. Twice daily.
My only concern is that I don't push him too far, weather permitting.
I'll bring him home and like others, he loses his mind so I think I need him to burn more energy.
He needs a neighborhood friend to wrestle with

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Chunky is just a pup but I walk him 3 times a day probably an 1/8th mile after meals when he lets me. Usually he goes fine when he isn't being stubborn by refusing to move past the garage door but, sometimes i have to carry him up the road and he walks back fine.

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
So funny to read all these stories :D so many of them sound like our Dudley. He gets two walks a day one morning one evening but if you were to see us walking him in woods I swear it looks like we are punishing him! He usually walks ten foot behind with a sulky face looking like he hardly has enough energy to barely move and only speeds up on the way home and then proceeds to dive into his toy box and bully me into playing :D

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Tilly would go where ever i go she would never stop ( Taught Me to carry water and a bowl every where ) Diva would follow but would do the flop and did not matter where either , hot cold warm cool water no water middle of the road or sidewalk PERIOD. So I took them at different times including the time of year . We get real snow where I am , Tilly no issues well almost she would bound thru it well over her head shake her ears out and bound again never gave up lol ( super warm snuggles from dad she knew were coming I think ) Diva not a chance , she would look up at Me and look like she was saying " HOW DARE YOU NOT SHOVEL THE SNOW so I can go do My business two feet from the door even if I shoveled 100 feet from the door she went two feet from the door ( freezes quick in winter up here ) and never in the rain BTW ...... Diva is well Named !

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
It all depends on the heat, but usually Boris will only make it around the block. We will sometimes stop by at "The Bulldog" bar and get a drink as they give us a discount if we bring our little man with us :)

We use a standard collar with a bungee leash (max of 65lbs) to correct his pulling lately. He does fairly well when walking until someone slams a car door or he hears a skateboarder coming. We keep the walks pretty short to ensure we don't cause his HD to worsen faster.

xHsEsRV.png

BXO3ClT.jpg

ccbulldog

Sep 22, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
We walk a mile each day, stopping by to see all the other neighborhood dogs...Rosie loves to walk. I'm hoping with it getting cooler to get out more often (I worry about the heat)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.