Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FAQ: How far and how often do you walk your bulldog(s)?

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chase
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: FAQ: How far and how often do you walk your bulldog(s)?

We currently live in an apartment so when we de-poop him twice a day, he goes for a small walk. We just take him around the block, which is more than enough. In the summer, of course we go early in the morning and later in the evening when it is cooler and the walk is a lot slower, but he absolutely loves his walks! Just long enough for a stretch since he sleeps all day.

Michelle & Wesley

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

Elmo hates to walk, he has a large deck to walk on in the summer, and the cooler months we let him outside in the fenced in yard which is 2 acres, but he comes right back into the house after about 5min. Elmo had rather be inside any day.

3. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
    Bully Bootie Duty Become a 4 Paw Member KristaB026's Avatar
    Real Name
    Krista
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Bentley loves his walks! He is horrible to play with in our backyard. I cannot get a toy away from him. Walking is a way to spend time outside. When we first adopted him I tried just around our street to find out what his limit was. We usually do 1 1/2 or 2 streets usually after dinner. Allergies have been so bad this summer that we haven't been keeping up on our walking schedule. I think we are both bummed.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Charlie
    Likes (Received)

Great topic-Charlie loves to walk but we won't be winning any races any time soon. Twice daily.
    My only concern is that I don't push him too far, weather permitting.
    I'll bring him home and like others, he loses his mind so I think I need him to burn more energy.
    He needs a neighborhood friend to wrestle with

Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)

Chunky is just a pup but I walk him 3 times a day probably an 1/8th mile after meals when he lets me. Usually he goes fine when he isn't being stubborn by refusing to move past the garage door but, sometimes i have to carry him up the road and he walks back fine.

Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

Country
    Uk
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley
    Likes (Received)

So funny to read all these stories so many of them sound like our Dudley. He gets two walks a day one morning one evening but if you were to see us walking him in woods I swear it looks like we are punishing him! He usually walks ten foot behind with a sulky face looking like he hardly has enough energy to barely move and only speeds up on the way home and then proceeds to dive into his toy box and bully me into playing

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)

Tilly would go where ever i go she would never stop ( Taught Me to carry water and a bowl every where ) Diva would follow but would do the flop and did not matter where either , hot cold warm cool water no water middle of the road or sidewalk PERIOD. So I took them at different times including the time of year . We get real snow where I am , Tilly no issues well almost she would bound thru it well over her head shake her ears out and bound again never gave up lol ( super warm snuggles from dad she knew were coming I think ) Diva not a chance , she would look up at Me and look like she was saying " HOW DARE YOU NOT SHOVEL THE SNOW so I can go do My business two feet from the door even if I shoveled 100 feet from the door she went two feet from the door ( freezes quick in winter up here ) and never in the rain BTW ...... Diva is well Named !

Real Name
    Matt
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boris Bullski
    Likes (Received)

It all depends on the heat, but usually Boris will only make it around the block. We will sometimes stop by at "The Bulldog" bar and get a drink as they give us a discount if we bring our little man with us

We use a standard collar with a bungee leash (max of 65lbs) to correct his pulling lately. He does fairly well when walking until someone slams a car door or he hears a skateboarder coming. We keep the walks pretty short to ensure we don't cause his HD to worsen faster.

-xhsesrv-png

-bxo3clt-jpg

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rosie
    Likes (Received)

We walk a mile each day, stopping by to see all the other neighborhood dogs...Rosie loves to walk. I'm hoping with it getting cooler to get out more often (I worry about the heat)

Country
    uk
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tia
    Likes (Received)

Glad to hear that your bullies are strong minded too. I have a 18 week old "Tia" and she just sits on the pavement to tell me shes not going anywhere and we have a stand off until she has enough and eventually moves (our walk is only 5 mins but can take 30 mins to do). When we get to the park she loves it what she doesn't like is the getting there. She loves coming home she trots away.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Enjoimangos View Post
    It all depends on the heat, but usually Boris will only make it around the block. We will sometimes stop by at "The Bulldog" bar and get a drink as they give us a discount if we bring our little man with us

We use a standard collar with a bungee leash (max of 65lbs) to correct his pulling lately. He does fairly well when walking until someone slams a car door or he hears a skateboarder coming. We keep the walks pretty short to ensure we don't cause his HD to worsen faster.

-xhsesrv-png

-bxo3clt-jpg
    Walks shouldn't cause his HD to worsen, in fact, he should be going on walks to strengthen the surrounding joint muscles which help with the HD. At least that's how my ortho vet explained it.
    It's activities like jumping, things that are hard on the joints that need to kept to a minimal. But going on walks a few times a day is good for him.

Blue also has HD, and we do a mile every Saturday and and Sunday. Would love to do it every day but not gonna happen in the city.

eta; unless of course there's some reason your vets is against it.

13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Shannon
    Country
    America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sassy
    Likes (Received)

Hi! I'm new here

Sassy LOVES walking. Her leash is her all time favorite toy- she picks it up, carries it around, and brings it to every new visitor when she greets them.

We walk 2-3 times a day probably about a 1/2 mile to a mile mostly. She also really enjoys hiking and going for longer walks. These are less frequent and only on cooler days. Also, I research the particular trail to be sure it follows a creek so she has access to water the whole time! Playing in creeks is one of her favorite things and since we live on a river she is very comfortable around water.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads