Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FAQ: How far and how often do you walk your bulldog(s)?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: FAQ: How far and how often do you walk your bulldog(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by JennyBean View Post
    I wish I could get Farley to go for a real walk! He just isn't into it. I tried walking him daily a couple of months ago early in the mornings. He will always start out far behind me.. We have gotten only 4 houses down a couple of times.Normally I am lucky if we get out of the driveway!! He just drags his feet to go on walks. But when he knows we are heading home he kicks it up into high speed! I am sure the neighbors must laugh at us when they see our outings.*lol*
    Goob was the same way when he was small. But, i would pick him up and walk him as far as i could so he was FORCED to walk home. Its like he got an energy boost in one direction (home) haha. If we didnt go the direction he wanted, he would lay down where ever he was...the middle of the street...a lawn...a driveway..ANYWHERE! I think the neighbors laughed when they saw me carrying a 40 pound bulldog after he laid down in a yard REFUSING to budge otherwise.

Now, a 65 pound Goob is not worth fighting...If he doesn't get passed the driveway...we aren't walking
    These little stinkers!

Kennel Cleaner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fred
    Likes (Received)

Fred gets 2 15 minute walks, one at 5.45 every morning and one about 8pm. He has free access to the back yard and will take himself out for a pee if he needs to. This seems to suit him very well and usually tires him out sufficiently for him to get a good night's sleep.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

When we lived in the city we went for a walk three times a day, one was always a bit longer 3-7km, maybe once a week up to 10 km. Two walks were shorter. Now that we live in the countryside and we have our own yard they go out more often, but less for walks on a leash. Even the longer walk up to 6 km they're mostly of leash since it takes place in a field or forrest.

Bully Bootie Duty msericathatcher's Avatar
    Real Name
    erica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

we don't walk very often- we live in a city and are very lucky that we live next to a green space/park and in the chilly weather he can play fetch up to 45 mins in full speed, walking he makes it about 6 blocks befor he starts to pant and pushes over 2 miles when he is completely burnt out.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

In South African winter (Maj-September) we walk them on weekends if the temperature allows it, it's way to hot in summer I can't walk them by myself during the week cos there are so many stray dogs running around here and I'm scared something will happen. Luckily we have a big fenced in yard so they can still be outside whenever they want. So... in winter only once a week.
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro
    Likes (Received)

My poor dogs never get to go for a walk. There are too many dogs who run loose(among other animals) and I am afraid that they would attack my dog(s). People with no sense who allow pitbulls (not nice ones) to run. People up the road who have 18 dobermans. I love all animals but not running loose. I forgot to add that they have a fenced yard-so they get plenty of excercise.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    maggie
    Likes (Received)

Where I live it has a big park What I do is I walk her to the park and she loves to run so we walk for about 10 mins and run until she wants to stop which is about 10 mins sometimes more I take her on walk about 3 to 4 times a week. Sometimes or less depending on weather

Real Name
    Jenny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Farley Foo (6 year old)
    Likes (Received)

@Goob14 I don't blame you for not fighting with Goob about a walk.. *lol* It's is so funny how these bullies can protest by not moving. They are so heavy to boot when they are dead weight. I have to bribe Farley with treats to go places out of his comfort zone.
    Last edited by JennyBean; 11-23-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: needed to tag

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

We gave up on the walk. We're in this urban subdivision with concrete sidewalks... we go quarter mile out and we're carrying Bullie home - all 60 lbs of her. She lost some weight and she started to have more energy so we get to the quarter mile mark and she's good for the walk home... but then her paws get bloody...

Angus, on the other hand can walk all day long. A half-mile walk and he's looking at me like, "are you kidding me?"...

So, now, we don't bother with a walk. Instead, we play Frisbee in the backyard for at least an hour each day when the kids are in school, but closer to 3 hours each day when they're not in school because they usually have their friends over who take turns playing fetch with the dogs.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Goob14 View Post
    Goob was the same way when he was small. But, i would pick him up and walk him as far as i could so he was FORCED to walk home. Its like he got an energy boost in one direction (home) haha. If we didnt go the direction he wanted, he would lay down where ever he was...the middle of the street...a lawn...a driveway..ANYWHERE! I think the neighbors laughed when they saw me carrying a 40 pound bulldog after he laid down in a yard REFUSING to budge otherwise.

Now, a 65 pound Goob is not worth fighting...If he doesn't get passed the driveway...we aren't walking
    These little stinkers!
    OMG, this is Bella. She does NOT want to walk, unless she's walking toward a person, dog, or our home. I've also done the carry-away-from-home trick so that she has to walk back toward home, which she does at a good clip! It's ridiculous. I am willing to carry her now, since she's 10-15 pounds, but this cannot go on for too much longer. I've decided to just let her walk in my fenced-in backyard. It's better for both of us. lol!

She's so stubborn. Once she's decided she's done walking (usually right after she pees), she'll just sit down and make me pull her...which I cannot do! It's horrible.

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We're lucky to make it to the end of the driveway, unless there is a stranger further on.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro
    Likes (Received)

If Bullies were horses-they would be called Barn Sour. When they don't want to leave.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads