FAQ: Do you give flea & tick medication and what do you use?

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
We don't use anything on Goob but we sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth around all of our doors and windows. We have never had a flea or tick problem but IF fleas ever find their way onto Goob, we would probably sprinkle DE all over the house.

ccbulldog

Sep 22, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
We use Revolution, which was recommended by our vet. Seems to work great! cuddles.jpg

TheFknHansons

Sep 25, 2015
Lebanon PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
We have had our Roxy for 6 days now and found yesterday that she had fleas. The vet gave her a pill that killed the fleas within 30 minutes and also gave her a dose of Frontline Plus. I ordered another 6 dose pack from 1-800-petmeds along with 4 doses of Heargard (which we also gave her this morning). The vet said that giving her a dose of each 1x per month would prevent her getting fleas in the future and also prevent worming.IMG_2768.JPG

Marycarmen

Dec 4, 2015
Kentucky
Country
Estados Unidos
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hi, somebody used TRIFEXIS ( Spinoza + mil be my in oxime)? The vet just recommend it, but I has been reading bad reviews for that.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Hi, somebody used TRIFEXIS ( Spinoza + mil be my in oxime)? The vet just recommend it, but I has been reading bad reviews for that.
I used it when it first came out years ago but stopped once I read about all the dogs dying from it and won't go back. Not worth the risk if you ask me.

spameggsandrice

Aug 14, 2017
Simpsonville, SC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brix
Vet recommended using Trifexis today which prevents heartworms, kills fleas & prevents instations, treats and controls intestinal worms. I didn't give it to him yet until I consulted with the breeder.

meds.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Vet recommended using Trifexis today which prevents heartworms, kills fleas & prevents instations, treats and controls intestinal worms. I didn't give it to him yet until I consulted with the breeder.

View attachment 107567

Read up on this product--- many deaths hav happen from it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

View attachment 107567

Whatever you do, stay away from that. Like mentioned many deaths has occurred. [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] can suggest you which ones to look into.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Spinosad ( in Comfortis and Trifexis ) seems to be more harmful than the newer oral products like Nexgard and Bravecto. Nexgard might be safer than Bravecto since it has to be given monthly rather than every 3 months, so it's out of the system quicker if you get some side effects. If you want to give an oral combination product for fleas,ticks and heartworm you can give Nexgard Spectra which combines Nexgard and Milbemycin.

I personally give my dogs topical K9 Advantix II for fleas and ticks monthly from April-November ( similar to Vectra 3D which is equally efficacious ), and oral Interceptor Plus (Milbemycin Plus Praziquantel) every 2 months from June to November to kill heartworm and all other worms. I used to use topical K9 Advantix II (for fleas and ticks) plus topical Advantage Multi (for all worms besides tapeworms) monthly, but thought I would try to minimize exposure of my dogs to these pesticides. Interceptor Plus is only in the dog's system for 1 day, whereas Advantage Multi circulates for a month.

Whatever you do, stay away from that. Like mentioned many deaths has occurred. [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] can suggest you which ones to look into.

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger

View attachment 107567
[MENTION=17494]spameggsandrice[/MENTION] only offering you my experience and advice but I WOULD NOT use it. We took Ranger for his puppy shots once we brought him home so he was about 2 1/2 mths old and we obviously wanted to get him started on flea/tick/heart worm prevention. Our Vet (whom we have for years) gave us Trifexis. We had no concern as we had a Pit bull previously, who took Trifexis and had NO ISSUES with it. After I gave Ranger his dose, I am not exaggerating when I tell you that my 2 1/2 month old puppy almost died after taking Trifexis. He began throwing up, staggering as if he was drunk and was completely out of it. Luckily, our Vet is THE BEST and met me after hours at the office. After fluids, nausea meds, and more supportive care Ranger was thankfully okay but I would NOT recommend this product. We now use Nexguard and Heartguard and have never had a problem since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

spameggsandrice

Aug 14, 2017
Simpsonville, SC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brix
Does anyone else have experience with Trifexis good or bad? Just want to get some feedback. Also is this the right place for me to post this?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Does anyone else have experience with Trifexis good or bad? Just want to get some feedback. Also is this the right place for me to post this?

You can probably Google and find all the horror stories about it. I am not a fan of the topical treatments. I use Sentinel Spectrum which covers fleas, heartworms and other worms. It doesn't cover ticks but I don't need to worry about ticks for where I live.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.