FAQ: Do you give flea & tick medication and what do you use?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Do you give flea & tick medication and what do you use?

Please give any details as to why you chose the brand or remedy, and if you have ever had any bad side effects from any previous type of treatment.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We use Revolution for Dozer and Blossom. It was prescribed by our vet, and is the brand that they recommend in their office. When I asked if it was a good brand, and if it had a lot of side effects, she told me it was the brand she used on her own dogs, and she said it was safe and didn't have a lot of side effects. It is a topical Parasiticide for dogs and cats. The drug used in this brand is Selamectin. We administer the Revolution once a month from June 25th to November 25th. The dose is by weight, and is administered by a vial that we break open, and place in between the shoulder blades. Revolution treats and controls fleas, ticks, ear mites, sarcoptic mange mites, and for prevention of Heartworm disease. It also treats and controls roundworm, and tick infestations. The insert that is in the box has a Caution, that is to be used on dogs and cats 6 months of age or older, and that they should be tested for Heartworm before starting medication. It should also be used cautiously with sick, or underweight animals. The Animal Safety clause says that Revolution has been tested with No adverse reactions in dogs of over 100 different pure and mixed breeds, and in pregnant and lactating females, breeding males, and females, and puppies 6 months and older. Revolution was administered at 10 times the recommended dose, and No adverse effects were noted. We have given this to our guys for the past two years, and they have never had a reaction of any kind, no illness, no lethargy, or diarrhea after we gave them their treatment.

This is how Revolution comes, the Teal box is Blossoms, and the red box is Dozers, as the dose is done by weight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 231

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Last year, when Castor was a pup, we didn't use anything but this year he got something called Frontline. We have ticks here and Frontline was very efficient indeed - not a single tick for three months. However, he has been itchy all summer and has had some skin issues right where we applied Frontline, and then he came down with a really bad ear infection a fortnight ago. Of course we don't know if the problems he's been having were related to Frontline, and it was only recently we made the (possible) connection - all summer we thought he was itchy because he was allergic to something. However, in hindsight it does seem as if Frontline did affect his health so we'll need to find something else next year.

Kucha

Feb 10, 2013
Country
Tokyo Japan
Bulldog(s) Names
Kucha
We use Frontline plus for Kucha.
Was recommended by our VET.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sentinel for worm/flea and becasue we are in a high tick area, Vectra 3D

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We use Sentinel for worms/fleas and I also have Frontline that I use in the summer months because the ticks can be HORRIBLE where we live.
Now I will be using Advantage Multi on Walter to help w/his demodex mange issues, so I will have to let you know how that works.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I use Sentry Fiproguard Max for flea and tick. It has worked well so far-and no reactions.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
We use Advantix. Frontline plus worked great for years but recently stopped working on ticks. Advantix has been great so far

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
OK, I will be the odd one (imagine that) Vegas is 5.6 years old. He has never, ever had a flea or tick in his life. So I use nothing and never have. KNOCK ON WOOD (as I am pounding my head!)

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
I have always used advantix on my boys..there are lots of ticks where we live but we haven't had any problems..its sold over the counter now so we don't have to go to the vet to get it anymore

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Bravecto. Had to make an emergency vet visit (for Wellie, but he's fine) and the vet, one we've never used before, gave both Blue and Wellie Bravecto. It's a chewable tablet for fleas and ticks that works for 12 weeks.

This morning, Blue threw up. Apparently it's a common side effect. Hoping that's the worst of it.

JDLaing

Sep 25, 2014
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
I went to the Vet with Mack today and they gave me Trifexis. It's supposed to take care of Heartworm, Fleas and Intestinal Parasites and infection. We'll see how he takes to it. One pill once a month for three things. Modern advancements.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.