Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
FAQ: Are your bulldogs crate trained? Why or why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThatsBull

Sep 10, 2014
Saskatchewan
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tia
Tia is, when we are not home. She is still young, and I would hate for something to happen to her or for her to find something to get into (especially with her having food allergies), so when we go out, she goes in her crate. She doesn't love it, but she is adjusting.

Otherwise she sleeps on the bed. I work overnights and my husband works days, so there is like 14-16 hours a day when someone is in bed for her to cuddle with.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Yes, Elmo is crate trained. We crate him when we go off or he would destroy the furniture.

Miami927

Jul 21, 2014
Indiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miami & Maddox
Miami is crate trained, she loves her crate. That is the only place where she will sleep, if I don't put her in her crate for a nap she will just keep walking around and playing all day. She still wakes up during the night to go potty and recently wants to get in bed with us now. She won't fall asleep in the bed with us, only in the middle of the night does she want in our bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
No , we didnt feel the need to , girls have always had a full run of the house , only at night they sleep in the kitchen - they are used to it - as when we potty trained Lilly at night this is where both of girls were sleeping
Now when i say and sign command "beddy byes" both of girls make their way to the kitchen and wait for me to bring their beds
In a day time they usually sleep on the sofa or in my lil girl bedroom x

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
All my dogs are crate trained. I never lock the door. They come and go as they please. When there shattered they have a time out away from us and go to there beds.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse is at night but behaves himself in the day now so just stays free

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Winslow gets free roam when we are not home.
We don't want him to totally forget the crate, so occasionally we put him in so that it's not a shock when he has to use it at my dad's house or somewhere else where he might need confinement now and then.
Otherwise, he's out. At night he sleeps in our room.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel did not like her crate at first; however, it is now her safe haven. I do not have to tell her to get in her crate. I just say Daddy has to go to work or it is time for bed and in she goes (normally, both Jewel and Bentley sleep in our bed but since Jewel's TPLO surgery they are in their crates at night). Bentley I'm afraid spent the first 8 months in a kennel/crate and obviously is acclimated to one. When we got him back in June of this year, we tried to have him sleep in our bed. He was breathing so hard, that I thought he would hyperventilate. We put him in the crate and he was fine. Digressing, ou poor guy did not know what a treat or toy was when we got him. Despite the outlays of cash to get him well, I am so glad we got Bentley away from his surroundings. He is a super loving bully who still needs socialization skills. He usually follows Jewel's lead.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Yes. Harlea eats and sleeps at night in her crate. During the day she has free roam of half the house. If we are leaving for longer than an hour or so she goes in her play pen.

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Yes, Ruby loves her crate/kennel. It is her safe place. We are gone for 4 hours at a time during the day. She goes there then. She goes there at night. She prefers to go there and does not like to be on furniture. She is 8 months now so maybe her habits will change.
Potty training
allowing her to feel safe
Keeping our stuff safe
My previous 2 had their crates packed up at about 2-years old when they no longer used them.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Absolutely… I have always crate trained ALL of my dogs. For their own safety, and if for some reason we need to keep them away from people such as service men that come to the house. Roxie I can leave out at all times, she's 9 years old and doesn't destroy things anymore. Wally is only 7 mos old so I will crate him or put him in his play area if I can't watch him...

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Henry has been in his crate since day 1. He has never minded. He sleeps there at night and goes in there when We leave the house. Sometimes he can be trusted to be out but usually he tries to chew something up. I've gotten him some bones and antlers to try to fix that problem. He also get crated when we have company occasionally or when mama is too sick to be out of bed. He has toys in there and doesn't mind at all. Also, we had a crate from a previous dog so we use it for Henry. It's way too big for him, but it makes me feel better when he has to be in it.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Yes and No. Blue's crate is his safe place, but if we lock the door, he panics.
So yeah, he's kinda crate trained as in he knows to go in it when we want him to (and if he feels like listening), but we
can't close it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes... that is Banks' 'safty-safe' she LOVES her crate, the door is off of it and she spends a lot of time in there in the early morning or right before bed. She knows when she is in the crate, we will not bother her at all. She also does not mess in there ever.

Cheli - our Frenchie, opposite story! He does not like it at all, he knows when he is going in and will try to avoid it at all costs, We sometimes have to pick him up because he will not willingly walk in.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online