Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FAQ: Are your bulldogs crate trained?

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abraham "Abe"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: FAQ: Are your bulldogs crate trained?

Abraham is. He has a wire KONG crate we keep in the master bedroom. He sleeps there every night and stays there when we need to leave the house. During the day he is welcome to go in and take a nap without worrying about being locked in. It's his safe place to go. We call it his "house". When we want him to go in it all we have to say is "Abe, go get in your house" and he happily complies.

Real Name
    Jenny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Farley Foo (8 1/2 yrs old) RIP My precious FarlyFoo 7/24/2017
    Likes (Received)

Yes, all of my dogs are crate trained. Farley only uses his crate when we leave the house. He has a bad habit of peeing inside while we are away. If he is in his crate he wont do this and I can put him outside to potty as soon as we get home.

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    X
    Likes (Received)

Not sure if the apartment would be considered crate living. Weesie and I are such wimps we felt like a crate was like a cage. But the boys love the apartment.

Attachment 81029

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Roxy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RalphieBoy View Post
    Not sure if the apartment would be considered crate living. Weesie and I are such wimps we felt like a crate was like a cage. But the boys love the apartment.

Attachment 81029
    he even utilizes both of his beds hahaha.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Doug
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella, Dozer and Koda
    Likes (Received)

Yes both of my guys are crate trained and sleep every night in them with the door closed.I also still use a baby monitor because they are on the other side of the house from our bed room.
    -img_1966-800x450-jpg

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Brutus is 5 months old now and has slept in his crate since we got him at 2 months. We had to drive 10 hours to get the little guy and he was in that crate for the whole 10 hours back to our home except for breaks and he loved it! He has been fantastic with the crate and only sleeps in there. Otherwise, he has the roam of the downstairs when I am home and he has his play room (our boot room that is quite large and tiled, full of toys and water) when we are away during the day. We have a baby gate that separates him from the rest of the house while we aren't at home.

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We have always crate trained our dogs, starting with our bullmastiffs, because they could have eaten a sofa if they wanted to (they did). Mabel was crate trained when we got her, but we don't use it now. As long as we pay attention when she needs to go out to pee, we don't have a problem. She has never chewed anything up. When she's gone and we get another dog, we will have to retrain ourselves! She has spoiled us.

-trixie-sofa-jpg

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Country
    UK
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry
    Likes (Received)

-img_1624-jpg

Both Henry & Daphne are crate trained, since day 1.

During the day the crate is open and they go in and out as they please, mainly though, they relax on their memory foam bed above. (yes spoilt)

We also but one of their beds in the crate, so they are used to going in there for a sleep. During the night they are locked in their crate, the moment we lock the crate (night or day) they go straight to sleep.

When they were younger I used to put them in the crate after feeding (4 times a day) for a little snooze, when they woke up I just opened the crate. They now associate the crate as sleep time. I also never tell them off in their crate, it must be kept as their safe place etc :-)

Real Name
    Leslie
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola, Floyd
    Likes (Received)

Yes Lola and Floyd are both crate trained now. Didn't work the first few months, they used the crates as their own personal toilets and if we closed the door they would cry and cry. So we gave up. However they would go in during the day for naps with the door open. Just over a week ago we tried again since they are both potty trained now and can sleep through the night. However if Floyd would wake up in the night he wants to play with Lola and starts biting her ears and barking at her which wakes the whole house up. This time it was so easy and has been wonderful. I tell them it's bedtime and walk over to their crates and the each give me a kiss and go straight in and lie down. I shut the doors say goodnight and turn off the light. I can hear the snoring before I even get upstairs, no crying , no barking, no fuss. No waking up during the night. They sleep right until my husband gets up for work and it's time for a potty break. It's been beneficial for everyone in the house to be well rested both human and fur babies. I had mixed feelings in the beginning but feel its for the best now.We also use them if we have to go out for more than a half hour and they can't come, which isn't very often. Someone is usually at home. But they are destructive chewers when left alone, the couch, the crown moulding , the stairs. They always go right to sleep whenever they go in them and I know they love their sleep.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mack
    Likes (Received)

I brought home my first bully 5 nights ago and he absolutely does NOT want to be in his crate. He barks frantically throughout the night, pants and breathes in a panicked fashion, and is just a mess. I know many bullies come to love their crate as a safe place to be, but how do I get him to relax and be OK while in his crate??? How long has it taken others for their bulldog pup to be OK during the night other than the need to go potty while still so young? I currently have his crate in my laundry room, he has a chew toy and a stuffed football to cuddle with, and I keep a little music on. I also have most of the crate covered with a large towel to make it more 'den like'. Am I missing something?

There seems to be so much conflicting information out there regarding crate training...

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guinness
    Likes (Received)

We crate trained Guinness for many months until he was old enough to be trusted when weren't around. After the first few nights he was fine with it. Now we have another dog we are crate training and Guinness will go sit in her crate. We were lucky that he never really minded it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ollie
    Likes (Received)

Our Ollie is crate trained- we adopted her from a family who didn't have the time needed for a puppy- and she was already crate trained. We keep her in her crate at night. This is only due to her snoring. We would like her to sleep in the bedroom with us but the snoring is so bad neither of us can sleep with her in there. If we didn't put her in her crate downstairs she would cry at our bedroom door all night. Other than that she has free roam of the house. She doesn't love her crate but she doesn't cry when she goes in and after a few minutes of sitting up giving us sad face she usually goes to sleep and sleeps through the night. We're hoping for the day when she begins to think of her crate as her bed and enjoys being in it!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads