Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I'm curious to see how other EBD owners clean their dogs ears. I normally use a "flush" that I buy at PETCO and try to use it weekly.
I seem to always be faced with dirty ears with both my EBD and my Pug, who's ears are worse with wax. Why are their ears always
in such horrible shape ?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Re: Ear Cleaning Issues .......

We use witch hazel on a cotton pad and clean once a week, more during allergy season. Some dogs are just prone to dirty ears, others it is due to allergies. Banks has a lot of season allergies so in spring and fall her ears are really dirty so we clean more often. Our Frenchie, is not bad, but he does get a wax build up in the summer time..... witch hazel does the trick for both of them

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I use Malecetic Otic to clean ears. We used to get a lot of gunk and ear infections until my vet showed us about 15 years ago how to clean them. Never had any problems since.

Here is a great video showing exactly how our vet taught me.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
We also use Malacetic Otic but we soak a cotton ball with it, then squeeze the soaked cotton ball into the ear, put the cotton into the ear, massage like shown in the video, and wipe. He also shakes out the excess. I don't use a Q-tip though.

Blue has terrible allergies, but his ears are generally good if we clean them once a week.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yeah I no longer use a Qtip because they never seem too dirty. Back when we were having problems in the ears they were useful at getting up the gunk. Once the ears are healthy the Qtip is not really necessary.

I also don't fill the ears up to the brim, just one good squirt has the same effect and less messy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks for this video. Great information. Very helpful. I pretty much do this too, but never used Q-tips.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I clean the outer skin of the ear about twice a week, by wiping with a baby wipe. I use a facecloth with a little shampoo and warm water to wipe the eyes, ears, nose ropes, and face when they have their bath once every two weeks. And once a month I use cleaner either the one from my vet, or I also make my own using equal parts of apple cider vinegar and hydrogen peroxide and warm water. I bought a squirt bottle from the dollar store, ( the kind you would use to mix hair colour), and I fill the ear canal, and then use a gauze to remove the wax.

meganmarie

Sep 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Ella Grace
Thanks for posting the video since I'm very much a visual learner. This seems so much easier than I expected

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
I use just a small amount of Apple Vinegar on a soft cotton ball with the boys.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.