FAQ: Has you Bulldog had a Tail Amputation?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Ok, for all those that have experienced a Tail Amputation and the after care, please post your advice/experiences.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel had a cork screw tail with a tail pocket. We had her tail amputated at the same time as her ACL repair. She was stitched up like a sliver of a moon shape tail level. At one point, it seemed the stitches were casuing some inflammation. We used Neosporin Ointment to help ease the inflammation as well as the itching through the healing process. The stitches were removed two weeks post-op (i.e. 4 weeks ago--my wife casually informed me Jewel is actually 6 weeks post-op as opposed to what I said as 8-weeks yesterday in my update--still a long freakin' time).

So far, there have been no issues and no tail pocket to clean.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Finn had a tail amputation this past January. He was experiencing frequent infections in the folds of his corkscrew tail, causing him to be on several rounds of prednisone and antibiotics. The tail amputation was considered a "partial" one, with about 3/4 of the corkscrew removed. His recovery process took about 7 days. He definitely had some pain and was placed on tramadol and rimadyl. He was on "bed rest" for a good 3-4 days post-op and had some rash-like symptoms on the areas where he was shaved down, but otherwise, he did quite well. Since the surgery I'm happy to say that he has not had any further infections in the tail area.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty had surgery to correct his deep tail pocket last October. The vet also amputated the tip of his tail because of its position (pointing in a bit and that it was a very tight screw). At the time, he said because of the tight screw, it was one of the most difficult tail pocket surgeries he had done but he didn't want to amputate the tail completely unless it was absolutely necessary. Yesterday he had to have further minor surgery as there was still a bit of a pocket at the very top under his tail that was causing problems. He also had his nares and soft palate done. We were planning to have that done soon but when this came up we decided to do it all at the same time to avoid another anesthetic. This poor dog! In the six months we have had him, he has been neutered, two tail surgeries and nares and palate! I bet he wonders what type of home he has come to! His previous owners said their regular vet wanted to amputate his tail but our 'bulldog' vet is hoping it won't come to that. Let's hope this is the end of it all. He is such a good boy and I hate putting him through all this but we really are trying to give him a good quality of life.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@1Chumly Poor Monty! He may not realize it, but it shows what good parents he has!!(though I am sure he knows....) Happy that he made it through it all, and he sure is a handsome guy. Feel better soon, Monty!!:hug2:

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
We brought Monty home yesterday and his tail looks better already. His nostrils also look good. Poor boy, I feel so sorry for him. He is a bit 'out of it' from the drugs but rather that than him be in pain. It hasn't diminished his appetite one bit though even if he is on mushy food! He is so sweet and we are so lucky to have him.

Nadine27

Jan 19, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Hugo has just currently has a full amputation.His incision goes from bum cheek to the other straight across. I was having to clean just his bottom with warm water and cream from the vets. But as to the main part I was not aloud to touch and it's heeling fantastic he get the stitches out next Tuesday and that's him all healed up

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
It has been two weeks now since Monty's second pocket/tail surgery and it has made a huge difference. It was a major clean every time he went before and sometimes in between but now it is a wipe once a day and even then it isn't always necessary. Happy dog, happy owner!

Waltersmom

Aug 19, 2016
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
i had walter's done when he was about 3 I think. Best decision I ever made he is 9 now. I kept the wound clean with Hibicleanse. He did not get an infection or anything it did not seem to bother him.

Jlc6453

Dec 5, 2017
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
My Lucy is having the tail amputation surgery December 18th. I am so nervous for her, she's 7 years old and her age scares me a little. Also, I've heard it's a very painful surgery for them. Lucy has been to numerous vets, for a whole number of issues, main issue being bladder stones and bladder infections. This last vet told me that she keeps getting recurring bladder infections because of her tail, her tail is constantly infected and travels down to her urethra causing an infection in her bladder. Has anyone else had a vet tell them a similar scenario or had issues with bladder infections? I'm curious if these bladder infections will stop once she has the Surgery?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My Lucy is having the tail amputation surgery December 18th. I am so nervous for her, she's 7 years old and her age scares me a little. Also, I've heard it's a very painful surgery for them. Lucy has been to numerous vets, for a whole number of issues, main issue being bladder stones and bladder infections. This last vet told me that she keeps getting recurring bladder infections because of her tail, her tail is constantly infected and travels down to her urethra causing an infection in her bladder. Has anyone else had a vet tell them a similar scenario or had issues with bladder infections? I'm curious if these bladder infections will stop once she has the Surgery?

I answered your other post. Read BEFORE getting amputation.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tail pocket must be cleaned and disinfected every 2-3 days in Bulldogs. In between cleanings you must make sure it is dry there, otherwise hot spot can start there. After shower you must thoroughly dry the area, then put antiseptic powder there. If you donā€™t take care of it regularly, it is infected and requires amputation.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tail pocket must be cleaned and disinfected every 2-3 days in Bulldogs. In between cleanings you must make sure it is dry there, otherwise hot spot can start there. After shower you must thoroughly dry the area, then put antiseptic powder there. If you donā€™t take care of it regularly, it is infected and requires amputation.

Nat, I never dry Nyala's tail nor put antiseptic. Most oils are all anti inflammatory so dont need any antiseptic. When I redo her tail 2-3 days later it's dry. :)

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
May be Ishould try your magic mixture! One thing Iā€™m not sure about is the quality of essential oils which are available. I doubt that everything they call essential oils is real. The reason why? Iā€™m a granddaughter of bee keeper and butter maker. I know everything about honey and butter. I can detect additives in honey or butter from a mile distance (and there are methods to check it with some simple available chemicals). And guess what? So far I didnā€™t find neither real butter here, in the US, nor honey:ashamed: and Iā€™m afraid that essential oils are not so real too...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
May be Ishould try your magic mixture! One thing Iā€™m not sure about is the quality of essential oils which are available. I doubt that everything they call essential oils is real. The reason why? Iā€™m a granddaughter of bee keeper and butter maker. I know everything about honey and butter. I can detect additives in honey or butter from a mile distance (and there are methods to check it with some simple available chemicals). And guess what? So far I didnā€™t find neither real butter here, in the US, nor honey:ashamed: and Iā€™m afraid that essential oils are not so real too...

You are 200% right. If you're not sure what's reL get doterra. Rule of thumb....if you see lavender @10 $ n one @30 $ well that's one hint. The real way to identify if its real or not, you will see the real latin name on the bottle ALONG with a lot or bin#, barcode so the maker can track the bottle if there was to be an issue with. Oils are not always oily texture can be also a watery texture. Or like mentioned buy Doterra.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online