Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Keeping the FAQ going.
In the uk we don't have pet smart and the like to cut our pups nails. I could be wrong but I think 99% do it out selfs.
White nails are easy to cut as you can see where to cut off
However
Has anyone got tips for cutting black nails

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Re: Cutting nails

[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] might... I think there is a video on the site somewhere. I take my guys to the vet office and the techs do them.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

I'm always afraid to do it because I don't want to cut too close… :fie:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)

[MENTION=6047]jimmyjj[/MENTION] pets at home (the ones with vets will do it x also mobile groomers if you dont want to attempt it yourself

Basicly you do small cuts if you cant see quick until the texture of the nail inside starts to change. You will see the outside ‘shell’ of the nail appear and you will see the texture inside change to a more ’meaty’ kind of texture. When you see the bottom of the nail change to a darker colour and/or a white circle appear in the nail you need to stop as this is the quick
I also cut dark nails dogs more often or walk them more to save my time and sanity cutting them :-)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Cutting nails

I use clippers to cut most of the nails off. Then I follow up with a Dremel to smooth out the sharp edges and get them back a little farther.

Note that if you use a Dremel you should do it in short spurts. The nail will get too hot if you hold it on there for too long.

The best thing about the Dremel is that you can get back pretty far without cutting the quik. If you hit it they will pull away so you know it's time to stop too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion

I flip Vegas on his back. I clip the hollow spot only. Or the grown out area.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

I use clippers to cut most of the nails off. Then I follow up with a Dremel to smooth out the sharp edges and get them back a little farther.

Note that if you use a Dremel you should do it in short spurts. The nail will get too hot if you hold it on there for too long.

The best thing about the Dremel is that you can get back pretty far without cutting the quik. If you hit it they will pull away so you know it's time to stop too.:yes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what we do :yes:

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie

My last bully, Annie, absolutely loved for me to file her nails with the Pedi Paw grinder! I would say, "Annie, let's do your nails!" and she would run to me as fast as she could. She was such a girly girl! Now I have Winnie (5 months old) who isn't afraid of the grinder, she just doesn't want it touching her nails. I will keep trying to get her comfortable with it though, because she screams like a stuck pig when they clip her nails at the vet's office. The grinder is really nice if you can get your dog to tolerate it.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
I have a guillotine type clipper. Harvey does not appreciate those. I have since moved on to dremel #7300 - that is very efficient at $25. You do it is small spurts so there is small chance of hitting the quick. If you do, it is going to be a slight bleeding/injury.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Keeping the FAQ going. In the uk we don't have pet smart and the like to cut our pups nails. I could be wrong but I think 99% do it out selfs. White nails are easy to cut as you can see where to cut off However Has anyone got tips for cutting black nails
Just nip the tip! I cut Goob's nails once a week and he has black nails. I sit on the floor with my legs together and straight out in front of me. I flip Goob over on his back and hold him...kind of like if you were to give him the Heimlich maneuver. Then I grab one paw at a time and clip. Clip little by little. Make sure the clippers are directed the correct way. I don't mean to sound insensitive but don't worry too much if you clip one too short and see a little blood. It won't bleed much and then you'll be able to see how short is too short and you can stay away from that length in the future. If you clip it and look at the nail, there almost looks like there is a soft spot in the middle and it looks almost clear. If it turns pink...you're cutting it too short. The first few weeks, I just cut his nails a little at a time over the course of 3 days. Just be patient. You might think..."oh, I can go shorter" but don't over estimate it. Clip little by little...I guess that's my best advice. I'm glad I cut his nails bc it saves me ten bucks a week!!! I'm cheap

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I use a Dremel on Mabel. She lies on her back and lets me do anything! One paw is white, one has black nails, and the other two are mixed. I hate doing the black ones.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
A year or so ago, I decided that I wanted to cut my boxer's nails. I found at Petsmart some clippers that have a sensor inside. When you put them on the nail you can move them down and a light will let you know if you are in the quick or not. They were around $50, I think. I still didn't like doing nails though and just let the vet keep doing it. But those clippers would work really well for dogs with black nails.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Yes, I cut Elmo's nails, and then use the Dremel to smooth the nails out.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I cut their nails myself, I just have a normal doggie nail cutter but it works fine I think:) Boeboe and Bennie are doing good while I cut their nails, it's Joey that's the difficult one:fie: She'll be fine for a while but then she gets bored and starts to fight it, she'll try to bite the cutter and she'll wrestle and go crazy to get away, lol, she would never hurt me though, she's so sweet<3 I've never cut her nails to short and I don't think her previous owner cut her nails at all cos they were very long when we got her.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online