Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have always cut my dogs nails but these bullies will not let me. they pull and wiggle and I just can't do it myself. It is so embarrassing! With the black nails, I cut them just below the curve. I also always had styptic powder on hand-in case of bleeding.

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
I do clip Kira's nails, just did it today actually. I use a regular nail clipper now when she is still young and it works great and once she is older will be using pet nail clipper. Without clipping nails, the fingers/paws have no way to form correctly.

MichelleDavis

Jul 22, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chase
I get so nervous doing our bulldog's nails because half of his are black and half of them are normal. My husband does them - He will trim the normal colored ones, then he will go by that length for the black ones. When it is up to me to trim, I just take him to our PetSmart, or if that isn't an option then our vet does as well :)

Michelle & Wesley

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I am sorry maybe I should not even reply to this thread but us woossies should also have a place to own up to our hang ups !
That said
NO I do not cut any of my 4 dogs nails PERIOD I am a pussy and I am honest , I will clean any part of there body ANYTHING !! But I will not clip there nails , some people are scared of snakes or spiders I laugh in the face of that danger but i will not cut bloody nails !
I go to our vet and she has a young girl in training that smirks at Me as she does it, its ok I have a good doctor for that after she is finished to talk too about my hang ups !

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
i understand the concerns of cutting nails with the possibility of injuring the quick. I cringe when I do this.

Solution: DREMEL - I use it very comfortably. Quick and easy. I never looked back.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
i understand the concerns of cutting nails with the possibility of injuring the quick. I cringe when I do this.

Solution: DREMEL - I use it very comfortably. Quick and easy. I never looked back.

Interesting the Bully does not mind the Dremel buzzing away as you do it ? very interesting !

harveyspecter

Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Interesting the Bully does not mind the Dremel buzzing away as you do it ? very interesting !

key is you do not stay one one nail too long, split seconds, before going to another nail. He is lying down on me with his paws in the air. Tag team with somebody else - Treats in the end, very important.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
key is you do not stay one one nail too long, split seconds, before going to another nail. He is lying down on me with his paws in the air. Tag team with somebody else - Treats in the end, very important.
Hmm I have what you are using with the extension , I take it you are using a fine stone to grind the nails ? and at what RPM full/ med ?

harveyspecter

Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Hmm I have what you are using with the extension , I take it you are using a fine stone to grind the nails ? and at what RPM full/ med ?

Amazon.com: Dremel 7300-PT 4.8-Volt Pet Grooming Kit: Home Improvement

I use the dremel pets version - it comes with the attachment when i bought it. High speed. Just dab it on the nail. Move to the next one, repeat and then when you are done go back to the original nail. Key is you don't stay on one nail, just quickly and don't push the dremel to the nail, just tap it. You'll see that this is an easy task for you. Good Luck.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Hmmm Ok TY much I thought you were using the wood working version of Dremel , I have not seen the Pet version here in Ont Canada thanks for answering my questions

Ninanet

Aug 11, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dovie
I don't do Dovie's cause she's too strong for me to hold still .But I have always clipped the others .... its a learning curve .Only hit blood once and bout half are black . Thinking about trying the dremel thing .

big b

Aug 10, 2015
Country
georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
No bulldog yet.
Sorry newb question, what is a quick?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sorry newb question, what is a quick?

it is a nerve that is in the center of the nail... if you cut the nail too short it clips the quick and they will bleed for a long time, and when their adrenaline kicks in, it will start to bleed again

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.