trustmeimdogsbff

Oct 20, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Why would you add corn syrup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The breeder I bought her from told me to do that mixture for her and that he would tell me when to change it. He also told me to feed her 4 times a day every 6 hours and give her enough food to fill her up, she should leave food on the bowl. Is that all incorrect? I am honestly asking.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
The breeder I bought her from told me to do that mixture for her and that he would tell me when to change it. He also told me to feed her 4 times a day every 6 hours and give her enough food to fill her up, she should leave food on the bowl. Is that all incorrect? I am honestly asking.

Iā€™ve never heard of adding corn syrup and canā€™t imagine the purpose. Purina isnā€™t a great brand either. How old is your puppy? Iā€™d probably just switch to a higher quality, single protein kibble. Adding in goatā€™s milk is good as long as itā€™s raw so it will be a good probiotic. Some good kibbles are Acana, Fromm, Zignature, Open Farm just to name a few.

I have fed puppies 3 times a day until 5-6 months and then switched to twice a day.

trustmeimdogsbff

Oct 20, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Iā€™ve never heard of adding corn syrup and canā€™t imagine the purpose. Purina isnā€™t a great brand either. How old is your puppy? Iā€™d probably just switch to a higher quality, single protein kibble. Adding in goatā€™s milk is good as long as itā€™s raw so it will be a good probiotic. Some good kibbles are Acana, Fromm, Zignature, Open Farm just to name a few.

I have fed puppies 3 times a day until 5-6 months and then switched to twice a day.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I was going to switch over to Fromm after reading about it on this forum. I'm thinking of picking up about 3 different protein bags and change them out each month. By raw goat milk you mean getting milk directly from a goat? Should I blend the kibbles the way I have been doing the purina kibbles?

She is about to be 9 weeks old tomorrow.

I have been feeding her 3 times a day about 190 calories a meal. I did not follow the instructions of the breeder to the letter because I began to read a lot online and saw that some of his information was wrong. Now it seems like he might've been wrong about all of it.

Thanks again for your help.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I was going to switch over to Fromm after reading about it on this forum. I'm thinking of picking up about 3 different protein bags and change them out each month. By raw goat milk you mean getting milk directly from a goat? Should I blend the kibbles the way I have been doing the purina kibbles?

I have been feeding her 3 times a day about 190 calories a meal. I did not follow the instructions of the breeder to the letter because I began to read a lot online and saw that some of his information was wrong. Now it seems like he might've been wrong about all of it.

You can get raw goatā€™s milk from some boutique pet stores. Some brands are Answers and Primal but there might be others as well. If you canā€™t find it, sauerkraut from the fridge section is also a good probiotic as it is fermented.

I personally donā€™t see a need of blending the kibbles. I donā€™t really go by calories either, I judge amount by poop and weight. I think I started Ella on 3 cups a day when she was that young but her poop was pretty soft so then I played around with the amount. There is a good chart on here as a guideline of feeding amounts. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] can you post the chart or link to the article on here?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can get raw goatā€™s milk from some boutique pet stores. Some brands are Answers and Primal but there might be others as well. If you canā€™t find it, sauerkraut from the fridge section is also a good probiotic as it is fermented.

I personally donā€™t see a need of blending the kibbles. I donā€™t really go by calories either, I judge amount by poop and weight. I think I started Ella on 3 cups a day when she was that young but her poop was pretty soft so then I played around with the amount. There is a good chart on here as a guideline of feeding amounts. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] can you post the chart or link to the article on here?

Here ya go...

English Bulldog News Forums - Why Does My Bulldog Puppy Have Diarrhea?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I feed Lola Purina ProPlan for Puppies, I blend it to make it into powder, I then add boiling water, coconut oil, corn syrup, Evangers canned food (different flavors) and goat milk, I mix it all together and serve. But I am really new to all of this and I think there is a better way to feed her after reading some of the food other members feed their companions.

Hi there...plz stop feeding her ALL of that. ESPECIALLY corn syrup!!! Donā€™t worry youā€™re not the first searching n we are here to help :)

If itā€™s kibbles stick to Acana single protein bags so you can start monitoring to which protein she can n canā€™t have for allergies. DONT mean sheā€™ll have any either. Thereā€™s also Fromm, Zignature as good quality kibbles. I prefer Acana as itā€™s the only one that has the highest protein in meat n less legumes as protein. Also after each bag make sure you rotate to a different protein. Do use chicken. Get her immune system use to chicken at a young age n sheā€™ll be able to eat it throughout her lifetime. When theyā€™re pups, itā€™s the best time to try all protein from meats. Start with Duck as itā€™s easier to digest. Acana has Duck, chicken, lamb, pork, beef n fish.

Coconut oil is good n goats milk. Some of the members n myself feed a raw diet. If you can, go for it. Youā€™ll eliminate so many issues down the road, see less of your vet, no tear stains, more fit. If itā€™s kibbles you want, do add raw organ as a topper. Like liver or even heart. Cut it up in pieces n freeze in little ziploc bags.

But yes, definitely stop completely what youā€™re feeding her. Itā€™s all full of grains, fillers, sugars (corn syrup). Start over :yes:

trustmeimdogsbff

Oct 20, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hi there...plz stop feeding her ALL of that. ESPECIALLY corn syrup!!! Donā€™t worry youā€™re not the first searching n we are here to help :)

If itā€™s kibbles stick to Acana single protein bags so you can start monitoring to which protein she can n canā€™t have for allergies. DONT mean sheā€™ll have any either. Thereā€™s also Fromm, Zignature as good quality kibbles. I prefer Acana as itā€™s the only one that has the highest protein in meat n less legumes as protein. Also after each bag make sure you rotate to a different protein. Do use chicken. Get her immune system use to chicken at a young age n sheā€™ll be able to eat it throughout her lifetime. When theyā€™re pups, itā€™s the best time to try all protein from meats. Start with Duck as itā€™s easier to digest. Acana has Duck, chicken, lamb, pork, beef n fish.

Coconut oil is good n goats milk. Some of the members n myself feed a raw diet. If you can, go for it. Youā€™ll eliminate so many issues down the road, see less of your vet, no tear stains, more fit. If itā€™s kibbles you want, do add raw organ as a topper. Like liver or even heart. Cut it up in pieces n freeze in little ziploc bags.

But yes, definitely stop completely what youā€™re feeding her. Itā€™s all full of grains, fillers, sugars (corn syrup). Start over :yes:

Ohhh maaaan I am so grateful for everyone's help here. I am really happy I found this forum. I actually went to the feed store earlier today after [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] told me about using different kibbles. I had read somewhere here on the forum about 1 star to 6 star food and I read a couple threads, I ended up buying 2 x 4lbs bags of Fromm, one beef and one chicken. I started her on the beef one on her last meal of the day and she ate it all up. I gave her 1/2 a cup (53g) and it equals 200 calories which seems like the correct amount. I will look into a raw diet, I don't know much about that but if its best for Lola, I would like to give her that.

Thank you all so much, I am truly grateful.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ohhh maaaan I am so grateful for everyone's help here. I am really happy I found this forum. I actually went to the feed store earlier today after [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] told me about using different kibbles. I had read somewhere here on the forum about 1 star to 6 star food and I read a couple threads, I ended up buying 2 x 4lbs bags of Fromm, one beef and one chicken. I started her on the beef one on her last meal of the day and she ate it all up. I gave her 1/2 a cup (53g) and it equals 200 calories which seems like the correct amount. I will look into a raw diet, I don't know much about that but if its best for Lola, I would like to give her that.

Thank you all so much, I am truly grateful.

Fromm is also a good brand. You giving her 1/2cup how many times a day? In kibbles, a pup is usually between 2.5-3 cups per day. It is the most important age to get all their nutrients in their first yr for their future. But if you can start a raw diet immediately would even be better. Now days it comes already made. Iā€™m in Canada so I canā€™t tell you what places to buy but [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] can. Simply let them know your area. Citti also buys at co-op or you have butchers, farmers now into raw dog food. Feeding raw isnā€™t just throw a steak n youā€™re done. It needs to be balanced with meat, organs, bones and blood. Why most will buy it already balanced. You definitely can do it yourself. Once youā€™ve mastered it, it extremely easy n you simply freeze her portions. Raw keeps their gut flora balanced n immune system clean. A lot of people donā€™t know but a gut flora if itā€™s not balanced, it definitely will bring loads of health issues and goes for humans. Allergies, skin issues etc...Why my dogs eat raw. They get a tablespoon of fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies every other day as theyā€™re already on a raw diet n organs, itā€™s loaded of probiotics. Itā€™s to have that extra probiotics in their gut. I donā€™t use any supplements unless itā€™s from food source. Below are ideas for you. The marrow bones definitely a must have!! Youā€™ll find them at your grocery store. You can ask a butcher to cut them for your dog size. Yours needs like 3ā€ long. You feed it frozen n not cooked!! Marrow is a great source of probiotics, great for skin, allergies, cartilage, teeth etc. It will also keep them bust for hours n it keeps them from chewing on your furniture n your hands! The tumeric recipe is also for their joints. 1teaspoon every other day if youā€™re feeding raw. If itā€™s kibbles, use raw as a topper n the rest of food item. Better than nothing.

I think this Info will keep you busy for a while.

EXAMPLES
74C38BFC-E104-4F76-8403-73B5428C8702.jpegE96D6848-3C79-4C18-9779-267B4EFB48AC.jpeg572BE4DA-EE82-417C-A2B8-0D31EE31B674.jpeg

Must have in a household!!
7408E33F-7492-4791-9C00-34C280C7EA62.jpegCFB6265E-EBB5-402C-94D7-2159107DD503.jpeg

trustmeimdogsbff

Oct 20, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Fromm is also a good brand. You giving her 1/2cup how many times a day? In kibbles, a pup is usually between 2.5-3 cups per day. It is the most important age to get all their nutrients in their first yr for their future. But if you can start a raw diet immediately would even be better. Now days it comes already made. Iā€™m in Canada so I canā€™t tell you what places to buy but [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] can. Simply let them know your area. Citti also buys at co-op or you have butchers, farmers now into raw dog food. Feeding raw isnā€™t just throw a steak n youā€™re done. It needs to be balanced with meat, organs, bones and blood. Why most will buy it already balanced. You definitely can do it yourself. Once youā€™ve mastered it, it extremely easy n you simply freeze her portions. Raw keeps their gut flora balanced n immune system clean. A lot of people donā€™t know but a gut flora if itā€™s not balanced, it definitely will bring loads of health issues and goes for humans. Allergies, skin issues etc...Why my dogs eat raw. They get a tablespoon of fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies every other day as theyā€™re already on a raw diet n organs, itā€™s loaded of probiotics. Itā€™s to have that extra probiotics in their gut. I donā€™t use any supplements unless itā€™s from food source. Below are ideas for you. The marrow bones definitely a must have!! Youā€™ll find them at your grocery store. You can ask a butcher to cut them for your dog size. Yours needs like 3ā€ long. You feed it frozen n not cooked!! Marrow is a great source of probiotics, great for skin, allergies, cartilage, teeth etc. It will also keep them bust for hours n it keeps them from chewing on your furniture n your hands! The tumeric recipe is also for their joints. 1teaspoon every other day if youā€™re feeding raw. If itā€™s kibbles, use raw as a topper n the rest of food item. Better than nothing.

I think this Info will keep you busy for a while.

EXAMPLES
View attachment 120011View attachment 120012View attachment 120013

Must have in a household!!
View attachment 120009View attachment 120010

Thank you so much for all of this information. I am feeding her 1/2 a cup 3 times a day. I'm not really feeding her by cups, I'm going based off of calories. I found this article here and it explains how to calculate your pet's calorie needs. Based on her weight and age the article says that I'm suppose to feed her 600 calories a day. I am very familiar with calorie intake because I do it for myself, if I need to lose a lbs a week I eat 500 calories less than my maintenance weight if I want to gain 1 lbs a week I eat 500 calories more. I know that all food is not created equal, especially processed food. I am going to start adding raw food to her food, I also read the article that [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] linked about how to switch your puppies food and I do have a question. Do you suggest I switch her over from Purina to Fromm little by little or should I just go straight to Fromm? Her stool since I switched her to Fromm, yesterday, has been solid. I really like everything that you shared with me and I am going to be very busy with that information, thank youuuuu so much.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you so much for all of this information. I am feeding her 1/2 a cup 3 times a day. I'm not really feeding her by cups, I'm going based off of calories. I found this article here and it explains how to calculate your pet's calorie needs. Based on her weight and age the article says that I'm suppose to feed her 600 calories a day. I am very familiar with calorie intake because I do it for myself, if I need to lose a lbs a week I eat 500 calories less than my maintenance weight if I want to gain 1 lbs a week I eat 500 calories more. I know that all food is not created equal, especially processed food. I am going to start adding raw food to her food, I also read the article that [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] linked about how to switch your puppies food and I do have a question. Do you suggest I switch her over from Purina to Fromm little by little or should I just go straight to Fromm? Her stool since I switched her to Fromm, yesterday, has been solid. I really like everything that you shared with me and I am going to be very busy with that information, thank youuuuu so much.

Takes about a week to do 3-5 days to do a transition. Yes stick to Fromm. Since you gave her purina n the corn syrup I would definitely do the transition. Have no clue what your breeder was thinking. But heh, Lola is saved! :yes: lol... keep us posted n keep them photos coming!

trustmeimdogsbff

Oct 20, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Takes about a week to do 3-5 days to do a transition. Yes stick to Fromm. Since you gave her purina n the corn syrup I would definitely do the transition. Have no clue what your breeder was thinking. But heh, Lola is saved! :yes: lol... keep us posted n keep them photos coming!

Well Lola is doing great eating Fromm, I have her on single protein bags right now. I will be reading a lot about raw and will most likely go that route. The breeder called me yesterday and told me to begin adding ground beef as a topper to her kibbles once a day. I will feed her better than she was eating that's for sure, thanks to everyone here helping.

Here's a picture of Lola from when she helped save the world.

EB20120502REVIEWS120509997AR-picsay.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Well Lola is doing great eating Fromm, I have her on single protein bags right now. I will be reading a lot about raw and will most likely go that route. The breeder called me yesterday and told me to begin adding ground beef as a topper to her kibbles once a day. I will feed her better than she was eating that's for sure, thanks to everyone here helping.

Here's a picture of Lola from when she helped save the world.

View attachment 120017

Lolll thatā€™s a cool photo!!!

Donā€™t give ground beef as your kibble has protein. Meat protein is that, protein. Stick to raw organs as organs are your probiotics, vitamins, minerals which protein wonā€™t all hold. Idk your breeder, probably a good person but the way she feed your dog, I would totally avoid any nutrition advice from her. My 2 cents on that.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Prey-Model Raw.

I'm an avid practitioner of the K.I.S.S. principle.

shepard2006

Apr 23, 2021
Oklahoma
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma
We feed our Natures recipe- Salmon, sweet potato & pumpkin She's been on it over 10yrs. we have tried changing it & just changing the protein but she only seems to do good on this one. She gets a scoop in the morning & evening. Her scoop is one of the little plastic cups that come with egg coloring kits.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.