FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

Marte

Jul 26, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barre
When buying a puppy, we were recommended a Royal Canin food.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[h=4]Royal Canin Medium Adult[/h]Dry Dog Food
Estimated Dry Matter Nutrient Content
Protein0100

Fat0100

Carbs0100

Ingredients: Brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, wheat, corn gluten meal, oat groats, chicken fat, natural flavors, dried plain beet pulp, fish oil, calcium carbonate, grain distillers dried yeast, vegetable oil, potassium chloride, monocalcium phosphate, salt, hydrolyzed yeast, l-lysine, choline chloride, vitamins [dl-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), biotin, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, niacin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement], trace minerals (zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, copper proteinate), rosemary extract, preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid
Fiber (estimated dry matter content) = 3.4%
Red items indicate controversial ingredients
Estimated Nutrient Content
MethodProteinFatCarbs
Guaranteed Analysis23%12%NA
Dry Matter Basis26%13%53%
Calorie Weighted Basis23%29%48%
Calorie Weighted BasisProteinFatCarbs
23%
48%
29%
Nutrient Type% Composition
Protein23
Fat29
Carbs48

The first ingredient in this dog food is brewers rice. Brewers rice is a cereal grain by-product consisting of the small fragments left over after milling whole rice. Aside from the caloric energy it contains, this item is of only modest nutritional value to a dog.
The second ingredient is chicken by-product meal, a dry rendered product of slaughterhouse waste. It’s made from what’s left of a slaughtered chicken after all the prime cuts have been removed.
In addition to organs (the nourishing part), this stuff can contain almost anything — feet, beaks, undeveloped eggs — anything except feathers.
On the brighter side, by-product meals are meat concentrates and contain nearly 300% more protein than fresh chicken.
In any case, although this item contains all the amino acids a dog needs, we consider chicken by-products an inexpensive, lower quality ingredient.
The third ingredient is wheat. Like corn, wheat is an inexpensive and controversial cereal grain of only modest nutritional value to a dog.
For this reason, we do not consider wheat a preferred component in any dog food.
The fourth ingredient is corn gluten meal. Gluten is the rubbery residue remaining once corn has had most of its starchy carbohydrate washed out of it.
Although corn gluten meal contains 60% protein, this ingredient would be expected to have a lower biological value than meat.
And less costly plant-based products like this can notably boost the total protein reported on the label — a factor that must be considered when judging the actual meat content of this dog food.
The fifth ingredient includes oat groats, a whole grain, minimally processed form of oats. With the exception of their caloric content and the fact they’re also gluten free, oat groats can be considered average in nutritional value.
The sixth ingredient is chicken fat. Chicken fat is obtained from rendering chicken, a process similar to making soup in which the fat itself is skimmed from the surface of the liquid.
Chicken fat is high in linoleic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid essential for life. Although it doesn’t sound very appetizing, chicken fat is actually a quality ingredient.
After the natural flavor, we find beet pulp. Beet pulp is a controversial ingredient, a high fiber by-product of sugar beet processing.
Some denounce beet pulp as an inexpensive filler while others cite its outstanding intestinal health and blood sugar benefits.
We only call your attention here to the controversy and believe the inclusion of beet pulp in reasonable amounts in most dog foods is entirely acceptable.
The ninth ingredient is fish oil. Fish oil is naturally rich in the prized EPA and DHA type of omega-3 fatty acids. These two high quality fats boast the highest bio-availability to dogs and humans.
Depending on its level of freshness and purity, fish oil should be considered a commendable addition.
From here, the list goes on to include a number of other items.
But to be realistic, ingredients located this far down the list (other than nutritional supplements) are not likely to affect the overall rating of this product.
With four notable exceptions
First, grain distillers dried yeast is a by-product resulting from the fermentation of grains separated from distilling mash as a by-product of the production of ethanol (biofuel).
Even though it contains over 40% protein, this ingredient would be expected to have a lower biological value than meat.
And less costly plant-based products like this can notably boost the total protein reported on the label — a factor that must be considered when judging the meat content of this dog food.
Next, vegetable oil is a generic oil of unknown origin. The ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fats in any oil is nutritionally critical and can vary significantly (depending on the source).
Without knowing more, it’s impossible to judge the quality of an item so vaguely described. However, compared to a named animal fat, a generic vegetable oil cannot be considered a quality ingredient.
In addition, we find no mention of probiotics, friendly bacteria applied to the surface of the kibble after processing to help with digestion.
And lastly, this food contains chelated minerals, minerals that have been chemically attached to protein. This makes them easier to absorb. Chelated minerals are usually found in better dog foods.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I swear when I read this CRAP Royal Canin.....My skin crawls!!!! Should be a law making Sh*t like that! I will stop saying “you have a dog not a cow”. Crap I wouldn’t even feed that to a cow!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Chiming with helsbelles!! ha!ha!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
hahahahahah YEP! "chime" lololololol you guys crack me up!!

LolaLouise

Feb 13, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Louise
Well we are feeding Lola RC bulldog puppy, but I guess we will transition her to Fromms heartland gold grain free puppy.
The Royal Canine has seemed fine so far only thing is, she does have tear stains and Awesome farts.
She is 7 months old now and I guess we will try something new and transition to grain free now.
How long should she be on puppy food anyway ?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well we are feeding Lola RC bulldog puppy, but I guess we will transition her to Fromms heartland gold grain free puppy.
The Royal Canine has seemed fine so far only thing is, she does have tear stains and Awesome farts.
She is 7 months old now and I guess we will try something new and transition to grain free now.
How long should she be on puppy food anyway ?

At least 10 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trustmeimdogsbff

Oct 20, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I feed Lola Purina ProPlan for Puppies, I blend it to make it into powder, I then add boiling water, coconut oil, corn syrup, Evangers canned food (different flavors) and goat milk, I mix it all together and serve. But I am really new to all of this and I think there is a better way to feed her after reading some of the food other members feed their companions.

jsygrls

Jul 17, 2020
Port Orange Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Charles Barkley aka "Bubba"
I became a three year old bulldog owner 9 months ago. Bubba came to me with a bag Of Hills GI Biome, the previous owner shared, he has very loose stools, tear stains, folds dampness that seem constant . Stay with me here, I decided to change up foods, I'm a new owner, I pick bag that had a picture of a Bulldog on it, its has to be good for him, RIGHT.
RC...well nothing much change for Bubba. Then I found this forum and with it lots of great information on lot different areas. After looking at blogs regarding food MY RC went to the trash dump.
I also referenced several dog food adviser sites . Bubba change to and, is now eating Blue Buffalo Wilderness grain free. What a great improvement in ALL that mentioned areas of concern. image.jpgimage.jpg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I feed Lola Purina ProPlan for Puppies, I blend it to make it into powder, I then add boiling water, coconut oil, corn syrup, Evangers canned food (different flavors) and goat milk, I mix it all together and serve. But I am really new to all of this and I think there is a better way to feed her after reading some of the food other members feed their companions.

Why would you add corn syrup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online