Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
Hello,
I have been feeding
Hill's Ideal Balance Adult Grain Free Natural Salmon & Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food. My bulldog has continued to get hot spots and inter-digital swelling. He's a rescue boy and has been stinky since I've had him. He's been on several different foods and his skin is better than it was but I just can't quite get to problem free.

I'm really frustrated now that I learned that the food I have been feeding contains chicken. I had no idea! I purchased Merrick Limited
Ingredient Diet Real Salmon and Sweet Potato Recipe Dog Food, which says it contains no chicken right on the package, I bought this on recommendation after learning my food wasn't what I thought it was but then I didn't find it on the list on the forum and wonder if it's okay. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks so much,
Kalyn

You might try a different protein source. Our Charley cannot handle salmon at all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello,
I have been feeding
Hill's Ideal Balance Adult Grain Free Natural Salmon & Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food. My bulldog has continued to get hot spots and inter-digital swelling. He's a rescue boy and has been stinky since I've had him. He's been on several different foods and his skin is better than it was but I just can't quite get to problem free.

I'm really frustrated now that I learned that the food I have been feeding contains chicken. I had no idea! I purchased Merrick Limited
Ingredient Diet Real Salmon and Sweet Potato Recipe Dog Food, which says it contains no chicken right on the package, I bought this on recommendation after learning my food wasn't what I thought it was but then I didn't find it on the list on the forum and wonder if it's okay. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks so much,
Kalyn

Merrick used to be a real good food but they were recently bought but Purina-- so time will tell.

My girl was vert allergic to chicken and could not handle salmon --- try pork or beef and see how he does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I give my girl , naked food by Protein For Pets.

Just curious if your still using the "naked food" (I believe it's sojo's?) I was using and liked but didn't stick with it. I cant even remember why now :/ If so, how is it going with it? thanks :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Charley is getting the new American made single protein Acana and is doing well. Had him on another food for awhile but have come back to Acana.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I read somewhere in the new Kentucky Plant someone's dog got sick from tne American plant. Hang on let me gomlook for the post

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Shawna Murdockan hour agoThe new Acana from the plant in Kentucky instead of Canada made my dog super ill. Also read online many people complaining of the new formula from the new plant making their dogs ill. Received one reply to my comment from a lady whose dog died of liver failure 3 weeks after the new Acana formula. I included the screen shot of her post as I believe people need to know this ! Click the VIEW button and read her post........
Shawna Murdockan hour agoThe new Acana from the plant in Kentucky instead of Canada made my dog super ill. Also read online many people complaining of the new formula from the new plant making their dogs ill. Received one reply to my comment from a lady whose dog died of liver failure 3 weeks after the new Acana formula. I included the screen shot of her post as I believe people need to know this ! Click the VIEW button and read her post.*Hide

original.jpeg

Ive been very business with a company in food industry I own and I also cook for Nyala. Days I have to bring Nyala to my sons to babysit so shes not 12 hours on her own. Im thinking putting her on Acana but from Canada only 2 x a week when im gone with ACV in her water so she doesn't get crystal in her urine again. Acana is owned by Champion who also makes Orijen which I adore and made here in Alberta. Its a Canadian company. I would stick to the Canadian plant for sure. But thats me.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Just curious if your still using the "naked food" (I believe it's sojo's?) I was using and liked but didn't stick with it. I cant even remember why now :/ If so, how is it going with it? thanks :)

I am no longer using it. Miss Porkchop got the wrong ingredient chicken! I found out it's not grain free. P4P were good about it the return and exchanged it .I got her usually Canidae salmon for life.
After, this experience no more . They do have a grain free product. Our bullies high maintenance, as a mom my concerns are for her best interest.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I read somewhere in the new Kentucky Plant someone's dog got sick from tne American plant. Hang on let me gomlook for the post

Monty was on the Canadian Acana for months and doing very well. We had to change to American made Acana (Canadian no longer available here) which was a complete change in ingredients and lo and behold, two months later he had a big yeast outbreak, ear infection and tail pocket infection. Can I say say it's the Acana for sure, no, but I am not taking any chances and he is now on Zignature. Fingers crossed.

BellaSmalls

Oct 18, 2016
Sunny California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Leah
My Bella was on Merrick's from the time we got her to about 5 months, then we switched her to Orijen puppy. Now that she's 1 we have her on Orijen Six Fish which she seems to love. We've been having tear stain issues but they seemed to have started while she was on the Merrick's. Other than that no complaints! We also noticed since she's been on this brand of food her coat is super shiny!

UgaJohnson

Nov 7, 2016
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Uga
I'm a new bulldog mom & still learning . Is the shedding and paw licking a reaction to allergies?? I had no idea! Uga licks her paws & sheds like crazy!
I give her Royal Canin for bulldog puppies, but her stooos are really runny.
Is Fromm sold in pet stores? I need to switch her food!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm a new bulldog mom & still learning . Is the shedding and paw licking a reaction to allergies?? I had no idea! Uga licks her paws & sheds like crazy!
I give her Royal Canin for bulldog puppies, but her stooos are really runny.
Is Fromm sold in pet stores? I need to switch her food!

Welcome... yes, RC is a low grade food. Fromm is a good choice as are Acana, Orijen, Earthborn Holistic and The Honest Kitchen.

None of these foods are in Petco or Petsmart... look in local pet stores or Chewy dot com

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm doing it first thing tomorrow! Thanks

Slow transition.. slowly over 5-7 days mix the foods till you are at 100% if mew food

chopkins

Nov 15, 2013
Chicago, IL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ernie
Currently, Ernie has been fed Natural Balance, sweet potato/venison formula the past 5 years, however, he is now 6.5 years old and I've noticed that his ears/yeast infection seem to be getting worse as he grows older. He seems to be drooling a lot more too...I am going to switch to Fromm this week. Wish me luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.