FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

TXBullyBrothers

May 3, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk, Harley Fatboy
We started on Blue Buffalo Salmon, then went to Blue Wilderness, then per vets orders went to Royal Canine Special Protein, then per vet orders to Royal Canine Hydrolyzed Protein... And yuck! Not only was it making Harley Fatboy throw up pretty frequently, but I was nauseous from the $90 bag 2x a month!! So... I did some research and now we have been on Victor Yukon Salmon and Sweet Potato (grain free). The only thing that had improved is the vomitting... We are still battling skin, shedding, paw licking/biting, smelly, itchy and eyes gunked up. �� Gotta look elsewhere.. Been contemplating Fromm. Wish there was a review of Victor but as far as I know its only made and sold here in Texas.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We started on Blue Buffalo Salmon, then went to Blue Wilderness, then per vets orders went to Royal Canine Special Protein, then per vet orders to Royal Canine Hydrolyzed Protein... And yuck! Not only was it making Harley Fatboy throw up pretty frequently, but I was nauseous from the $90 bag 2x a month!! So... I did some research and now we have been on Victor Yukon Salmon and Sweet Potato (grain free). The only thing that had improved is the vomitting... We are still battling skin, shedding, paw licking/biting, smelly, itchy and eyes gunked up. �� Gotta look elsewhere.. Been contemplating Fromm. Wish there was a review of Victor but as far as I know its only made and sold here in Texas.
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION].... any info on Victor? I thought someone feed this at one point, but can not remember?

@Txbullybrotheres.... have you had a full blood screen allergy test done? it could be he is allergic to the fish/salmon, even though you changed brnads, you kept the same protein.... I would stay grain free, but switch to pork or turkey protein and see if there is any improvement. if you opt to go Fromm, try pork and peas.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014

I used to feed my boys Victor (Senior, healthy weight). It is a good food but I changed when we got Monty as he was scratching and I wasn't sure why. Many foods later he is on Acana and all is well so far. You can go to Dog Food Advisor and check their ratings on Victor.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
My breeder had all his on Victor. Victor is mainly sold in local feed stores. Both of mine were on it for a while as well - with no issues. Beautiful coats and normal stools. I'm actually giving Lockjaw Victor Yukon salmon and sweet potatoe right now.
Look on Amazon for reviews. They are all great. Dog food advisor gives their food 5 stars as well.
Penny (I'm sure) is allergic to chicken and potatoes (and chicken is in all of Victor recipes). So she's been eating TOTW - pine forest and is doing well on it.
I want to say they've had very few to no recalls. Most of their ingredients are locally sourced as well.
It's not a hugely popular food- but a very good quality food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
To add to Corines post, the Victor company are very easy to talk to. I had a couple of questions when I put Chumly on it and they were very helpful when I called. If Monty hadn't started scratching, he would be on it now! It is also very reasonably priced, not expensive.

TXBullyBrothers

May 3, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk, Harley Fatboy
Awesome! Thank you! I actually stopped and talked to a breeder that was delivering pups.. And he recommended it. (I just wanted to see the cute pups and of course we got to talkin! LOL) its been a few months and I havent seen any improvements other than less vomitting, but maybe it needs more time.. I saw some of the reviews on Amazon they all seemed great! Im gonna give it some more time. We'll see. I will let ya know ;) your bullies are soO cute!! I kinda want a girl now.. ��

TXBullyBrothers

May 3, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk, Harley Fatboy
I have not done a blood allergy screen. I should brigg that up with the Vet. We would definitely benefit from it with Harley. Chunk is really not allergy prone.. But the vet has not mentioned it before?? How odd.. They even gave him a prescription for some new allergy pill. I will talk to the vet and let ya know. I was thinking to try a different protein first.. Because we thought they needed to stay on the salmon but Im finding out they definitely do not have to stay on it. I will keep you posted. Thanks!

k3v0615

May 23, 2016
Country
Unites States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor
i just changed Thor to Fromm 4 star pork and peas and he loves it. no more shedding and solid poops now too. i changed him from nature's balance lamb and sweet potato.

Patti

Jul 28, 2012
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
We started out with Blue Buffalo, but when my daughter & I did some research on cruelty free products, we learned that Blue is NOT cruelty free, so now we alternate between SolidGold & Fromm.

Pheebee

Aug 1, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I have not got my puppy yet but the breeder has him on kirkland ,which I am changing. We are going to have him on raw food diet and a powder supplement 3 times a week and also Greek yogurt 2 a week. For his teeth I have not decided on yet but no rawhide or cheap bones to chew on I read antlers are good for them to chew on but we will see.

crd539

May 26, 2015
Northwest Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Acana singles duck and Bartlett pear. We are getting it from chewy dot com and are very happy with the quality and results. No tear stains, no yeast in face folds or tail pocket, very little gas. Two solid poops a day and no digestion issues so far. Previously have been on diamond naturals then fromm 4 star pork and peas.

May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Fromm Heartland Gold Grain-Free Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food. Started the switch (mixing) at eight weeks from the breeders brand and no problems at all, since I kind of live in BFE I order it and like Chewy's excellent CS and pricing.

Kalyn

May 1, 2014
Western KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Hello,
I have been feeding
Hill's Ideal Balance Adult Grain Free Natural Salmon & Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food. My bulldog has continued to get hot spots and inter-digital swelling. He's a rescue boy and has been stinky since I've had him. He's been on several different foods and his skin is better than it was but I just can't quite get to problem free.

I'm really frustrated now that I learned that the food I have been feeding contains chicken. I had no idea! I purchased Merrick Limited
Ingredient Diet Real Salmon and Sweet Potato Recipe Dog Food, which says it contains no chicken right on the package, I bought this on recommendation after learning my food wasn't what I thought it was but then I didn't find it on the list on the forum and wonder if it's okay. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks so much,
Kalyn

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online