FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
We just adopted our bulldog last month. We are trying to find a food that works for her. Last night we picked up a bag of Fromm's but we did not get the grain-free. She has only been on it for two meals so far so we haven't seen any change but reading this it seems that most people recommend the grain-free. Has anyone had luck with the non grain-free? Hate to think that I just wasted a bunch of money on food that I shouldn't be feeding her.
Thanks!

I accidentally bought a formula of Fromm that wasn't grain free...pork and applesauce. I thought they were all grain free so I didn't even check. I fed it to our bulldog anyways but after two weeks we noticed some bad signs. She started itching and shedding like crazy. I also noticed a few spots where her hair was getting thin. Before this she was fine so we are assuming it's from the grain. I still have half a bag left but I'll be donating it to a local shelter and I bought a new grain free food tonight.

WhitneyBlanche

Mar 3, 2015
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
I accidentally bought a formula of Fromm that wasn't grain free...pork and applesauce. I thought they were all grain free so I didn't even check. I fed it to our bulldog anyways but after two weeks we noticed some bad signs. She started itching and shedding like crazy. I also noticed a few spots where her hair was getting thin. Before this she was fine so we are assuming it's from the grain. I still have half a bag left but I'll be donating it to a local shelter and I bought a new grain free food tonight.

I put her on grain free last night! Thanks to English Bulldog News and Fromms we won a free bag of Fromms dog food so we're trying the grain free. We will keep her on it if we notice a positive change. We're hoping it will clear her tear stains up. We clean them every day and that helps a lot but they're still not as good as I'd like them to be. Fingers crossed!

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Breakfast: Fromm Pork & Peas
Dinner: Fromm Pork & Peas , Coconut Oil, Fermented Fish Stock
Treats: Apples, Bananas, Watermelon, Freeze Dried Fish, Plain Yogurt, Frosty Paws (Special Treat)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@rigginssluv11 how much fermented fish stock are you adding to the meal?

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella who is 6 months now gets 2 feeds a day.
Diet is raw;
Chicken (all meaty parts with bone, necks, liver, heart, gizzard)
Beef (boneless cubes, heart, liver, kidney)
Eggs (raw and boiled)
Veggies (boiled carrots/beans/broccoli, cucumber, leafy veggies)
Fruits (banana, orange, watermelon, apple)
Cottage cheese, buttermilk, milk (very rarely), rice and bread (when we run out of regular food)
No known allergies

250 gms (about 1/2 lb) raw meaty bones with in the morning and evening
One egg a day (morning or evening)
Fruit/veggies/cottage-cheese in the afternoon
Salmon oil or flaxseed oil as supplements (one tbsp day)

She is 17 Kg (about 38 lbs) height (15 inches), though her neck, head and chest are filling up
Can be categorized as hyper active

Thanks,
Raghu

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
My girl has been on basically all that has been mentioned except the royal canin kind. She has issues with all the higher end dog foods. I was completely bummed when even fromm didn't work for her in any of the flavors. I even went as far as getting her raw boost kibble and boy oh boy did that ever mess her up. While all of these wonderful dog foods are fabulous on her hair, skin ect the flip side of that would be that they mess with her being able to go poop and or constipating her. I get so excited when she is shedding less and no goop in her eyes and no itching but then her poop begins to be a little harder. I definitely don't like that. I have had her thouroughly checked out and had her poop sent out to make sure it to was okay but all comes back normal and she seems to always end up back on the prescription canned food from Iams for digestive which is what I do her transitions with when putting her on a dog food to make it easier on her digestive system. Works fabulous and she does love it but canned food is extremely expensive and she loves her food. I literally have to mix a bland diet food with it to be able to financially keep up with it. I just ordered to dry kibble and am waiting on it to arrive this week to see how she is going to do on this food in kibble form. I am going to continue mixing the bland diet in it because she does love the mixture. I have had to cut out the rice due to causing yeast growth and change over to a noodle but she still enjoys the boiled hamburger /canned dog food/noodle. No flair ups to date with this but never ordered dog food online so hoping soon it will get here so I can see how the kibble works of the prescription formula.

Liberty Guzman

Aug 20, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
My dog has lots of allergies and consent drainage from his eyes and yest in the wrinkle above his nose .. he sheds a lot and I mean a lot ... His coat is thin and not so soft or shinny ... I need to get him on the right food I do believe.. need some help for my active buddy .. want him to feel Bette

mackbob

Sep 1, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bob (Bobman)
I've been feeding Bob raw since day one. He gets a variety of raw. Sometimes stella chewys or primal dehydrated. other times i make a ground venison mix with bone and greens. I've fed him Fromm's a few times as a treat only because i was curious to see how he would do on that kibble and he did great! He also gets cooked meat here and there but 95% of his diet is raw and he does quite well.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I feed my boys raw. Half I purchase at grocery stores, the other half prepped by a rawfeeder who sells in bulk. We started on the diet once we realized Stiggy was having trouble with any type of kibble we tried, even the high-end ones. Once we switched, we saw a drastic change, in a very short amount of time.

Kristiewinters

Feb 5, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella & Patron
How long after switching foods before you see improvements? I know I will need to experiment with many before I find the right fit but I don't know how long to leave them on each food before moving on.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
How long after switching foods before you see improvements? I know I will need to experiment with many before I find the right fit but I don't know how long to leave them on each food before moving on.

I would say at the very minimum a month or more.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I just started with Acana (fish) a couple weeks ago. Not really sure it's the best food for them yet. They were on Orijen fish prior to this and Earthborn Holistic before that. I wish I could know right away which food works best for them but it's definitely been a lot of trial and error.

penguinspam

Feb 13, 2016
Poole, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty
I feed Betty Wainwright's Potato and Salmon with some added coconut oil. She seems to be doing ok on it so far, but to be fair it's only been about 2 weeks since we got her.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I feed Betty Wainwright's Potato and Salmon with some added coconut oil. She seems to be doing ok on it so far, but to be fair it's only been about 2 weeks since we got her.

Hi, I'm not familiar with this brand, and I don't see it listed on the Dog Food Ratings, so I don't know what the quality or the ingredients in the food are, so can't make a comment if it is a good food or not. It may be a UK brand, maybe some members from the UK can give some information or advice on foods available in the UK.

penguinspam

Feb 13, 2016
Poole, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty
Hi, I'm not familiar with this brand, and I don't see it listed on the Dog Food Ratings, so I don't know what the quality or the ingredients in the food are, so can't make a comment if it is a good food or not. It may be a UK brand, maybe some members from the UK can give some information or advice on foods available in the UK.

Here are the ingredients: Composition and Nutrition: Ingredient(s): Salmon Fish Meal (26%), Potato Starch ( 26%), Sorghum (19%), Barley (10%), Rapeseed Oil (7%), Sugar Beet Pulp (6%), Whole Linseed (4%), Alfalfa (1%), Minerals (includes Yucca Extract 200mg.kg, Marigold Meal 50mg/kg, Rosemary Extract 5mg/kg), Seaweed (0.5%) Additives: Nutritional Additives; Vitamin A 17,00IU/kg, Vitamin D3 2,00IU/kg, Vitamin E (a - Tocopherol) 550mg/kg, Zinc Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 200mg/kg, Manganese Oxide 156mg/kg, Iron Sulphate Monohydrate 97mg/kg, Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate 20mg/kg, Selenised Yeast, inactivated 8.7mg/kg, Sodium Selenite 6.5mg/kg, Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 3.3mg/kg, Calcium 2.78mg/kg, Phosphorus 1.37mg/kg, Omega 6 4.52mg/kg, Omega 3 1.11mg/kg. Typical Analysis: Protein 21%, Crude Fibre 3%, Oils and Fats 11%, Crude Ash 7%, Moisture 10%

I think it is supposed to be one of the better dry dog foods over here, but advice welcome!

Orlando Diaz

Feb 24, 2016
Hi got a 6 month bulldog sofia she is on raw food for the past 3 1/5 months but im been feeding her with chicken only and of course veggies yogurt and fish oil

i think she is develop a skin allergy. i just want to know if bella still doing ok on raw and no allergy.. thanks

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.