FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Thanks! I live near the middle of nowhere but thank goodness for USPS, UPS, and FedEx which allow me to get most everything we need that stores around here don't have!

I've considered learning to ferment and have put it off, but now here is my excuse to try it as we will enjoy them even if Buttercup turns out not to be a fan.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Thanks! I live near the middle of nowhere but thank goodness for USPS, UPS, and FedEx which allow me to get most everything we need that stores around here don't have!

I've considered learning to ferment and have put it off, but now here is my excuse to try it as we will enjoy them even if Buttercup turns out not to be a fan.

Would love to hear how it works for you, I will try at some point to try and cut some feeding cost but have little time right now.

Violet

Jan 28, 2015
uk
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
Shame you don't live in uk our dog was just the same wouldn't eat for days till we found this Millie's wolfheart pedigree dog shows use a lot of this food it contains meat proteins which are complete proteins and are far more digestible its gluten and grain free he's only 7months but his allergys have gone & also his behaviour is so good now :yes:

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am getting quite confused with what to feed my dog. I looked at the 5 recommended foods and they are high in protein but then in another section it says this:

What should I be looking for in Dog Food when it comes to the English Bulldog Breed?
A: More commonly, you should look for a food that is grain & corn free, has plenty of enzymes and probiotics, and a good source of protein. Typically, unless you have a rare case of an active bulldog (a skateboarder for example), you want to feed less cups per day than what is recommended on the bag by half, and definitely want to reduce the protein intake. Grain & corn free is best for most bulldogs. With much study and investigation, we have found what we think are the best dog foods on the market for bulldogs. Click the link below to view our Top 5 Foods, and more importantly, WHY we choose these foods.

So my question is.... which is it? High or low protein?

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I think in general high-protein is bad. But what Falls into the category of high-protein? We feed Fromm. I know a lot of bulldog owners on the site feed it also. We feed the grain free and you can actually switch between the proteins if you choose something initially that doesn't work or you're just looking for a change

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I think in general high-protein is bad. But what Falls into the category of high-protein? We feed Fromm. I know a lot of bulldog owners on the site feed it also. We feed the grain free and you can actually switch between the proteins if you choose something initially that doesn't work or you're just looking for a change

I'm curious to know where Fromm's falls in on this as well…

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Another reason I ask about the protein is that since we have had Monty our grass is turning yellow and dying where he pee's. I know it sometimes happens with females but this is a first for any male dog we have ever had and doesn't happen with our other dog. We follow him around with a watering can to try and dilute it but that doesn't seem to be working! When i asked the Vet about it and he said it was too much protein in his urine and to lower the protein intake. Not an easy job with the premium foods. I also tried to do some research online and it says the Ph is too high which is caused by minerals. My head is spinning!! I certainly want to do the best for him but I also don't want what little grass we do have to die and become a mud pit which is where we are heading. I don't know which way to turn at this point!! Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
This is a VERY reputable and highly respected world-wide breeder of French and English bulldogs, located in California. I HIGHLY recommend everyone take a look at her website explaining why high protein raw diet is by far the healthiest choice for your dog [breeder link removed]
Also, on the website there is a link to an amazing talk by Dr. Becker (veterinary doctor), who gives an eye opening talk about kibble and raw food diet for dogs. I personally loved the talk and would recommend it to all dog owners. In case you prefer listening the talk on yourtube (or would like to share the link with other people), I went ahead and located a direct link to the talk by Dr. Becker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx2YIIpF4cc

Last edited by a moderator:

BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
We are now on Royal Canine Urinary.. Had George on Orijin and Fromm. I loved what the Fromm Beef Fritatta did for his allergies and ear infections but the vet and husband think that the high protein messed up his pH causing our most recent issue with bladder stones and a surgery. We won't know for sure until the results come back I assume but we are on a constant food search. Once I get the go ahead I am looking into something from the Honest Kitchenas suggested by a few people on here!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, I really don't want Monty to end up with bladder stones. He is a healthy boy, no allergies or anything like that thank goodness and of course I want to keep it that way. I have been checking the premium dog foods for a lower protein level and tomorrow I am going to get the strips to check his Ph levels in his urine to see if it is within range. Fingers crossed it is. When we first got him he was on Royal Canin Bulldog and I wanted to find another food for him. He has been on Victor healthy weight since then but maybe the protein level is too high in it. I have to watch his weight too so it also has to be a lower calorie food. Will check out Honest Kitchen.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Well, I really don't want Monty to end up with bladder stones. He is a healthy boy, no allergies or anything like that thank goodness and of course I want to keep it that way. I have been checking the premium dog foods for a lower protein level and tomorrow I am going to get the strips to check his Ph levels in his urine to see if it is within range. Fingers crossed it is. When we first got him he was on Royal Canin Bulldog and I wanted to find another food for him. He has been on Victor healthy weight since then but maybe the protein level is too high in it. I have to watch his weight too so it also has to be a lower calorie food. Will check out Honest Kitchen.

Honest kitchen is a great choice, they also have a base mix I think and you add fresh protein to it, I don't know much about maintaining ph levels but sounds like something you can control with that diet. Best of luck and I really pray it works for you both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhitneyBlanche

Mar 3, 2015
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
We just adopted our bulldog last month. We are trying to find a food that works for her. Last night we picked up a bag of Fromm's but we did not get the grain-free. She has only been on it for two meals so far so we haven't seen any change but reading this it seems that most people recommend the grain-free. Has anyone had luck with the non grain-free? Hate to think that I just wasted a bunch of money on food that I shouldn't be feeding her.
Thanks!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We just adopted our bulldog last month. We are trying to find a food that works for her. Last night we picked up a bag of Fromm's but we did not get the grain-free. She has only been on it for two meals so far so we haven't seen any change but reading this it seems that most people recommend the grain-free. Has anyone had luck with the non grain-free? Hate to think that I just wasted a bunch of money on food that I shouldn't be feeding her.
Thanks!

I'd say give her time to see how she does on it. Fromms is great food, I'd say a good percentage of bullies experience allergies from food which is why grain free is always the best option. However, test it out. If within 2-3 weeks you notice any redness, (especially her belly area & face) or itching, excessive licking, brown tear stains - then def switch over to grain free. If you notice no change, then keep her on it, all are different as to what they do well on, but only time will tell. It may take a full bag for her to fully show signs (if any) - good luck!

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Breeder our Brett on Kirkland Nature Domain. He actually is doing of with it. But I just ordered TOTW High Prairie. I'll see how he reacts to it. Another choice is Fromm and Wellness Core.

Edward Atmaja

Mar 17, 2015
Country
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
Dobby
I have been feeding my Dobby with Orijen (50/50 Combination of Six Star and Regional Red), Nupro, and also Grizzly Salmon Oil. He has always been healthy and energetic!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.